03+ 4Runner/GX470, & 05+ Tacomas 4th gen 4Runners & 5th gen trucks

2003 4Runner thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2003, 04:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 4Runner thoughts

I'm thinking about getting a 2003 4Runner and thought I'd run my thoughts past the forum to get your thoughts.

My requirements for my next vehicle are 1) quiet, comfortable commuter on my 25 mile urban commute, 2) beach vehicle, 3) hunting rig on easy trails, 4) more room to go to BJ's, the dump, etc. I live in MA and have a heavy foot. So 4WD is a requirement.

My current car has heated seats and I've decided that I will never willingly own a vehicle without them (this past winter was a b*tch). I also have a heavy foot and liked the 4.7 V8 when I test drove it today. I also want the side airbags.

If you add that all up, you arrive at a V8 Limited, which is more than I would prefer to spend. And most of the Ltds come with a sunroof, which I could easily live without.

On my test drive, I found the seats to be only ok at best. The lumber support was mushy and there was little, if any, lateral support.

So, what to do? I could get a V8 SR5 or Sport and add Recaro seats. That would save money and get me heated seats (provided I could find someone more skilled than I to install them). However, it is my understanding that few SR5s and Sports have side airbags (and the Recaros would negate the side airbags but not the side curtain). Or go whole hog and get the Ltd and hope the seats work out.

What about XREAS? The 4Runner I drove had XREAS. I didn't drive one without it. Handling seemed to be ok. I'm new to trucks (my current car is a GTI). I felt a bit of directional instability, which I suspect may be due to the large tires. Under hard braking, the back felt like it got a bit light. I'm guessing that both are due to the fact that I was driving a truck, after all. While I'd enjoy doing some offroad driving, most of it is likely to be 1) driving on the beach at Martha's Vineyard, 2) driving down a relatively tame dirt road to go hunting. I'm unlikely to go rock-hopping.

Your thoughts? Get an SR5 and change the seats? Spring for a LTD and choke down the payments?
Old 07-13-2003, 05:36 PM
Contributing Member

Welcome M1911,

Would that be the pistol?

Anyways, go with the LTD and get the leather power seats. I love them, although here they aren't heated. These are REALLY comfortable.

I had the Recaro seats in my previous truck and after a one hour drive my back would hurt.

The XREAS is great and there are few threads here already about it and the 03. Do a search on XREAS.

I use mine hauling around a Jet Ski and launching from ramps and on the beach and it does just fine in soft/wet sand.
Old 07-13-2003, 05:50 PM

Would that be the pistol?
Indeed it would be. I've got 1/2 a dozen M1911s of various types kicking around...
Old 07-13-2003, 06:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Go for a Limited, I was actually thinking about getting an SR5 and then turning it into a Limited, but decided not to
Old 07-13-2003, 09:06 PM

Limited?

My vote says go with a Limited. You can custom-order just what you want, if you're willing to wait the requisite three months. The Limited's seats are very adjustable, including the driver's lumbar support, and heated.

I have XREAS. I'm a sports car guy and the '03 4Runner is VERY soft by my standards. I'd not want it any softer! Even with XREAS, it's a truck, and won't generate enough lateral Gs to really need a lot of lateral support in the seats.

I'd guess the instability you felt may have been related to crosswinds. This is a feature of every SUV I've ever driven. Threshold braking in mine is really pretty good - it's stable and stops very quickly. In CU's recent SUV comparo, the 4Runner was the best stopper of the bunch.

This is a nice truck. I think you'll like it. I sure like mine!
Old 07-13-2003, 09:31 PM
Contributing Member

The new 03 4runner is a great vehicle.

For a truck, it's one of the most quiet, comfortable smooth truck in it's class (style/weight/price).

In it's stock form, it's one of the few vehicles that can go anywhere (and I mean anywhere... ofcourse u have to be willing to get a few scratches/damages etc etc.. but it will go anywhere)

the v8 is definitely a must of you're a lead food the torque in this v8 will just make ya happy (and for a truck it hauls!). the 5 speed auto also benefits from this, combo it w/ the v8, you've got a moster... also if u want, u can add the new supercharger and it'll definitely scream!

one suggestion if you're interesting in options is that you can build to order your 4runner this means that you walk into your local toyota stealership and ask for the fleet/internet fleet manager and tell them you want a 04 4runner (yes an 04!) with the following options: I"m sure you should be able to order an 04 now. I'd check w/ the stealership but I'm pretty sure it's ready to be ordered. Usually in June/July, mfg's stop 03 production and start on 04's.

