Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Where is the "starter / ignition relay"? Could use some gifted help here!

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 01:53 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Here is a quick voltage test you can do to isolate the cause of the problem:
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...shtml#EasyTest

And a fix you might try in lieu of replacing the relay (link posted earlier):
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...l#OtherOptions

On some trucks, the starter relay (if present) is on the passenger side fender or firewall. The Factory Service Manual will typically show component locations. Not real familiar with the A/T equipped vehicles, but according to the above page, the neutral start switch serves as the "starter relay":

And the presence or absence of a starter relay does vary by year. My '85 w/ 5-speed has none.

Last edited by 4Crawler; 07-05-2008 at 01:55 PM.
Old 07-06-2008, 05:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Deathcougar...you rock brutha!!!

Abe...thanx for making me laugh my ass off!

4runnerfreak...Dude. Im with ya,I hear ya,and totally understand and agree with you and your manual. Scroll back through this thread and observe my pics from Block #2 passenger side/underhood. That relay spot you are refering too. Their is a relay their,but it says nothing of the "starter" relay and it's code nowhere near match the code(#23800-16010) that the stealership,parts counter gave me. If you could post pics so I can compare,that would truley rock!!!
I know the ignition fuse and it's location. That is definetly not the problem.

4crawler...Thanx for the link and diagram. Someone else also suggested this,but my theory on the testing is. If I gotta remove that starter...to F*$k with any testing. Im either gonna rebuild it or replace it. Thanx again though. I did save the links and pics.

RobD...I have tried(when this non starting thing happens) putting it into nuetral. As a matter of fact,everytime this situation arises,I atleast try nuetral (and wiggle the shifter around a lil) and it never makes a difference.

I know the starter (w/my milage) will need new contacts very soon. I plan on changing the starter out,possibly by end of summer/early fall.
I think I'm gonna wire up a starter button or possibly just change the entire igintion switch. (a lot of you also suggested that the contacts in the starter switch could be just worn down,which Im quite in agreement with due to high milage).
http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductL...pe=521&PTSet=A
Not too awfully bad on price.

Thank you everyone for all your input and as soon as I get some progress with the troubleshooting of the original problem,I will be sure to keep you all informed. As far as locating a possible relay. Stay tuned. Im calling stealership first thing in the am to inform them of me owning an automatic,and I wanna see what he says then. Hope everyone had a safe and rockin 4th of July weekend.

Last edited by dutchboy; 07-06-2008 at 05:57 PM.
Old 07-06-2008, 06:06 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I bet all of you will get your answers once the new X-Files movie comes out. You will believe.
and yes... I'm only here for comedic relief.

My '88 starter relay is on the passenger side firewall (sorry, no pics even if you wanted them- I had to hunt it down once, not because of a problem but because I was bored and this thread inspired me 4 weeks before it was posted) and I do not want to be the next person to stab anyone else in the back with a spork.

may I suggest though that wires have color codes... so if you follow one wire from end to end, you'll know where it goes.
Old 07-06-2008, 06:07 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by dutchboy
4crawler...Thanx for the link and diagram. Someone else also suggested this,but my theory on the testing is. If I gotta remove that starter...to F*$k with any testing. Im either gonna rebuild it or replace it. Thanx again though. I did save the links and pics.
No need to remove the starter for the simple voltage test. Sure, I show the starter out, but the test can (and should) be done with the starter in place. After all you want to test it and all the vehicle's wiring as it sits in the vehicle. Since, if the problem is in the vehicle's wiring/relay/ignition switch or whatever, you need to have all that stuff present to test it. Any you need to test these sorts of problems under load, since you are looking for excessive voltage drops under high currents. That is why I suggest making up a simple "Y" test wire to let you plug the starter in and yet tap into the wire to measure the voltage.
Old 07-06-2008, 06:14 PM

