86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

mystery ignition problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 04:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mystery ignition problem

I've got a 91 4runner 3.0 v6. I'm getting a healthy spark from the coil through the coil plug wire to the distributor. Ive got a new cap and the rotor looks in good condition. There is no spark going to the plugs! I have a toyota service manual and have went through the check list for the ignition. Everything has checked out to the computer and ignitor. I got a computer today but out of a junkyard because I thought maybe the compter was throwing the timing off far enough to not spark..I didn't really think that was the problem. The only thing left is to replace the ignitor..the service manual doesn't give a way to test but the way I understand the ignitor is an on off switch controlled by the cpu right? To give voltage to the coil? Could this be it? Someone knowledgeble please let me know. thanks, nathan
Old 03-08-2008, 04:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
welcome, im glad to see someone is doing their homework on their malfunctioning truck. try replacing your spark plug wires, and replacing the rotor. and is the distributor working?
Old 03-08-2008, 07:33 PM

Received 822 Likes on 649 Posts
If you are getting a spark on the coil wire (by holding the coil wire near a ground and cranking), but you are not getting spark at the plug (by pulling the plug, putting it back in the plug wire, then holding the side of plug to ground and cranking), then it is either the plug wire or the rotor. You can't get spark on the coil wire without the ignitor (mostly) working. You can't get spark on the coil wire without the computer commanding a spark. The distributor talks to the computer (for timing), but not the other way around.

It is possible your timing is so far off (like 30 degrees!) that the rotor isn't pointing at a plug post. You can set the crank to TDC (better yet, 10 degrees before), pull the distributor cap, and check that the rotor is pointing at the #1 plug wire (or 180 degrees away).

Last, be judicious about testing spark by cranking. You're still putting fuel into the cylinders; there is a small fire hazard.
Old 03-09-2008, 06:06 PM

Plug wires are new. I should also say this wasn't running when I got it, first thing I need to do is get the ignition working though cause it has fuel pressure. I've checked the resistance across the rotor it looks like the owner got a new rotor also. I guess I will check the timing. I thought no matter where it was it would atleast spark off timing but I guess it could be right in the wrong spot to not be able to spark any of the plugs. I figure its gotta be somethin simple just because thats the things that seem to take the longest to fix.
Old 03-11-2008, 12:29 PM

I appreciate the help. I guess theres about three different rotors for a 91 toyota 4runner v6. The one I had was a little to short but the same height. Put the right one in and fired right up. Not bad for 500.00 to get it runnin with a 5.00 part. Been down for 2 years cause of this. guess someone did a tune up and it stopped runnin.