Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Life Lesson Learned

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 08:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We've had good luck removing the smoke odor with vinegar. Pour some into a few bowls or open containers and set them in the vehicle. Most of the time after day 2 the smell is gone and doesn't return.
Old 12-30-2011, 09:55 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Don't worry about the smell of smoke in your truck that CRACK PIPE is what you should worry about save her while she can be saved then worry about the smoke smell just sayin
Old 12-31-2011, 07:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mt4runner
We've had good luck removing the smoke odor with vinegar. Pour some into a few bowls or open containers and set them in the vehicle. Most of the time after day 2 the smell is gone and doesn't return.
Awesome I'll have to try that.

We're under a high wind warning today.. Gusts in excess of 65.. I'm just gonna open her up and let nature take over..

As for why she was living with us in the first place... she [said] she was trying to get away from "the wrong crowd" if you know what I mean. I've known her since she was pretty young, and I just couldn't let her throw her life down the hole. So, it was my idea to have her move in with us, and leave all the crap behind. It went good at first.. then she started slipping. So.. here I am today. Dealing with the odor in my truck.
Old 12-31-2011, 08:42 AM
Contributing Member

I buy/sell a half-dozen special interest vehicles per year, sometimes a barn find that usually smells like a chicken coop. I've tried all the products mentioned but they're short-term fixes, the smells return in a few weeks even after multiple applications.

This is the product that works best, though, and is a long-term fix:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B001H8VLFC

About your truck...sorry. I've had a few similar experiences. The one that changed everything happened after putting a high-performance car into storage at a friend's house with the agreement that it wouldn't be driven by anyone. His wife took it out one night and totaled it into a concrete barrier. I wound up paying the deductible, her hospital bills and increased insurance rates for three years. Now, if anyone wants to borrow one of my vehicles (like my neighbor last month who wanted the FJC to pull a stump), I give them a coupon good for a discounted rental car from Enterprise.

But my real gripe is that young men and women younger than your basket case acquaintance are putting their lives on the line every day protecting us in the military while crackheads get free taxpayer provided lawyers to get them out of their jams. I'd take her to small claims court, win the judgment that you'll never collect, then sell it at discounted value to places that specialize in that business.
Old 12-31-2011, 02:15 PM

I can't believe you've having such a hard time removing smoke smell ...

Get some fabric based febreeze and spray every fabric based surface on your truck - a lot - leave the windows open a little. Spray it twice a day for a couple days to a week and it wont smell like smoke anymore.

As for plastics, take equal parts of dish soap and vinegar and mix them together. Heat the vinegar first (just nuke it..) shake it up and spray it everywhere. Makes a great bathroom cleaner too..
Old 01-01-2012, 06:33 PM
Contributing Member

That seems strange BT ... she basically stole your car and totaled it and you had to pay her hosp. bills and suffer increased ins. rates?... the deductable I can understand but everything else... crazy...
Old 01-02-2012, 08:03 AM

Well.. it is now out of my hands. I've done all I can do. I head back to South Carolina tonight and I'll be reunited with the fam and truck in FL sometime in April (hopefully)

It's all on my wife to work her magic.

Thanks for everyone's help, see ya down the road
Old 01-02-2012, 08:11 AM
Contributing Member

avi, I should've said my insurance paid her hospital bills while I paid the deductible and then increased rates for three years starting at the next renewal. It was an expensive lesson learning that my rates are partly dependent on the actions of others done without my consent.

It sucked, but now recommend the rental car discount coupon to others faced with the same decision. If for some reason they can't rent (e.g. no good credit card), I don't let them make their problem mine. Maybe it sounds harsh, but once burned...
Old 01-02-2012, 11:16 AM
ZUK

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Badger62811
LMAO ... I'm just trying to get rid of the smoke smell. I'm probably only going to drive it one more time before I head back to SC, and I won't see it again for almost 5 months.

It's not the hunting season smell... it's the smell of the hot air mixing with the years of dirt build up in the upholstery.
Surprised no one mentioned it yet....how about a good ionizer? I tried carpet cleaner and something like Fabreez but I could not get that nasty cigarette smake out of my truck back in 2006....until I shoved my house ionizer in the front seat and closed it up for the night. Did the trick
It will also take out the nasty cover-up odors you ADDED to the cab.
Old 01-02-2012, 11:44 AM
ZUK

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Charcoal

Charcoal sounds like a cool idea....
http://askville.amazon.com/cigarette...uestId=2889709

I still see the need for a good wipedown to get the actual chunks of smoke particles off the upholstry and dash and such....
Old 01-02-2012, 12:27 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
I always found that the best idea is to pressure wash the carpet and seats.
I used oxi-clean when i first got my pickup (somebody smoked in it), took all the stains out of the carpet, and the seats, and it smelled great!