Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Weasy2k cams installed!

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 09:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The 22re cam setup is a SOHC so its actually much cheaper! The 3vz-e cams are 2 and that is why they are in the 380+range. The 3vz-e cams are also pricey because toyota uses a strand cap on one side of the cam which the cam grinder has to spend added time to swap out the end tool on his machine (added cost)

I will find out the cost of a cam for you which i would not be surprised to see in the 150-175 range.
What are you looking for in the cam...higher end? mid range? With that kind of info i can see what best would suit your needs.
Old 06-03-2007, 09:24 AM

well. i usually run my truck throughout the whole spectrum though. maybe a mid-high range...

edit, ps, thanks. lol.
Old 06-07-2007, 01:04 AM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Well kinda an update on the truck.

The effin dealership has NOT called me back.. looks like we know how good the toyota customer service is when they are not getting paid..
Im not impressed at all.

Truck is running great!
I was at a friends house today, we went in his backyard to their spare feild ( 100ft by 300ft behind the greenhouses), he said they didnt care what happens to it, so I decided to help them mow the lawn
It was pretty damn chewed up when we where done!
I got pictures and video but his computer has no internet and his card will not upload onto my computer.
(same friend with original exhaust videos)
I also did a few brakestands on the hard dirt, I was surprized that the tire was smoking as much as it did... my breaks felt very wierd for a second after said breakstand..

So you guys will have to hang tight a few more days then I will have a bunch of exhaust clips up.

I have notices my idle varies from 500rpm to 1,000rpm now..
Very odd.
But the truck is running pretty damn well, I have not been able to drive it much but so far I have noticed some extra power in there, It seems to jump to 6k rpm today in the mud (ok.. that one scared me) and even on the pavement she has some more "Get up and go"

Last edited by Jay351; 06-07-2007 at 01:07 AM.
Old 06-07-2007, 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by Jay351
Well kinda an update on the truck.

I have notices my idle varies from 500rpm to 1,000rpm now..
Very odd.
But the truck is running pretty damn well, I have not been able to drive it much but so far I have noticed some extra power in there, It seems to jump to 6k rpm today in the mud (ok.. that one scared me) and even on the pavement she has some more "Get up and go"
The idle is probably fluctuating because it is trying to get the fuel and timing curves back in line to make the new cams run good. you might want to go easy on you right foot so the computer doesn't program itself for all full throttle operation, which will kill the gas milage. correct me if i am wrong.
Old 06-07-2007, 12:04 PM
Contributing Member

Truck did that before the cams so im woundering if its just one of thoes things with the 3.0...

Still no word from toyota..
im going to stop by there after work on saterday
Old 06-07-2007, 05:14 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
During closed loop (?) operation the ECU relies on the O2 sensor to keep track of lean/rich ratio to try get to stoich. These conditions are highway cruising, slow accellerations, etc. Only when you punch it (80% throttle or more) will the ECU rely on a set of tables for maximal power. Now weather or not the ECU can actually change any of the fueling/timing values in the tables during WOT operation I dont know. But I dont think "going easy on it" is going to change much for most of the driving around town where your throttle rarely eclipses 80%

One NICE thing about these cams, I now have enough power to get moving WITHOUT a downshift or high revs!
Old 06-07-2007, 05:36 PM

the varying idle could very well be your o2 sensor flaking out. ^ is correct in which the ecu reads X amount of airflow and X intake air temp = fuel output.
Old 06-07-2007, 05:42 PM
Contributing Member

Aha!!! My 02 senser is Original equipment
I just can't bring myself around to shelling out a few hundy for a new one

and buying online in the us hits me with border fees usually 2/3 of what the product cost in the first place!!!!!

anyonez gots some sweet hookupzz?
I wonder if lordco sells decent replacment sensors?

Last edited by Jay351; 06-07-2007 at 05:44 PM.
Old 06-09-2007, 02:39 PM
Contributing Member

Alright got an update for you guys.

After work this morning I had stopped off at johnnys (had to re-tighten my belt) talked to him for awhile, told him about the dealership and whats going on there.

So I leave his place, I go to West Coast Toyota.
I am standing there for 15 mins and nobody helps me, finally a guy comes out and I talk to him he prints off a sheet of work done on my truck (hg recall)
He goes and gets the manager.

So here is how this goes down.

Casey comes out with Rob (mech - intruduced to me as a master mechanic ) they are both shaking their heads at me..
Right off the bat they say that they would never put a cracked camshaft back in.
I told them yes you did it wouldnt just crack out of knowhere.. in two places at that.
Rob says "I have been doing this for 20 years *chuckle* how long have you been working on cars? *with a smug look on his face*

I say it was not me working on the car it was my mechanic.
They say "well its been 4years, it wouldve acted up right away"
I say well you guys are not going to stand behind your work?
They repeat.. its been 4years
*by now I am steaming mad and I am starting to yell*
I said .. well what do you guys want me to do?
Rob shrugs.. Casey standing there like an idiot
Rob tells me that there is no way it would crack, he said if it was done incorrectly that it would bend.
So after a few more seconds of this I finally had enough, I took the printed sheet of my truck and left.
I can tell you guys that thoes douche bags sure did their best to make me look like a total moron..

