86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Loud squealing after 3vze rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 04:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Loud squealing after 3vze rebuild

Ok so I rebuilt my motor completely, new bearings pistons, rebuilt heads, and new timing belt kit and today I finished the motor install and got it to run but the idle is just a little rough and it makes a loud squealing almost screeching noise while it's running and gets louder as rpms increase.... It sounds likets coming from either the throttlebody area or the distributor area so I took out distributor and checked to see if it was properly lubricated. It was so I messed around by turning the distributor while it was running and the noise got very quiet when I turned it all the way to the left but came back when I accelerated.

Anyone have any idea to what this is? I'm exhausted and need to get it running right already. Thanks!

Oh it's almost like a super loud belt squealing noise. I initially thought it might be the alternator belt because I'm reusing it but it's just too loud to be a belt squeal I think....
Old 01-29-2012, 05:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
double check the alt belt to see how loose it is. also have u checked to see if the bearings in the dist. are good? i would pull it out and see how hard it is to spin the dist. shaft.
Old 01-29-2012, 05:35 PM

Received 301 Likes on 207 Posts
Its really hard to guess a sound over the internets...any way you can get a video or sound clip?
Old 01-29-2012, 05:50 PM

Eating dinner and taking a break right now lol I'm physically and mentally exhausted! Hahaha I really think it's coming from the alternator or the belt because it is an old belt. I'm gunna disconnect it a little later and run it like that to see if it still makes the noise. Distributor seemed ok even before the rebuild
Old 01-29-2012, 09:11 PM

ok so took all the alt, ps, and ac belts off, prayed turned the key and it still screeched! i was frustrated so i just started feeling around the intake area and found it! it was the throttle body! the bottom two bolts were loose so i tightened them and it went away almost! still slightly hear it so im gunna take it off and clean it up real good and throw a new gasket on it... when i put it back on i used a new gasket but some pieces of the old gasket were impossible to get off so i so it off as good as i could... well it obviously wasn't good enough lol

relieved it wasnt an internal noise hahaha thanks guys!
Old 01-29-2012, 09:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
good deal, always a good feeling when its not a big price item going bad....
Old 01-29-2012, 09:39 PM

HUGE relief! haha when i drove it for the first time it stumbled a bit around 3k rpms but im just gunna mess with the timing tomorrow im pretty sure thats what it is.
Old 02-26-2015, 06:39 PM

Exclamation 3.ooohno

Hi their have a 1989 3.0 did a rebuild on the motor about 8k ago check engine just came on yesterday then all of a sudden today my truck squeaks when accelerating first second and 3rd if I am bogging it or floored but not when I let off or am consistently on the gas any help ?? And I just replaced my acbelt and pulley bearing and I did notice my fan has some play any advice would be apreciated thank you
Old 02-27-2015, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by 1989toyota3vze
Hi their have a 1989 3.0 did a rebuild on the motor about 8k ago check engine just came on yesterday then all of a sudden today my truck squeaks when accelerating first second and 3rd if I am bogging it or floored but not when I let off or am consistently on the gas any help ?? And I just replaced my acbelt and pulley bearing and I did notice my fan has some play any advice would be apreciated thank you
I haven't been on here in a while! But after breaking in the motor a new screech developed and It was screeching consistently throughout all rpms. It turned out to be the alternator bearings, replaced the alternator and now she's quiet as can be! I would replace the belts one by one to try to isolate the problem. One thing I did too was spray wd40 with the motor running on the pulleys and belts to try to find out where... I would do that with the old belts not the new ones.... When I sprayed wd40 on my alternator pulley it stop making noise, replaced the belt and still made the noise so I replaced the alternator and fixed it
Old 02-27-2015, 09:47 AM

I can't help you with the fan though because I have an electric fan on mine so my setup is different
Old 03-18-2015, 04:00 PM

70elcoss
I can't help you with the fan though because I have an electric fan on mine so my setup is different

Hi sorry for the late reply turns out it was my ujoints in the rear axle one of the bearings was seized bought both front and rear u joints for the rear drive line back to flawless again now just saving for that sas swap