ofcourse ordering a specific 4runner will take longer for it to arrive but atleast it'll what you wanted. stealership won't require you to put a downpayment either it's a free thing they offer... if they don't, go elsewhere... if you run into problems, talk to Dianne at Carson Toyota (Carson, CA). She does custom orders across the nation and won't hesitate to get your custom 4runner the way u want it ... prices are competitive too so no worries there.

if you don't plan to lift your 4runner i'd suggest getting the x-reas system. if you plan to lift then don't get it .... cuz u'll end of removing it w/ the lift suspension anyway. same goes with rear-height air suspension....

if ya got any q's, feel free to ask any of us and we'll gladly help ya out

lance
Old 07-14-2003, 06:55 AM

Yea what everyone else has said... I have a Limited and it's rig'd about the way your are wanting.
I love the X-Reas and the V8, yes, the seats could use more lateral support, but it is a truck.

p.s. You like the older collectable ones or the newer versions. I have about a dozen now and I carry a Garthwaite/Colt daily.
Old 07-14-2003, 09:29 AM
Contributing Member

Agree with what others have said. The Limited seats are very comfy, much better than my 3rd Gens too-soft seats that created painful pressure points.

Dealers are accepting orders for some '04's now, I ordered one last week. If you qualify as a fleet customer, you get to order "J Category" that'll get you a vehicle without the advertising charge (depending on region, up to $800 built into the invoice) or holdback (another 3% of invoice) for starters. It's possible to hold them for 9-12 months and re-sell privately for a small profit, depending on model, color and equipment.

I thought most beaches on the Vineyard were off-limits to vehicles? Maybe Gay Head or Chappaquiddick, but WATCH OUT FOR THE BRIDGE!
Old 07-14-2003, 03:45 PM

You like the older collectable ones or the newer versions. I have about a dozen now and I carry a Garthwaite/Colt daily.
Sorry for the off-topic excursion here...

I'm a big fan of the series I Kimbers. I've got 2 compacts (1 AL, the other all steel) and 1 full size. I've got a Series 80 Delta Elite that I'd like to get built up and a Springfield that I'm probably only going to keep the frame. Given a choice, I prefer series 70 lockwork. The problem with the collectable stuff is 1) I like to shoot them, 2) my tired old eyes don't work that well with the WWII style sights, 3) the classic style grip safety bites the web of my hand, and 4) I find it harder to manipulate the classic style safety. I prefer something with high-vis sights; a slim, extended thumb safety; and a beavertail grip safety. YMMV.
I thought most beaches on the Vineyard were off-limits to vehicles? Maybe Gay Head or Chappaquiddick, but WATCH OUT FOR THE BRIDGE!
I'm mainly thinking about Chappie. While I suspect that the bridge has changed since the Wizard of Uhhhs had his little diving session, I still can't understand how you could drive off that. It is straight. Completely straight. Of course, I'm sure he was more than half in the bag at the time.

Argh. Don't get me started on the Kennedys. As a card-carrying life member of the NRA, you have probably guessed that they are not my cup of tea...

Last edited by M1911; 07-14-2003 at 03:48 PM.
Old 07-14-2003, 04:13 PM

check your PM M1911...
Old 07-14-2003, 05:22 PM

SPORT IS COOL TO

My friend bought a Limited and it is nicer but I just do not like the wheels that come with a limited. They are just not to my liking. I bought a Gray Sport and I am very happy with it. I have had a chance to try out the off road abilities while being in my home state of KY. It is a very impressive Vehicle. But if you want the heated seat go with the limited. I have Leather in my Sport but no heat. V-8 No arguement there. The only way to go. I just like the way the sport looks better from the outside. But that is why they make differant trim levels. You will be happy either way. Good luck!!

P.S. has anyone seen or heard of someone strapping on the supercharger yet?

Last edited by bryontro; 07-15-2003 at 05:07 PM.
Old 08-19-2003, 05:07 PM

I pick it up tomorrow. Pacific Blue V8 Limited 4x4 with XREAS and side airbags. Not cheap (gulp!).

This is my first car since high school with an automatic transmission. My wife, who won't drive a manual, is already giving me grief for coming over to the dark side :pat:
Old 08-19-2003, 05:09 PM
Contributing Member

congratz man

you won't regret it at all!!!
Old 08-19-2003, 07:14 PM

Good move - you won't regret it!

