86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Power steering pump squealing and burning

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 06:39 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Power steering pump squealing and burning

I have been having a hell of a time with my 89 3.0. First, I had to replace the steering gearbox because it was leaking. After the gearbox was in, the pump started leaking so I went ahead and bought a new/reman one from O'reilly's. I know, I have read the threads on rebuilding it myself, but I just wanted this project over and done.
After all of the trials and tribulations of getting the pulley off and then back on( I cut it off, btw), and then having to replace the pressure hose because it was frayed, I got everything back on and crossed my fingers.
It started, it turned, but at full lock, or close to it, I would get this chirping or squealing.
I turned it off, checked the fluid level, added a little and tried again. Same thing, but I noticed a burning smell.
This morning, I decided to drive it around the block and see what happens. It drives fine, steering works, but when I stop and lift the hood, I can smell something burning and its coming from the pump or near the pump. Its not strong, but before I go and take this pump back to O'reilly's, has anyone had similar experience?
My concern is that the union bolt assembly is not working correctly or that double ended valve that affects the idle.
I will check back later for any hints. Thanks in advance.
Old 07-24-2008, 07:02 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm willing to bet that the Oreillys pump is your problem...I would just use a stock used pump...

Did you drain all the fluid in the system?

Is it possible the burning smell could be from extra fluid burning off your exhaust manifold or engine?

What type of bleeding procedure did you use?
Old 07-24-2008, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by dirtoyboy
I'm willing to bet that the Oreillys pump is your problem...I would just use a stock used pump...

Did you drain all the fluid in the system?

Is it possible the burning smell could be from extra fluid burning off your exhaust manifold or engine?

What type of bleeding procedure did you use?
I drained most of the fluid by default ( disconnecting the hoses and taking out the old pump left the system dry, but I had just replaced the gearbox so all of the fluid is relatively new ATF). I have let it run without turning the wheels and it doesn't squeal or burn, but I think I just figured out the problem. Rookie mistake.
My belt is really loose! I had my girlfriend turn the wheel and I could see it. Doh!

I will chime back in if this is the problem. Thanks for the quick reply.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:06 AM

I tightened the belt and that stopped the squealing, but I am still getting some burning/very very light smoke after I have been driving it. However, its coming from the exhaust manifold area so maybe it is just old fluid that is burning off. I will just have to keep an eye on the gauges and check it often.

How long should it take for splashed/spill ATF fluid to burn off?

anyone have an experience like this?
Old 07-24-2008, 09:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AustinTaco
I tightened the belt and that stopped the squealing, but I am still getting some burning/very very light smoke after I have been driving it. However, its coming from the exhaust manifold area so maybe it is just old fluid that is burning off. I will just have to keep an eye on the gauges and check it often.

Should not take too long if that's what it is. Hey what part of ATX are you in? Me Lamar & 183 Area.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:19 AM

Glad you got it fingered out....here are some generic bleeding instructions FYI or for next time. If you have a newer IFS v6 box they have bleeders right on the top of the box...makes it pretty easy..

http://trail-gear.com/pdf/boxblead-instructions.pdf
Old 07-24-2008, 09:22 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
doesn't ATF set fire quite easily on an exhaust manifold?

jk, just a few drops won't do anything but smoke and stink... glad to hear that all that it was!
Old 07-24-2008, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by iamsuperbleeder
doesn't ATF set fire quite easily on an exhaust manifold?

jk, just a few drops won't do anything but smoke and stink... glad to hear that all that it was!
YEs it is flammable (but not combustible) but only a #1 category on MSDS..so not HIGHLY flammable
Old 07-24-2008, 09:35 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
haha, tell that to my buddy who just burnt his company van to the ground when a tranny line busted... I wish I had the pictures... $50,000 worth of building AC parts, gone in a flash (no pun intended)
Old 07-24-2008, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by iamsuperbleeder
haha, tell that to my buddy who just burnt his company van to the ground when a tranny line busted... I wish I had the pictures... $50,000 worth of building AC parts, gone in a flash (no pun intended)
Yea if you got more than a couple drops or had a busted line on the mainfold it WOULD definitely catch fire....sorry...my previous statement was somewhat misleading
Old 07-24-2008, 10:40 AM

I realized that I left two bolts off the back of the pump. They hold on that thin plate that goes around the rear of the pump. I don't know if that has an effect, but it probably should be on there

I live in South Austin and hang out at Krawltex sometimes, Krawltex.com. If you are ever south on the first Wed of the month, you should head over there for there monthly meetings. cool people and lots of Lonestar.

