Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Repair IFS or SAS

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 07:46 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If it were to be done today, I would order the TG IFS Eliminator and the rear leaf set from Wabbit, but I'd have to have help with the welding. The plan for the welding was to buy one and start practicing before doing the SAS.

Given the current state of the truck, I think that I might just put on new "cheap" shocks, and find a set of manual hubs to put on, then sell the hubs when I do the swap. Keep on driving and save for the SAS.
Old 02-12-2011, 07:49 AM

Location: Nashville TN. I can help you if you're close BUT NOBODY CAN HELP YOU IF YOU DON'T FILL YOUR LOCATION IN!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
hehe... just making a point...

I used to sit around all day and dream this stuff up too, and I often left things like this out.
Old 02-12-2011, 07:56 AM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
for the $2000 in parts it would cost to do it right, I would just look for an 84-85 rig for that much and just throw a set of 4" springs on it and call it good. Then look at longfields, highsteer etc etc later on.
Old 02-12-2011, 07:57 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by xxxtreme22r
if you find a good set of toyota rear springs that are not flat and riding on the overloads for $50 let me know. Because I will sell my rears off my 87 when I put my lift springs in for $50 plus shipping if that's the case.
They are in just about every pick n pull around. My local one gets $35 for truck springs per side but have 50% off days about every couple months or so.

Going tomorrow to grab some F150 rears cause this weekend is a 50% off sale. Springs, u-bolt flip, and shackles should be about $50-60 or so.
Old 02-12-2011, 08:01 AM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
I do not know one person on here that DOES NOT have saggy rear original leaf springs. That is my point. If you want to get saggy rear leafs that have absolutely no droop or full flex be my guest. IMO you'd wind up with an $2000+ SAS rig that flexes just a little better if not the same as an IFS rig. Although the removal of the overload leaf may or may not help with spring flex. That I cannot say for sure.

From my limited searches and what I found the guys doing the RUF, most of them if not all are using new springs.

Last edited by xxxtreme22r; 02-12-2011 at 08:43 AM.
Old 02-12-2011, 04:15 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
SAS parts, rear lift parts, tires, gears, lockers, driveshafts, armor etc.

Use your own calculator. That's just parts. Add in the cost of labor if you don't have a welder and the other things you need to do the job. Welding is the easy part. It's all the other stuff you have to do that takes tools, time and sweat.

:wabbit2:
Old 02-13-2011, 12:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FWIW, I had a 1990 about 8 years ago that was IFS when I bought it. I paid a local guy to do the SAS on it, regear, limited slips, etc. etc. It ended up costing me about three grand back then, and that was a deal. The wheeling I did with it was mild at best, and easily could have been done with my IFS set-up that was cut off. For my money, I would say rebuild the IFS, and buy cheap trail spares. If you start destroying IFS parts (shafts, hubs, Ring and Pinions) due to your driving style, THEN take a look at doing a SAS. But if you don't need to spend the money on a SAS, then I wouldn't.

Just my $.02
Old 02-13-2011, 03:18 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
If I was in the same spot you are I'd rebuild the IFS.

Just as a "butt-cheek" estimate including all the little extras you'll need for the conversion you could probably spend 5K on the SAS. By little extras I mean tires, gears, lockers if you want, etc......

As an FYI Bigbluepile on here is still running his IFS (unless he's changed it and refused to tell me) on 35's, dual lockers I think, and he wheels the crap out of that rig.

So that you don't feel I'm talking out of my rear here I run dual lockers in my 89, only 4.56 gears and 31" tires though, and the IFS doesn't have an issue. I've got 235,000 miles on what I believe are original shafts and no issues there either. Of course I'm no crazy @$$ed rock crawler but it does what it needs to when I want it to.

My advice is rebuild the IFS and wheel it. Have fun with it. If you find that you start tearing things up then SAS it later on. In the interim you can put a little money aside every paycheck into a "4runner account" and in a few months or a year you can SAS it if you want.
Old 02-16-2011, 12:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i agree rebuild the ifs especially if your not that experienced of a driver you prob dont wheel trails hard enough where you have to have a sfa rig. i run a ifs 94 original cv's and everything. just did front and rear lockers we'll see if that starts breaking them but i am happy with my ifs for now. hell its fun to pick a tire off the ground now and then keeps it exciting. love seeing guys faces when a wheel comes three or four feet in the air. lol