I swear I would rather drive an hour then give that ☺☺☺☺ing place my buisness ever again. A few guys at the parts department are really good guys but everyone higher up are complete and udder morons.

And that Casey guy, I have been told from old emplyees that he is a complete dick head and should not even be washing cars.

Well sorry for babbling on.. im running on 2 hours sleep have been up since 1am and almost got in an accident on my way home!
Not having a good day.

Did I mention my rad is leaking?

If anyone cares here is a list of work that was done for the hg replacment.

Date 05/06/03

Gasket Kit
Block, Short
Seal, Oil x2
Ring, O
Gasket
Wiring
Ring, O
Coolent, longlife
Gasket, FIP
Stud
Nut
Stud
Stud
Nut
Ring, O
Lof Special
Filter, Oil
gasket
Oil

Also parts My father paid to have replaced

Drivers side exhaust manifold cracked 279 bucks!!!
Cooler hose
Water pump * what do you think Johnny?*

Also resurf heads/Repair 2 EXH

Work was done at 138,292kms ( 212200kms current )

Last edited by Jay351; 06-09-2007 at 02:52 PM.
Old 06-09-2007, 03:02 PM
Contributing Member

Anyone got an email address where I can write a formal complaint?
If this is the way the manager treats customers then that is bull☺☺☺☺.
If they decide not to compensate for a part they broke then that's their perogitive.
But to treat me like they did in front of the whole damn department is a shame and a very poor way to represent their company.
Old 06-09-2007, 03:58 PM

Wow man that sucks to hear...

what really sucks to hear is that THIS MECHANIC mentioned he has been working on cars for 20years...yet does not know that he can CRACK those cams but not completely split them....wow these are the people working on our vehicles!

They are full of sweet loads of ☺☺☺☺....ugh!

Look up the Pacific Headquarters for Toyota just off of west minister highway in Richmond.

As for the water pump...if it was changed at 138 it should not have been leaking when i removed it with only 80k km on there...but who knows i havent been working on vehicles for 20 years

Last edited by Weasy2k; 06-09-2007 at 03:59 PM.
Old 06-09-2007, 04:24 PM
Contributing Member

I will look up the hq and I will shoot them an email.
I wonder if this is how they want their company being promoted by these dick heads..

I would have never guessed this would happen but hey.. I havnt been working on cars for 20 years either

Last edited by Jay351; 06-09-2007 at 04:26 PM.
Old 06-11-2007, 06:40 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
THeres a guy posted on Pirate from AZ that turbo'd a stock 3vz and is claiming around 14lbs boost with no problems, Its an old artical, I even think Ive seen Corey posting there a few times.
Old 06-11-2007, 07:26 PM

wowsa...to be honest that doesnt shock me too much. The vz blocks were built VERY tough.
Old 06-11-2007, 10:31 PM

i never heard anyone pushing more than 6 psi, cuz if you run more than 6 psi you would need reconfigure the whole ecu and fuel system. i would think that if you run the 3vz motor more than 10psi that either the connecting rods or pistons would break.
Old 06-12-2007, 05:25 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Not so. The guy spoken of over on Pirate use a Grand National's turbo and at first was running about 12psi. He later turned it up to 16 and had no issues other than his clutch slipping.

ECU wont need reconfiguring or anything honestly. All ya gotta do is retard the timing, which the aforementioned guy did with an MSD kit designed for boost, and add fuel. As far as adding fuel, it isnt that big of a deal with a 7th injector kit, rising rate FPR, and a piggyback to control it and fool the ECU.

psi running to the engine doesnt really mean a whole lot. The power the engine produces as a result does. Now I dont know about that grand national turbo at 16 psi, but he SHOULD be somewhere in the realm of 240-300hp pending how well the system was built and designed. But even at 300hp, each rod and piston merely has to make 50hp.

Last edited by Bumpin' Yota; 06-12-2007 at 05:27 AM.
Old 06-12-2007, 07:51 AM

so should i even get my pistons forged? and would it even need it?
Old 06-12-2007, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by shoes138
so should i even get my pistons forged? and would it even need it?
well why not? might as well eh? sure would sound cooler. "had my pistons forged to better handle the increased boost" YEEHAW
Old 06-12-2007, 12:24 PM

For reliability yes. WE don't know how long the internals hold up.
Old 06-12-2007, 09:49 PM

how would i go about managing this fuel system cuz i was thinkin megasquirt. Or could i just get something to piggy back the normal ECU. ay weazy did you get the piston in yet?

Quick Reply: Weasy2k cams installed!