Not cheap (gulp!).

A couple of comments here: First, if you adjust the original price of our '98 4Runner Limited for inflation, you get almost exactly what I paid last November for our '03, which has a huge number of improvements and additional features. Just from this perspective, I feel my '03 was actually a bargain. And I'll bet you got a way better deal now than I did last year. Also, I fearlessly predict it'll seem much less expensive when you go to trade it in or sell it years down the road. 4Runners depreciate VERRRRRY slowly.

You should be aware that it'll take several thousand miles before the harshness works its way out of the ride and the fuel consumption drops off to normal. That's been the case with each of the four new Toyotas we've bought in the past 15 years. Durable cars take longer to break in, I guess.

Enjoy!!!!
Old 08-19-2003, 08:21 PM
Contributing Member

Great choice, congrats! You'll find that you can shift the 5A/T almost like a Tiptronic, and with the sweet X-REAS will be surprised at how nimble a 4,400 lb. truck can be.

I agree with khaug. Toyota engines, especially the iron blocks like your 2UZ, take awhile to break-in. Now that mine is over 4K miles, it's become both more powerful and economical. I'm not sure what he meant about ride harshness. Mine has always been supple and well controlled.

If there's one tip I can give: Take your favorite tire pressure gauge along and set them to 38 psi before leaving the lot. Factory is 32 psi, but consensus here is 38-40 for best overall compromise.
Old 08-19-2003, 09:01 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey Karl,

Man, I haven't seen your name since I bought those 98 factory manuals from you! Hope you are doing well.

Argh. Don't get me started on the Kennedys. As a card-carrying life member of the NRA, you have probably guessed that they are not my cup of tea...
When I was in grad school in MA, I said I was a member of the NRA when we were discussing a product liability case. I must've heard 40 jaws drop. I knew MA was like CA, but man!

Yeah, the Kennedys have got to go.

Oh yeah, M1911, good purchase and welcome to the family.

Bob
Old 08-20-2003, 04:43 AM

M1911, where do you live in Mass? I'm in Leominster. Shoot me an e-mail if you have any questions with the new rig. I've had my SR5 V8 since Jan. and I think I've overcome every issue so far. By the way, what dealership did you purchase the truck at?
Old 08-20-2003, 08:18 AM

Dutch Man: I live near Framingham. I'm buying it from Acton Toyota. I negotiated with Bernardi, but didn't come to agreement with them on price. Bernardi did the typical technique of using the salesguy as the messenger boy running back and forth to the manager a few times until the manager comes to try to close. If there's any sales guys reading the forums, why do you have to play those silly games?

I went to Boch for a test drive and they quickly managed to convince me not to come back

I then shopped via Autoweb and contacted several dealers. Acton gave me the best deal, even though they had to trade for the truck. They also gave me a reasonable value on the trade-in and didn't try to pull any fast-ones or do the "What will it take to get you to buy a car TODAY?" kind of shtick. Altogether relatively painless so far. Hopefully today's delivery will go well.
Old 08-20-2003, 09:58 AM

M1911,

I had the same experience with Acton. The sales guy was looking past us at another customer and didn't want to give us the time of day. My wife and I are in our late 20's, and I think he belived we couldn't afford the truck. Little did he know. So, we never went back! I purchased mine at Wagner Toyota up in Lunenburg. I did take a little haggling, but they took my 97 Oldsmobile Bravada as a trade for $6500 and the truck for $500 over invoice. So far, they have been very good, and so has their Service Dept. I complained about several things, most of which they have resolved.

Another thing about Acton that urked me. I scheduled my truck around 4th of July there because they are 10 minutes from my work. I had some molding on my front window between the front window and the roof rack that was lift away from the roof. I dropped the truck off. Needless to say, they didn't even look at it. I waited another 2 weeks for an appt. , only to find out they needed to order new molding for me. I was there yesterday for the install. However, they did do a nice job. I'll give them that.

Definately shop around. It's worth it. I heard Bernardi Toyota and the other Toyota dealership at the intersection of 495 and Rt. 9
Old 08-20-2003, 02:00 PM

Dutch Man:

Perhaps the difference for me at Acton was that I dealt with an internet sales guy, rather than walking into the sales floor (like I did at Boch and Bernardi).

Delivery was quick and painless. It's going to take a while to get used to driving a truck. It's a big change from my VW GTI.

Quick Reply: 2003 4Runner thoughts