03+ 4Runner/GX470, & 05+ Tacomas 4th gen 4Runners & 5th gen trucks

2009 4Runner Trail Edition: Now with locking rear diff.!

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 02:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Merlin
hmm... good info.

maybe toyota limited it to this package because they figured people would be replacing a bunch of stuff anyway, so no sense selling them stuff they're only going to take off anyway? this way you sorta get a barebones package to start building.

That could be their logic.... less stuff to go wrong on the trail.

But then you look at the new Landcruiser with every bell and whistle you could want.

There's things I really like about this, but I think offering the 6 Speed mated up to the V-6 (it's the same V-6 in the Tacoma's and FJ right?) would really help sway some people. Plus maybe an inch or 2 higher ride height.

While I think it's really a step in the right direction, I don't think it offers enough for the people want a 4Runner that can wheel with the FJ's. But then I guess if you want something that wheels like an FJ you could just buy one huh?

I really want to see one in person and see how it feels compared to a regular SR5 or Limited.
Old 11-10-2008, 04:30 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i like that package, it's great to see new off road packages in TOYOTA again rather than mall crawler options.
Old 11-10-2008, 07:19 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by EvaMonky
I really want to see one in person and see how it feels compared to a regular SR5 or Limited.
Me too, but there aren't any in my county yet. Just a guess, but I've owned two FJ's, one with stock suspension, the other with OEM Bilsteins. The Bilsteins made a big improvement. Ride motions are better damped, especially pitch, and rates f/r are well balanced. The stock shocks made the FJ feel like it there was a big hinge in the middle of the frame. The Bilsteins give a more evenly matched wheel control on and off road. I hope the TE is similar.

BTW, I stand corrected on the fog lights, sorry. The TE deletes them for some reason, so I'll retrofit an OEM kit.

You're right about ride height. I can gain an easy inch with tires. But, I think it's the rear overhang that will eventually cause problems off-road.

Any yes, the 1GR is shared with other models. Beefy, though, with forged rods, cross-bolted main bearings, oil cooled piston crowns, chain drive cams, and VVT-i. Very nice engine that pulls strongly throughout the rev band from about 1,800 rpm up. Given that the TE is nearly the same weight and geared the same as an FJ but with better aerodynamics, it should make for a versatile DD and occasional expedition rig with good tires.

Anyway, I'm pumped about the TE. Yeah, I'd prefer an M/T (and fog lights), but I haven't found the perfect car or truck yet. I just hope mine arrives before the usual round of January price increases.
Old 11-10-2008, 08:16 AM

BT17R -

What dealer are you working with and what was your final negotiated price vs. invoice?

TIA
Old 11-10-2008, 02:30 PM

I see one problem with the new Trail Edition!! The TomTom GPS!!!! I owned 3 different unit's and even on the most known Highway in Canada " Hwy#1" It said I was either 2miles north or 2miles to the South from my current location!! Come on toyota get a Garmin in there!! But other then that it looks like it will be an awesome model !! LoL
Old 11-10-2008, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by EvaMonky
While I think it's really a step in the right direction, I don't think it offers enough for the people want a 4Runner that can wheel with the FJ's. But then I guess if you want something that wheels like an FJ you could just buy one huh?
I almost bought an FJC a year ago, but just couldn't handle the useless back seats. Plus the suicide doors were a pain to get in and out of. I liked the 4Runner, but just felt they had gone too soft for my taste.

This TE, I believe, will be just as capable as the FJC's and actually have a usable rear seat, and 4 doors. Combine with e-locker (thank you, Toyota!), center diff, ATRAC, plus the other doo-dads, and you've got a winner. The stock fogs don't light up worth crap anyway, so they will not be missed.

I am trying to see if the Mrs. will let her Corolla go for this.
Old 11-10-2008, 02:53 PM
Contributing Member

mac, I'm a registered Toyota fleet buyer (see their site for details) so my numbers are different than retail buyers.

Jay, agreed, a Garmin would've been nice. Check the TomTom link in Corey's post and you'll see it's nicely integrated into the other electronics onboard, even if it'll get you lost.

Last edited by BT17R; 11-10-2008 at 07:12 PM.
Old 11-11-2008, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by BT17R

Anyway, I'm pumped about the TE. Yeah, I'd prefer an M/T (and fog lights), but I haven't found the perfect car or truck yet. I just hope mine arrives before the usual round of January price increases.
Please educate me. You have placed an order for a new 4runner but Toyota hasn't/can't/won't commit to a price? Considering the current state of the economy, I would expect all automakers would bend over backwards to accomodate serious buyers. Personally, I would walk under those circumstances and take my chances later in the year.
Old 11-11-2008, 06:27 PM
Contributing Member

I do have a firm, fixed price at today's prices. Toyota has never offered price protection, so if you special order your cars as I do through the fleet system, you're subject to any increase that may occur prior to the invoice date (when the ship pulls into your POE).
Old 11-11-2008, 07:55 PM

OK. Thanks for the explanation. It will be interesting to see how the auto industry shakes out over the next year or so.
Old 11-11-2008, 08:02 PM
Contributing Member

Yeah, it's going to be a rough ride I'm afraid.

The scary part about the next round of pricing is that they may actually cut prices to stimulate sales. It's happened to me once before when I missed the cut by days. I don't think it'll happen to 'Runner though, it's still their 2nd best selling SUV behind RAV4.
Old 11-11-2008, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by BT17R
The scary part about the next round of pricing is that they may actually cut prices to stimulate sales.
Thats what I'm hoping for. I'm really keen on getting one of these but really can't do anything until Jan/Feb. I'll just have to see what the atmosphere is at that point.
Old 11-12-2008, 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by cackalak han
I almost bought an FJC a year ago, but just couldn't handle the useless back seats. Plus the suicide doors were a pain to get in and out of. I liked the 4Runner, but just felt they had gone too soft for my taste.

This TE, I believe, will be just as capable as the FJC's and actually have a usable rear seat, and 4 doors. Combine with e-locker (thank you, Toyota!), center diff, ATRAC, plus the other doo-dads, and you've got a winner. The stock fogs don't light up worth crap anyway, so they will not be missed.

I am trying to see if the Mrs. will let her Corolla go for this.
I know the seats are pretty small on the '03's. Even with the front seats moved forward I was surprised by the lack of legroom. But there's plenty of space in the back. But I would imagine they have added an inch or 2 since then.

I am hoping it's as capable as the FJ. But you have to wonder if they would make it as, or more capable than their flagship "offroader".

I think Toyota is heading back in the right direction. With the popularity of the FJ we might start seeing a push back to trucks with a larger focus on offroad performance.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for the 6 Speed. Then I will get one .
Old 11-23-2008, 10:01 AM

Now if they'd only offer a diesel engine option I'd be back in debt. I like the direction they are going with this. A diesel manual tranny 4Runner with at least one factory locker would be just about perfect.

Last edited by lathamb; 11-23-2008 at 10:03 AM.