Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Why is my timing jumping all around?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 02:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spark Plug Wires

Originally Posted by thook
I knew what the jumper does, but you said it "advances it". I was just a little confused by your statement...that's all.

So, what does it mean if the plug wires are discolored/darkened in spots? The ones on my '92 are blue (NGK) and have these dark splotches....kinda like they're burned, but there's no melting. I'm wondering if that's damage to the jackets/shielding. Any know of this...seen it before? I've not tested them yet as that actually takes time....which I seem to have so little of these days. Except I seem to have time to be on the computer, don't I? (That just occured to me... )
They are damaged from High Heat , probably arcing/tracing to ground and other plug wires - do your self a favor and get a decent set of wire core plug wires and make sure they are not hitting EGR exhaust tubing , manifolds etc .
And yes if you get carbon core they will be bad in a few years if you mess with motor alot in no time .
Old 10-18-2007, 02:32 PM

Spark Plug Wires

I knew what the jumper does, but you said it "advances it". I was just a little confused by your statement...that's all.

So, what does it mean if the plug wires are discolored/darkened in spots? The ones on my '92 are blue (NGK) and have these dark splotches....kinda like they're burned, but there's no melting. I'm wondering if that's damage to the jackets/shielding. Any know of this...seen it before? I've not tested them yet as that actually takes time....which I seem to have so little of these days. Except I seem to have time to be on the computer, don't I? (That just occured to me... )
If they look like that then how does your cap and rotor look ?
Old 10-18-2007, 06:45 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by tc
You need new wires. Most plug wires out there use a carbon core that cracks/degrades over time. The black/discolored spots are more likely coming from INSIDE the wire from arcing across those cracks in the center conductor - most all of the exterior insulation materials will withstand any heat they are likely to experience under the hood (unless you have an exhaust leak as mentioned above - and then it will be a long section, not spots here and there)

If you use carbon core wires, you have to be prepared to replace them every year or two (which is as long as the cap/rotor will likely last anyways)
They are a mix of both in character, actually. The arcing I will have to look for. I suppose that's from wires making contact with others? And the exhaust leaks....well, I suppose that COULD have been from before I rebuilt the top end (new EM gaskets). I don't remember exactly how long the discoloration has been there, though. Unless you're positive this means they are shot, I believe I will run some testing on them before I scrap them. They didn't come cheaply and I've already been dropping a substantial parcel of change for replacing some other aged parts. Ungh....the money..it leaveth so quickly.

I'm not familiar with that term carbon core. Are you suggesting the NGK's are such?

Originally Posted by n4ynu1010
They are damaged from High Heat , probably arcing/tracing to ground and other plug wires - do your self a favor and get a decent set of wire core plug wires and make sure they are not hitting EGR exhaust tubing , manifolds etc .
And yes if you get carbon core they will be bad in a few years if you mess with motor alot in no time .
Okay....apparently I'm going to have to become educated on this whole carbon core/wire core thing. It's never occured to me. I just went with a recommended brand, and that's all I paid attention to.

I'll inspect the motor for possible causes of damage, but what do you mean "if you mess with the motor alot"? I have been over a couple years....from rebuilding after a fudged prior rebuild, replacing parts that may or may not have been part of problems, and then repairing damage done from a wreck I had in Jan.

The cap and rotor I just replaced a couple months ago. Speaking of which [tc], what do you mean the C&R will only last a year or two? They lasted atleast four or five on my '86....which also has NGK wires.

Finally....does ND or NGK make wire core sets?
Old 10-18-2007, 06:52 PM

They are a mix of both in character, actually. The arcing I will have to look for. I suppose that's from wires making contact with others? And the exhaust leaks....well, I suppose that COULD have been from before I rebuilt the top end (new EM gaskets). I don't remember exactly how long the discoloration has been there, though. Unless you're positive this means they are shot, I believe I will run some testing on them before I scrap them. They didn't come cheaply and I've already been dropping a substantial parcel of change for replacing some other aged parts. Ungh....the money..it leaveth so quickly.

I'm not familiar with that term carbon core. Are you suggesting the NGK's are such?

Okay....apparently I'm going to have to become educated on this whole carbon core/wire core thing. It's never occured to me. I just went with a recommended brand, and that's all I paid attention to.

I'll inspect the motor for possible causes of damage, but what do you mean "if you mess with the motor alot"? I have been over a couple years....from rebuilding after a fudged prior rebuild, replacing parts that may or may not have been part of problems, and then repairing damage done from a wreck I had in Jan.

