86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

*PICS* How Does This Thing Come Off???

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 01:25 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RutRipper
I can try again but the two studs wont come all the way out...i think the bearing is not letting them. I have tried hammering the other side in again and then trying to take them all out evenly but that one side just wont come out.
so hit harder?
Old 10-13-2008, 09:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
go grab a slide hammer.

its a completly different setup, but my old neighbor had an older cougar and the bearing siezed up and he couldn't pull the axle out. Slide hammer did the trick for him. Now idk whats holding yours up. but ill bet a slide hammer would do the trick

go to autozone if you have one and rent on, its a loner tool, so you get all your money back when you return it.
Old 10-13-2008, 09:35 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Originally Posted by drew303
wo wo wow..

by no means should that retainer pivot like that on the bearing. How lose is the backing plate on the axle? Does it wiggle around THAT much? To where you can turn it on the brearing that far? That's nuts.

Something aint right with that picture.

Regardless... If your trying to pull the axle out with that retainer cockeyed, your just binding the studs up on the holes in the housing. Get a hammer and smack those studs straight. You should be pulling the retainer w/ axle 'straight' out.

I agree-that is just, well fubar. if you can pivot the backing plate that much I think you have got a broken axle or something and if that was the case it should just pull out...I have never been able to get the axle out at an angle like that. It only comes out straight.

Schwab is gonna charge you $90-100 an hour. They would not do anything that has not been suggested here. Been buying tires there for over 20 years (yeah I am an old fart according to my kid)
Old 10-13-2008, 10:00 AM

On the backing plate:

-Or-

On the studs:
Old 10-13-2008, 01:43 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
ummmm, yeah... that thing needs to come straight out, otherwise you do exactly what's happening there... you bind up on those studs...

take one of these that SwampThing suggested...

and looking back at this picture...

you need to tap that on that stud that's coming out further than all the others...

might be difficult to do with the end flange of the axle in the way, so you might find it easier to make use of a 6" extention.

it will be much easier to push that one stud back in to get it free than to push the other 3 out first...

if you try to hit that backing-plate with the hammer to free the studs up, you WILL bend it... not really a big deal since you can just bend it right back, but it's hard to always get it back to it's original form... I'd just assume not take the chance all together and do it right...

if you do decide to try to tap on the studs from the inside out, thread one of the nuts you removed on the end of the stud so that you spread the force out on the nut and the stud, this will save the threads on those studs... you've already got problems obviously, don't make more for yourself...

that should straigten out the flanges with each other, and once their straight, it should slide STRAIGHT out, with hardly any force at all.

try holding the backing-plate and jiggling it a little bit while pulling it out away from the truck; I found that helps, cause that wiggles the studs around so they make their way out of the holes on the axle housing flange

if the bearings are really shot, just pulling on that flange on the end of the exle shaft can let that backing-plate and bearing housing get cock-eyed and do just what it did and make those studs bind up; good bearings wont let the backing plate and axle shaft wiggle amoung each other like that, they only let each other spin... it's a bearing meant for spinning, not a ball and socket joint meant to pivit in any direction...

in the end, before you try to pull that exle out, you need to have this...

looking like this...

it should then come right out as described...

I know, I'm an evil picture-modding genious

Last edited by iamsuperbleeder; 10-14-2008 at 01:44 PM.
Old 10-13-2008, 10:36 PM

Good news...it CAME OFF!! Unfortunately i had to pay someone to do it but I'm just glad it's off. Turns out one of the balls in the bearing was cracked in half...so i guess that's what made it hold up so bad...now that it's out the bearing has a ridiculous amount of play. I bought some new bearings and should have them in next week. Thanks for your help guys!
Old 10-13-2008, 11:24 PM

well glad u got it off but you didnt need to pay anyone

the bearing... case..retainer. backing... axle flange, brake.s...... bearing cracked in half....

HAD NOTHING.... i repeat... NOTHING to do with the axle coming out.
Old 10-14-2008, 01:43 PM
Contributing Member

well glad u got it off but you didnt need to pay anyone

the bearing... case..retainer. backing... axle flange, brake.s...... bearing cracked in half....

HAD NOTHING.... i repeat... NOTHING to do with the axle coming out.
X's 2...

Old 10-14-2008, 11:39 PM
Banned

I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM! the axle will just not slide out of that backing plate. I pounded it with the back of an axe for a while it only moved about an inch. Its pissed me off like no other,3 days with no progress. Tomorrow I'm taking it to the machine shop and pay for them to deal it, which is not in my tight budget. (1979 4x4 pick up)
Old 10-15-2008, 02:14 AM

Maybe theres some gremlins running around holding your axle splines into their differential(s)?

Or maybe theres no gremlins and the folks trying to pull these axles dont realize the backingplate, bearing retainer, bearing,.. its retainer.. Axle Flange.. and all 4 studs come out as one unit held in by ... well nothing?

Shall I repeat the only thing holding a Toyota axle into its housing is the 4 ... 14mm nuts that compress the 4 studs that run through the bearing retainer... which.. .compress the backing plate to it..... ... . . ? nah thatd be to easy..... nope... just keep cussing at it. It'll fallout eventually =)
Old 10-15-2008, 02:07 PM
Contributing Member

Maybe theres some gremlins running around holding your axle splines into their differential(s)?

Or maybe theres no gremlins and the folks trying to pull these axles dont realize the backingplate, bearing retainer, bearing,.. its retainer.. Axle Flange.. and all 4 studs come out as one unit held in by ... well nothing?

Shall I repeat the only thing holding a Toyota axle into its housing is the 4 ... 14mm nuts that compress the 4 studs that run through the bearing retainer... which.. .compress the backing plate to it..... ... . . ? nah thatd be to easy..... nope... just keep cussing at it. It'll fallout eventually =)
I'd like to second that... or would it be third that, considering I've already said it once before... or fourth that since you too are saying it for the second time... either way, here it goes...

There's really, absolutly nothing, and I mean NOTHING further in from those 4 bolts that keep that axle in there...

It just does not make any since what-so-ever for an axle to be stuck after you remove the hydraulic brake line, the cable connection for the parking brake, and then those 4 nuts behind the backing plate. At the most, a little bit of wiggling is all that should be needed (unless you're working on a junk-yard rear-end and the thing's all rusted together, then a hammer on those 4 studs should break them free)

Last edited by iamsuperbleeder; 10-15-2008 at 02:11 PM.
Old 10-16-2008, 10:06 PM
Banned

i see what wrong with his now he cant get it out of the axle housing... ive got a different problem.
Old 10-24-2008, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by alexjobot
i see what wrong with his now he cant get it out of the axle housing... ive got a different problem.
Are you trying to get the bearing to slide down the axle?

Word of advice, pay a shop to do it. They got the jig and press to pop the bearings on and off.

It's typically $40 a side. Bring them your axle and the new bearings (and outer seal!). so $80 + the cost of the parts and you save yourself a massive headache and unneccessary damage to the axle (splines) from trying that shadetree method of smashing it on the gruond (been there done that, its not worth it).

The SST (jig) is around $200. I've thought about buying it since I have a press. Or making one.