Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

sumthin strange is-a goin on...

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 06:44 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
sumthin strange is-a goin on...

So I noticed something odd today as I left the Walmart...

As I was backing out of my parking space, I had the radio turned down and the windows down, and as I backed up, I heard a squeaking coming from the rear-end...

Now I know for a fact my rear wheel bearings are shot, but let me go on with the story...

So I drove the rest of the way home with the radio off and really listening to the truck. Going forward, there's no squeak... at all... BUT, say I'm in 2nd gear doing about 25-30mph, getting to that point to normally shift at, and I don't shift, but instead just let off the gas, clutch still engaged, I hear a nice little whine... can kinda feel it through the shifter too... does it in any gear; at any speed. If I depress the clutch and coast, nothing at all (aside from the obvious faint roar that I KNOW is from the wheel bearings). Doesn't make the noise while accelerating, or at least I don't notice it; it might, I just can't hear it because of my freakin exhaust leak...

So when I got home I did a little test in the parking lot in front of the apartment complex. Come to a stop, press the clutch in, shift to reverse, back up like normal, drive backwards for a few seconds at maybe 5-10 mph, depress the clutch and coast a bit, then come back to a stop. It only squeaks while on the gas backing up? When keeping a constant speed or pressing in the clutch and coasting, it makes no noise... Basically, only under a load in reverse will it make the noise...

So I guess here's my question...

Do you guys think the wheel bearings could be causing that noise too?

Only other things I can think of are u-joints or pinion bearing. I would really hate it to be a pinion bearing, a u-joint's no problem though... to be honest, they might be do for a change N E way...

Thanks in advance guys!

Last edited by iamsuperbleeder; 09-09-2008 at 06:47 PM.
Old 09-09-2008, 07:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by iamsuperbleeder
So I noticed something odd today as I left the Walmart...

As I was backing out of my parking space, I had the radio turned down and the windows down, and as I backed up, I heard a squeaking coming from the rear-end...

Now I know for a fact my rear wheel bearings are shot, but let me go on with the story...

So I drove the rest of the way home with the radio off and really listening to the truck. Going forward, there's no squeak... at all... BUT, say I'm in 2nd gear doing about 25-30mph, getting to that point to normally shift at, and I don't shift, but instead just let off the gas, clutch still engaged, I hear a nice little whine... can kinda feel it through the shifter too... does it in any gear; at any speed. If I depress the clutch and coast, nothing at all (aside from the obvious faint roar that I KNOW is from the wheel bearings). Doesn't make the noise while accelerating, or at least I don't notice it; it might, I just can't hear it because of my freakin exhaust leak...

So when I got home I did a little test in the parking lot in front of the apartment complex. Come to a stop, press the clutch in, shift to reverse, back up like normal, drive backwards for a few seconds at maybe 5-10 miles per hour, depress the clutch and coast a bit, then come back to a stop. It only squeaks while on the gas backing up? When keeping a constant speed or pressing in the clutch and coasting, it makes no noise... Basically, only under a load in reverse will it make the noise...

So I guess here's my question...

Do you guys think the wheel bearings could be causing that noise too?

Only other things I can think of are u-joints or pinion bearing. I would really hate it to be a pinion bearing, a u-joint's no problem though... to be honest, they might be do for a change N E way...

Thanks in advance guys!
i would check the u-joints and diff fluid level. could be that the u joints are worn in one direction and when you go backwards it rubs in a weird way. try greasing the u joints and slip joint in the drive shafts.

could also be a shock or sway bar bushings as when you are going backwards under load, you are twisting everything in the opposite direction than when you are going forwards.
Old 09-09-2008, 07:19 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Alex 400
i would check the u-joints and diff fluid level. could be that the u joints are worn in one direction and when you go backwards it rubs in a weird way. try greasing the u joints and slip joint in the drive shafts.

could also be a shock or sway bar bushings as when you are going backwards under load, you are twisting everything in the opposite direction than when you are going forwards.
well, I know the diff fluid's good; I replaced the 3rd member gasket about 2 and a half weeks ago; that's how I found out my wheel bearings are shot.

I took the truck up to a Jiffy Lube to drop off my old motor oil and diff fluid after the gasket install, and since I'm in good with the manager up there (I use to work there years and years ago), I got the lower bay guy to go over the truck real fast and look for any obvious leaks and hit the fittings with the grease gun, but some of those guys are sorry, I may have to bust out the grease gun and look myself; maybe go ahead and replace the u-joints while I'm down there...

the sway-bar's getting removed here soon anyway, so if those bushings being shot are causing that, then I may have to rip it out sooner...

you really think I could be shocks? haha, mine are the original Toyota ones... 288k miles on em... I was kinda wanting to waint till the lift here in the next few months before putting new shocks on...
Old 09-09-2008, 07:23 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
check your lug nuts....could be the rear brakes dragging...
but it could be the wheel bearings,
I'd bet u-joints though...
Old 09-09-2008, 07:33 PM

well, I know the diff fluid's good; I replaced the 3rd member gasket about 2 and a half weeks ago; that's how I found out my wheel bearings are shot.