The cap and rotor I just replaced a couple months ago. Speaking of which [tc], what do you mean the C&R will only last a year or two? They lasted atleast four or five on my '86....which also has NGK wires.

Finally....does ND or NGK make wire core sets?
Carbon Core even if wound will break down quickly if you handle them alot or flex/move alot .

And yes I believe they do but I purchased a aftermarket set
Old 10-18-2007, 07:10 PM

Okay...thanks.

Apparently, after doing a google, I found the answer to one question, anyway. The NGK's I bought are wire core/low resistance....the high tech shiite. So, that eliminates that part of the equation. Still, they were manipulated A LOT during the last two years.

(Good Lord...I think I've officially highjacked this thread. Sorry...the fingers do twitch.)

Last edited by thook; 10-18-2007 at 07:14 PM.
Old 10-18-2007, 07:21 PM

Okay...thanks.

Apparently, after doing a google, I found the answer to one question, anyway. The NGK's I bought are wire core/low resistance....the high tech shiite. So, that eliminates that part of the equation. Still, they were manipulated A LOT during the last two years.

(Good Lord...I think I've officially highjacked this thread. Sorry...the fingers do twitch.)
Couple years is no problem for wire core man unless your not using boots to remove the wires otherwise they survive well
Old 10-18-2007, 07:25 PM

That's nice to know. Means the one on my '86 are probably just fine then. The ones on the '92...discolored...different story, from what you are saying. I'm going to pull out the trusty "OM" () meter and check'em soon.

Oh....yeah, I alway use the boots. I'm real gingerly like with'em.

Last edited by thook; 10-18-2007 at 07:27 PM.
Old 10-18-2007, 09:19 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cap/rotor/plugs/wires are pretty cheap. Will they last longer than 2 years? Maybe - but after 2 yrs you will DEFINITELY notice the improvement from replacing them.

I don't want to sound mean, but if those things once a year are stretching your budget, you might want to look into a different hobby....
Old 10-18-2007, 11:00 PM

Urrrp...'scuse me.

Last edited by thook; 10-19-2007 at 09:37 PM.
Old 10-19-2007, 07:47 AM

Hobby ?

Originally Posted by tc
Cap/rotor/plugs/wires are pretty cheap. Will they last longer than 2 years? Maybe - but after 2 yrs you will DEFINITELY notice the improvement from replacing them.

I don't want to sound mean, but if those things once a year are stretching your budget, you might want to look into a different hobby....
Since when is keeping a vehicle running and saving hundreds of dollars by doing it yourself a "Hobby" , thats just a clear and simple insensitive comment .
Some of us are out here helping others while letting them help us in the areas we are not well versed , the forum represents a Collective Intelligence and all of us are not out here to put thousands in our trucks in regards to Mod.s (although if I had the money I would hehe)
And like some others out here my friend ...........it is not a hobby but survival , it is getting it fixed because we don't have 3 cars to choose from , it is hoping that we can fix our car/trk and have money left to eat and pay our mortgage.

Some of us have to work a Miracle every day to make ends meet.
Some of us help others even when it hurts us because someone did the same for us .
Some of us help every soul we can regardless of our resources because it is the right thing to do.
And last but not least some of us carry on daily living on very little (week to week / day to day) and never complain or whine and moan because we do what we have to , to survive.
I myself and dis-abled from Brain Injuries , I make $1000 a month on disability because I cannot work , my wife has cardiac disease and works a part time job to help all she can , $1900 total income and I/We support a 16 yr old and a $850 mortgage payment .................................................. .....HOBBY !!!
I can't afford any damn hobbies , I can only afford to survive my friend and that is by the Hand of God himself I pull that off .
Old 10-19-2007, 10:51 AM

Whew....that's better.

Last edited by thook; 10-19-2007 at 09:37 PM.
Old 10-19-2007, 11:49 AM

Relax, man. I really don't believe he was trying to be derogatory and I wasn't being heavy in my reply. I understand what he's saying because it's true under appropriate circumstances. Some people do whine about it and they really should look into something else...maybe even slapped into reality. 4wheeling is a recreational hobby and that is what most members are here for, but he made an assumption based on a linear association....what I wrote. The problem with that is it doesn't really show courtesy and relating to another tends to break down and conflict begins. It's all automatic and people do it all the time to one another....including me, so I didn't take it personally. I try to be aware of it and I only ask that he does also. I believe he is a good fellow and have plenty of respect for him. But, it's hard see eye to eye and have a positive communication when anyone projects onto another. And I do hate to see that.
Me too