86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Warn vs Aisin?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 04:48 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Warn vs Aisin?

I was looking over the rig tonight in prep for my run to the mountains tomorrow and my eyes settled on the hubs, it got me to thinking about the weak points on a 4x4. Most times the front hubs are a weak point and the reason that lots of folks upgrade to something stronger like a set of Warn Premiums. I've actually done this on one Ford 3/4 ton and two International Scout II's.

So how does the Aisin stand up against a Warn? Heck in the world of offroad the name Warn is very well known. I'd never even heard of an Aisin until I bought this truck about a year ago. Is it worth the money to swap in a set of Warns?
Old 11-07-2008, 04:57 PM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
Actually in the yota world people stick with the aisins...
Much better from what I have Heard
No personal experience with warns but the Aisins are sought after, Not to mention the make great everything...
Im sure people with experience will chime in soon

Old 11-07-2008, 05:07 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've always heard Aisins are better than Warn.
Old 11-07-2008, 05:14 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
and considering people with the aisins (IFS or SA) are tending to break other stuff....

... and not the hubs ....

just a thought.
Old 11-07-2008, 05:45 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Originally Posted by Junkers88
Is it worth the money to swap in a set of Warns?
That would be a waste of money.

When it comes to the Warn Product line for Toyotas their hubs is the one product that is not an improvement over stock.
Old 11-07-2008, 06:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have them on my ifs, ah, idk they are much better than the add system i had.

One thing that ive noticed compared to a sfa asian hub is the internal workings are completely different. Asians are much simplier imo and seem like they would be much tougher.

On my warns' the bolts back off over time too.
Old 11-07-2008, 06:12 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Yeah, I'll replace my Asian's with some more Asian's once they wear to the point of not working or not being able to rebuild, which I don't see happening for a LOOONG time. Their reletively easy and inexpinsive to get ahold of replacements, and their easy to service and rebuild too.

But on a side note, on the trail, I'd much rather have a hub give out then say a cv or a birfield, or worst a ring and pinion; it's takes you all of 15 minutes at the most to slap on a new hub, and then you just truck on.

I would say the weakest points you'd want in your drive-train are U-joints, followed by the hubs; both can be repaired on the trail pretty easily; if anything else breaks, well you're either limping home, or riding home on a flatbed

Last edited by iamsuperbleeder; 11-07-2008 at 06:17 PM.
Old 11-07-2008, 06:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
AISIN AISIN ONLY !!!!!
EVEN FOR PARTS they are good parts for your yota
AISIN = OEM = toyota factory parts = good stuff from the factory!
Old 11-07-2008, 07:02 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 904_runner
One thing that ive noticed compared to a sfa asian hub is the internal workings are completely different. Asians are much simplier imo and seem like they would be much tougher.
I disagree - Warns are much simpler IMHO.

FACT: the Warn sticks out further than the AISIN and is more prone to rock damage.

FACT: Warns have a lifetime guarantee, AISIN doesn't

I DO agree the AISIN hubs are stronger... I don't necessarily agree this is a good thing. I can tell you I have flat sheared off CV axles with the dual cases and the Warns have withstood it. The only ones I've had to replace have been due to external rock damage.
Old 11-07-2008, 07:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, i haven't completely taken apart my warns but i have completely taken apart the Asians i have and they were pretty simple.

as far as the warns warranty, i don't know, cause i bought them used. As far as them sticking out i completely agree
Old 11-07-2008, 07:38 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by tc

FACT: the Warn sticks out further than the AISIN and is more prone to rock damage.

I DO agree the AISIN hubs are stronger... I don't necessarily agree this is a good thing. I can tell you I have flat sheared off CV axles with the dual cases and the Warns have withstood it. The only ones I've had to replace have been due to external rock damage.
FACT: Buy WARN for a winch

FACT: Use AISIN for manual hubs

FACT: tc has to play devil's advocate on everything

Old 11-07-2008, 07:46 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by tc

I'm confused.... you have sheared off CV axles with your dual cases...
... how exactly does that suggest which hub is better than the other?
... and which hub had to replaced when damaged due to external rocks?