I took the truck up to a Jiffy Lube to drop off my old motor oil and diff fluid after the gasket install, and since I'm in good with the manager up there (I use to work there years and years ago), I got the lower bay guy to go over the truck real fast and look for any obvious leaks and hit the fittings with the grease gun, but some of those guys are sorry, I may have to bust out the grease gun and look myself; maybe go ahead and replace the u-joints while I'm down there...

the sway-bar's getting removed here soon anyway, so if those bushings being shot are causing that, then I may have to rip it out sooner...

you really think I could be shocks? haha, mine are the original Toyota ones... 288k miles on em... I was kinda wanting to waint till the lift here in the next few months before putting new shocks on...
well i was just thinking about the when you put a rig with leaf springs under load, they torque a little and then release to a neutral position. which made me thing of things that might get pulled on one way more than the other. I would check the u joints first.
Old 09-09-2008, 07:34 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by abecedarian
check your lug nuts....could be the rear brakes dragging...
but it could be the wheel bearings,
I'd bet u-joints though...
rofl, I can't believe you even brought up "lug nuts" after one of my recent last posts...

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...-today-153024/

It's not lug nuts, there's all new locking lugs on there now... and their tight... I check em daily now, lol

I didn't think about the brakes; their getting replaced too after I rim em off to do the wheel bearings...

I think I'll just start with the u-joints and see how that goes... the back one seemed a little stiff when doing that 3rd member gasket, so I'll bet that's all it is; we'll see, I may have time to tackle it this weekend... so long as my drive shaft stays in till then, lol

Last edited by iamsuperbleeder; 09-09-2008 at 07:36 PM.
Old 09-09-2008, 07:42 PM

rofl, I can't believe you even brought up "lug nuts" after one of my recent last posts...

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...-today-153024/

It's not lug nuts, there's all new locking lugs on there now... and their tight... I check em daily now, lol

I didn't think about the brakes; their getting replaced too after I rim em off to do the wheel bearings...

I think I'll just start with the u-joints and see how that goes... the back one seemed a little stiff when doing that 3rd member gasket, so I'll bet that's all it is; we'll see, I may have time to tackle it this weekend... so long as my drive shaft stays in till then, lol
oh yeah your the guy that those little SOB's screwed with. i am sorry bout that. I am sure that wasn't good for your wheel bearings either
Old 09-09-2008, 07:45 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Alex 400
...I am sure that wasn't good for your wheel bearings either
... or brake drum... or wheel studs... or rear fender... or my dignity as I watched my own tire roll by me...

Old 09-09-2008, 07:45 PM

lol... that's why I brought up the lug nuts, knowing the rim's a bit torn up.
cool
I was kinda thinking that dropping the truck on the drum might've distorted it a bit, and rolling backwards may be dragging on the rear shoe
good luck!
Old 09-10-2008, 01:11 AM

i would have to say u-joints too, but the brakes rubbing is a good possibility

drive around for a while and the stop and touch all your u-joints caps, if any are super hot, or hotter that the others, need to replace 'em

and just a thought, if your wheel bearings are shot, REPLACE them, you think its scary seeing you tire roll by you, just wait 'til it has the axle shaft still attached lol
Old 09-10-2008, 02:53 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
LOL!!! Yeah.........just ask Lysmachia about that! Scary!
Old 09-10-2008, 03:06 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Keener
and just a thought, if your wheel bearings are shot, REPLACE them, you think its scary seeing you tire roll by you, just wait 'til it has the axle shaft still attached lol
yes sir, asap. I have the bearings and seals and everything all right here beside me; it's getting the time to do it I'm having a problem with...
Old 09-10-2008, 03:55 AM

Had same prob in my rig, couple weeks ago, squeaking in reverse, and occasionally going forward... then, it suddenly went away for a week or 2, then last week, major vibration in driveline.... turned out the rear u-joint was toast, replaced both...problem solved. good luck
Old 09-10-2008, 04:06 PM
Contributing Member

well, so long that it lasts me 2 more days, I'll change em both Sat after my eye exam... having nothing else to do the rest of the day, lol
Old 09-10-2008, 04:10 PM

well maybe after the eye exam, you'll be able to the problem