Sponsored by: DashLynx

Swaping Manual hubs for auto lockers

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 05:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Swapping Manual hubs for auto lockers

can u do it its it hard
swapping Manual hubs out for auto locking hubs

Last edited by Perdurable; 12-17-2007 at 05:12 PM. Reason: missed a p in swapping =(
Old 12-17-2007, 05:23 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
This page would tell you how, reverse the process:
- http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/tech/autohub/

Not sure why you would want to do that, but it is possible.
Old 12-17-2007, 07:17 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Auto hubs are junk, stick with your manual ones...much more dependable.

Old 12-17-2007, 07:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Stay manual
Old 12-17-2007, 07:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you really are driving in "changeable" conditions - lock the manual hubs and shift in and out of 4WD on the fly....
Old 12-17-2007, 07:32 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
why waste the energy and $$$ switching. its the same thing as driving with em locked 24/7. the only advantage i'd see is if you wanted to leave em locked in 24/7, and had a bunch of people around that screwed with em all the time.

oh, and when you say auto i'm assuming you're meaning add?
Old 12-17-2007, 08:27 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
^ almost, except on the ADD trucks, the differential doesn't spin. the ADD has a sleeve that disengages one axle from the differential, thus preventing it from spinning/saving you gas mileage.

with the hubs locked on a manual locking truck, the differential will spin. unlocked, the cv's won't even spin (like they do on an ADD truck)

with manual locking hubs, you'll get slightly worse gas mileage with them locked compared to an ADD truck, but i'm stickin' with my manual hubs anyway. stronger, more reliable, and i don't mind locking them in.
Old 12-17-2007, 08:41 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Perdurable
can u do it its it hard
swapping Manual hubs out for auto locking hubs
What year are you talking?

If you were really set on autohubs, you could just swap on the lock plates from an ADD setup. Very stong, but your drivetrain would turn ALL the time since your truck is not set up with ADD. The only advantage would be not having to lock the hubs ever.
Old 12-17-2007, 08:47 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by shaeff
^ almost, except on the ADD trucks, the differential doesn't spin. the ADD has a sleeve that disengages one axle from the differential, thus preventing it from spinning/saving you gas mileage.

with the hubs locked on a manual locking truck, the differential will spin. unlocked, the cv's won't even spin (like they do on an ADD truck)

with manual locking hubs, you'll get slightly worse gas mileage with them locked compared to an ADD truck, but i'm stickin' with my manual hubs anyway. stronger, more reliable, and i don't mind locking them in.
It only keeps one axle from spinning the diff. What prevents the other axle from spinning it? And as far as I know, the gas mileage savings is a myth. I have noticed zero savings running the front hubs unlocked. The biggest benefit is not having wear and tear on your CVs because they're not turning.
Old 12-17-2007, 11:27 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I think he means he wants to put manual hubs IN PLACE OF autohubs.
Old 12-17-2007, 11:51 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
I bought my '86 4Runner with 1400 miles on it in january of '86. At 11K miles at the end of '86 the auto hubs died. Replaced them with manual hubs. Sold the truck 5 years later at 160K miles...Auto hubs of POS.

As mentioned previously, if you need to get in and out of 4x4 a lot, just leave you manual hubs locked so you can shift on the fly when you need to and unluck at the end of the trip or when the crappy weather is over...
Old 12-18-2007, 02:55 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, at least the manual hubs should be pretty easy to sell once the conversion is complete. I can't say that I ever saw someone go this route though...
Old 12-18-2007, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by RobD
It only keeps one axle from spinning the diff. What prevents the other axle from spinning it? And as far as I know, the gas mileage savings is a myth. I have noticed zero savings running the front hubs unlocked. The biggest benefit is not having wear and tear on your CVs because they're not turning.
unless he has a front locker, the diff. will NOT spin. on a normal open differential and ADD, when the sleeve lets go, the front differential will not spin. that's the whole point of it. otherwise it would be identical to manual locking hubs with the hubs locked all the time.

and i see a significant difference in gas mileage when my front hubs are locked, and when they're not. (not in 4wd)

to check the ADD thing, put an ADD truck on a lift, or even just jack up the front, with the transfer case in 2wd, spin one tire, then spin the other. you WILL NOT feel the differential spin. now put it in 4wd, and the tranny in neutral, and spin it. don't take my word for it, check it for yourself.
Old 12-18-2007, 03:41 PM

My yota is a 92 i thought it was better not strength but just because i thought it was really bad to let the entire front end spinning when it dosent need to it makes more since just to leave um locked i drive this lil hog like i stole her shes amazing ive plowed roads without a plow in 1.5.5 feet of snow it was amazing we ened up getting stuck twice once in snow we thought wasent deep but it was it dipped down into 4.5 feet of snow went right up half way up the doors i was like... lol we had my friend come yank us out but i commute to work each morning and fool around in the afternoon in the snow i wanna put a 170 horse turbo from DOA and some phat tires with a roll bar and brush guard =)
Old 12-18-2007, 03:45 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
^ two things.

1 - use a period.
2 - Don't go DOA, search him on here, you will have hours of reading.
Old 12-18-2007, 03:55 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The ADD setup spins the spider gears in the carrier. I could spin the diff but there is more drag spinning that and the whole drive shaft than there is just spinning the spider gears and the now disconnected part of the other shaft the opposite direction.

I had auto hubs and hated them. Getting them to unlock can be worse than getting out and unlocking the manual hubs.

In bad weather, fuel economy is the least of your worries so I would add to the chorus of those who say to keep the manual hubs locked for on-the-fly 4wd and unlock them when the weather clears up.

Frank
Old 12-18-2007, 04:33 PM

^ then from what you say, i was partially correct...
Old 12-18-2007, 04:36 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by shaeff
^ then from what you say, i was partially correct...
Yep, you got it. The ring gear and drive shaft don't turn which is good, no need to wear them out. They *could* turn if somehow the disconnected side bound up by magical mythical forces but otherwise it's about the path of least resistance.

Frank
Old 12-18-2007, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by ovrrdrive
Well, at least the manual hubs should be pretty easy to sell once the conversion is complete. I can't say that I ever saw someone go this route though...
I'll buy 'em!
Old 12-18-2007, 04:56 PM

im keeping them ive changed my mind lol ill just leave the sob's locked =) f it, it its only 4wheel peel ^_^ thanks guys

Last edited by Perdurable; 12-18-2007 at 04:57 PM.

Quick Reply: Swaping Manual hubs for auto lockers