Your wording is vague and circumlocutious, but still can be construed to imply that the Warn hubs will require replacement more often than the Aisin hubs, no?

Last edited by abecedarian; 11-07-2008 at 07:47 PM.
Old 11-08-2008, 07:48 AM
tc
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by abecedarian
I'm confused.... you have sheared off CV axles with your dual cases...
... how exactly does that suggest which hub is better than the other?
... and which hub had to replaced when damaged due to external rocks?

Your wording is vague and circumlocutious, but still can be construed to imply that the Warn hubs will require replacement more often than the Aisin hubs, no?
I thought it was pretty clear...

It doesn't suggest one is better than the other - it suggests that either is plenty strong. In compound low, we're talking 36,000 lb-ft of torque to the wheels!

I run Warn hubs and have replaced 2 under warranty due to rock rash. Not because they didn't work - pretty much because they were scratched up and I could. As a matter of fact, I will probably replace them this winter again.

In SOME cases, yes, Warns MAY require replacement more often than AISIN.

But, since you can change a hub without even removing the wheel/tire, and if you converted from ADD you have spares (namely the flange plate), if there's a part of the truck I WANT as a weak link to protect other parts, it's the manual hubs!

Last edited by tc; 11-08-2008 at 07:49 AM.
Old 11-08-2008, 07:56 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by tc
and if you converted from ADD you have spares (namely the flange plate)
hey that's a good idea, I might get me a set of flanges to throw in the toolbox!

has anyone ever thrashed an ADD flange?
Old 11-08-2008, 08:00 AM
tc
Contributing Member

Not that I'm aware of. Longfield or someone did a strength comparison of the different hubs one time, and drive flanges were off the chart pretty much.
Old 11-08-2008, 08:02 AM
tc
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
FACT: tc has to play devil's advocate on everything
Not everything, but yes, I can guarantee you that I will counter web-wheeling hearsay with my actual experience whenever possible.
Old 11-08-2008, 08:04 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by tc
Not that I'm aware of. Longfield or someone did a strength comparison of the different hubs one time, and drive flanges were off the chart pretty much.
ok, lol, that's what I would think would happen...
Old 11-08-2008, 08:17 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Aisins.

I dislike the warns having had some experience with TC's, and a set on our IH scout. The Aisins are sweet and simple, and are smooth with the correct O-rings. The Warns on TC's and the scout are anything but. Both sets generally require a set of pliers to engage. The IH has no rock rash on its hubs at all.

Also, from a convenience standpoint, Aisins turn a 1/4 turn to lock, and Warns take about 300 degrees.

Strength wise, I have no idea. I have a theory on CV axles, but thats a whole different thread.

As a final thought: If you have ADD, either choice is a good one: If you have Aisin Hubs already: keep em.
Old 11-08-2008, 08:24 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by AxleIke
...Aisins turn a 1/4 turn to lock...

I'd like to think that's a little closer to 1/3
Old 11-08-2008, 08:27 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
As noted, the Aisin hubs stick out less so less prone to damage. But the key feature is the cone washer design on the Aisins. Cone washers hold very well and the more load on the hub the tighter they grab. The Warns use flat lock washers and nuts to hold them on and those have a tendency to loosen up with hard use. A guy in my club had the Warns on his '89 and got in the habit of carrying a wrench in his pocket and every time we stopped on the trail, he would hop out and check all the hub nuts, usually would find one or two a little loose. He lost hubs 2 or 3 times on the trail prior to that. Cone washers are a pain to deal with when removing the hubs, but it is that very stubborn nature that makes them work so well.

Now I do have Warn hubs on my front axle, but it has Dana 60 outers and those D60 Warns are bullet proof. The locking hub is internal to the wheel hub. Only weak point in them is the lock/unlock dial is only held on with 6 tiny bolts and that is easy to knock off.

Quick Reply: Warn vs Aisin?