Its raining now, so I will eat lunch and try and get back at it. Thanks for all the replies.

BTW, this is just a rant, but I think most people hate the 3.0 not because of its power or hg issues( of which I have yet to experience at 185K), but because its a pain in the ass to work on. My 3.4, 22r, and 22re's are easy compared to this thing!
Old 07-24-2008, 10:49 AM

I realized that I left two bolts off the back of the pump. They hold on that thin plate that goes around the rear of the pump. I don't know if that has an effect, but it probably should be on there

I live in South Austin and hang out at Krawltex sometimes, Krawltex.com. If you are ever south on the first Wed of the month, you should head over there for there monthly meetings. cool people and lots of Lonestar.

Its raining now, so I will eat lunch and try and get back at it. Thanks for all the replies.

BTW, this is just a rant, but I think most people hate the 3.0 not because of its power or hg issues( of which I have yet to experience at 185K), but because its a pain in the ass to work on. My 3.4, 22r, and 22re's are easy compared to this thing!
OH HELL YA!!!!!! I've been looking for somewhere to geek out about my 4Runner locally. I am so tired of getting rammed into by idiots on the phone I want some solid bumbers. Just the people to talk to... I may see you on the 6th.
Old 07-27-2008, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by kramykram
OH HELL YA!!!!!! I've been looking for somewhere to geek out about my 4Runner locally. I am so tired of getting rammed into by idiots on the phone I want some solid bumbers. Just the people to talk to... I may see you on the 6th.
I won't make the meeting on the 6th since I will be at work, but you should go by and introduce yourself. They are cool group to know and very knowledgeable.

My 89 is still sitting. I dropped two of the short M10 x 1.25 bolts and I can't find them and nobody stocks them. I am going to go pull some bolts from the junk truck in the backyard.

edit:
I decided to cut a bolt down to size with a dremel, and surprisingly, it worked! I got everthing put back together, and all seemed good, but I think the pump is overheating. The fluid level is right on, and I have been turning the wheel back and forth and then checking the fluid to make sure its still good.
The pump seems to get pretty hot though, and I don't remember this happening before. Am I paranoid? I switched the vac hoses on the air control valve after reading a post about which hose goes where.
How hot is the power steering pump?
later

Last edited by AustinTaco; 07-27-2008 at 11:35 PM.
Old 07-28-2008, 05:39 AM

I won't make the meeting on the 6th since I will be at work, but you should go by and introduce yourself. They are cool group to know and very knowledgeable.

My 89 is still sitting. I dropped two of the short M10 x 1.25 bolts and I can't find them and nobody stocks them. I am going to go pull some bolts from the junk truck in the backyard.

edit:
I decided to cut a bolt down to size with a dremel, and surprisingly, it worked! I got everthing put back together, and all seemed good, but I think the pump is overheating. The fluid level is right on, and I have been turning the wheel back and forth and then checking the fluid to make sure its still good.
The pump seems to get pretty hot though, and I don't remember this happening before. Am I paranoid? I switched the vac hoses on the air control valve after reading a post about which hose goes where.
How hot is the power steering pump?
later
Flea's power steering system gets so hot I installed a very large transmission cooler in the return line with a force air cooling fan. And wen I mean large, almost the size of a small radiator. My front locker, 1 PSI of air in the tires and the perfect traction at Katemcy will cause this.

PS fluid will get very hot. A cooler and a flush with synthetic or a bottle of Lucas will help.

BTW; will get you pictures of the rear seat.. I really do need one that fully folds so I can sack out in the back when camping.
Old 07-30-2008, 12:13 PM

All is good with the power steering pump. It must have been extra fluid that was burning off the engine. There's no noise and it drives great! I have to say, this was a PITA job for a power steering pump. Between getting the pulley off, having to buy a new pressure hose, and losing those damn bolts.....ughhhh.

Thanks for all that helped. My girlfriend can drive this one now instead of the Tacoma!
Old 07-30-2008, 01:07 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Wow, I went and bought a used oem pump and the install went very easily...
But the area is quite tight! I cut my arm up and was up to grease/atf fluid to the shoulders...