Abe...I knew eventually someone would tell me to chase wires and I was hoping never having to do this...demeaning,ungrateful,cursing,banging,bs task.
Yes,I agre,that chasing colored coded wires will lead me to (if any) relays,fuses,swithces,grounds,etc.
man...have you ever looked under the dash of a Yota? Dude.that's like "un-wiring" ma bell!!!
Having to strip of that hard to work with,plastic covering on wiring runs...laying twisted,with a shifter jammed in my...A*S,having to disassemble everything in the path of a wire junction,just to get a better look at it. *sigh*...man I dread the thought of even doing this. I know,I know...it could lead me to some answers,but I think Im gonna hold off on the wire chasing till this problem becomes fulltime. right now,my track record since cleaning the battery cable ends and contact spots, has been only 3 no starts in 4 weeks. Tha's not fulltime for me just yet.
But thank you for making me hate the wiring of a fine Yota. you'd think radio Shack was contracted to wire these things and I strongly think that Yota makers should pack a factory line worker in the glove box. He/she wired the blasted thing...let him/her figure it out!
:>)
Old 07-06-2008, 06:17 PM

Good point 4Cralwer. Think Im gonna try that test procedure someday this week. Now that I feel better on not having to take it out (yet) and you're right about leaving it in. Under working conditions with everything related functioning(if).
Old 07-06-2008, 06:18 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by dutchboy
Abe...I knew eventually someone would tell me to chase wires and I was hoping never having to do this...demeaning,ungrateful,cursing,banging,bs task.
Yes,I agre,that chasing colored coded wires will lead me to (if any) relays,fuses,swithces,grounds,etc.
man...have you ever looked under the dash of a Yota? Dude.that's like "un-wiring" ma bell!!!
Having to strip of that hard to work with,plastic covering on wiring runs...laying twisted,with a shifter jammed in my...A*S,having to disassemble everything in the path of a wire junction,just to get a better look at it. *sigh*...man I dread the thought of even doing this. I know,I know...it could lead me to some answers,but I think Im gonna hold off on the wire chasing till this problem becomes fulltime. right now,my track record since cleaning the battery cable ends and contact spots, has been only 3 no starts in 4 weeks. Tha's not fulltime for me just yet.
But thank you for making me hate the wiring of a fine Yota. you'd think radio Shack was contracted to wire these things and I strongly think that Yota makers should pack a factory line worker in the glove box. He/she wired the blasted thing...let him/her figure it out!
I sympathise with you... and have had to terminate 2500 pair cables to 110 punch blocks, so yes I am qualified to sympathise.
and if it were radio shack that wired them, you'd have 3 colors red, black, white and green and they'd all be wired in exactly the same consistant way: either wire-wrap, spring or breadboard connections.

Last edited by abecedarian; 07-06-2008 at 06:21 PM.
Old 07-07-2008, 08:06 AM

Ok. Just got off the phone w/dude @ stealership parts counter. When I informed him that I was working on an automatic,first smart a#s'd words out of his mouth were"sir...I'm not a mechanic".
Well no buddy,that's why your a*s is behind the parts counter! Duh...*sigh*
Anyway,after forcefully trying to give this now part time "clown" my vin number,he looks that up and tells me. That their is now showing of any starter relay.
So....those of you who were saying this all along,are correct. the nuetral safety switch acts as the starter relay on the automatics.
i think my 1st plan of action is the ignition swith soon as I get the extra scratch.
Good day to you all!
Old 07-07-2008, 08:11 AM
Contributing Member

If you read the page I posted earlier, you would have seen that plus a zero cost method of repair, if indeed that is your problem. Note how the wiring diagram (from the above web page) clearly shows the "A/T' and "M/T" wiring:

Or you can add your own starter relay, that is what I did on my '85 and that too is written up the the web page, link re-posted below:

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...l#OtherOptions
Old 07-07-2008, 02:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
check under the dash on the driversside kick panel .green relay at least on the 91 4 runner
Old 07-07-2008, 09:14 PM

4crawler...you rock brutha...and Im a complete tool for not noticing that "m/t"...duh (I feel like such a Homer).
A gold star for you bro!

highridnyota...have you not been following this thread? Read my last updated post... 2up :>)