86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

timing, steering clunk and tcase slop?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 07:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
timing, steering clunk and tcase slop?

migrated over from the jeep world, now proud new owner of a 91 toyota pickup 4x4 5spd with 22re. couple issues with it though its at 83k and is making a tapping noise. assuming its timing chain? i ordered one anyway with steel guide (been doing some research). checked out the ujoints on rear shaft just out of curiousity and the yoke from the transfercase actually moves up and down whats up with that? also steering wheel was clunking when going over bumps. it goes through firewall seems like somethings missing just a shaft through a hole. im confused with what to do with this? it does have a 3" body lift on it. thanks.
Old 03-07-2014, 08:50 PM

Tapping noise or a rattle ?

Tapping could be because someone has over tightened the tapped cover nuts, usually to stop an oil weep. Undoing the nuts 0.5 - 1 turn each and see if the sound changes or stops.

You can confirm if it's the timing chain by removing the tappet cover and shining a light down to inspect the guides, chain and timing cover, a screw driver will help you gauge how sloppy the chain is, if the slop is bad and the guides broken you'll see groves in the timing cover itself on the drivers side (passenger side in AUS), if these groves are deep enough (I think around 3-5mm) you maybe at the boarder line of having water mixing into your oil and visa-versa, basically a new timing chain cover or an attempt with a quality metal epoxy putty, I've had success with the putty but it must be done correctly, if you're not confident just replace the cover. If the guides are broken remove and clean the sump and oil pick up, plus make sure you clean any muck from the oil channel feeding the new tensioner. Steel guides are the go.

I can't offer much on the yoke issue.

The steering sounds like a worn bush issue to me.

I hope that helps
Old 03-08-2014, 06:05 AM

thanks for the good info. it appears as though the valve cover gasket was/is leaking so ill try to loosen it up. is it only the 4 nuts on top that hold it on?

the steering thing i agree has to be worn out, but it just seems odd how the shaft just goes through the firewall looks like there should be a cover there or some sort of bearing plate it would ride in? thanks for the help this far. im going to check my valve cover now. also is the valve cover gasket reusable or a one time deal? should i buy one before i take it off? i know some people say to just pop it off but they make it sound like its reusable.
Old 03-08-2014, 03:40 PM

These gasket kits are pretty readily available, I'd reuse it with a good aviation sealant or similar for now. Have feel of it gasket when you have it off, if it and the half moons have gone hard then source a kit and replace it. If you decide the timing chain needs doing you should get these items I the timing chain kit

I would have though at least a dust cover at the steering shaft, but I have little experience with lift kits.