Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

IFS Bracket Lift with Long Travel

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 06:55 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
All the comments you guys mentioned above are concerns of mine as well. I think the body lift should go. The steering looks sketchy! It looks really really wide. Those tires are huge! I am nervous as well as excited.

On the plus side, this rig is going to push the limits and find those week links. You can't take it to the next level without putting it out there!
Old 05-20-2010, 07:11 PM

Its all about "cross section" analysis. The 1.5" outside diameter .120 wall chromoly is a stronger material but a piece of rectangular tube of mild steel with a .125 wall thickness and a greater width and depth (1.5 x 2) is stronger. In addition to the larger dimensions it has a third "web" and it is plated on the top and bottom with another layer of .125 steel. The Blazeland lowers are stout.

Originally Posted by PismoJoe
So let me get this straight, you're trying to say that stock a-arms with bolt on extensions are stronger than 4130 chromoly? Not saying it couldn't take a beating, but cmon its 2010...weve come a long way since then haha
Old 05-20-2010, 07:12 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazeN8
On the plus side, this rig is going to push the limits and find those week links. You can't take it to the next level without putting it out there!
very true

best of luck with your field testing!
Old 05-20-2010, 09:11 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by highonpottery
also looks like those t-bars are cranked pretty far too -- how much down-travel is expected with that much t-bar crank? i can't imagine you'd be able to use all that up-travel unless you're jumping it or adding some weight up front (bumper+winch).
Lol, without any kind of Tbar crank, you'd get 0 added lift from the long travel kit...
In reality those bars arent cranked THAT much. The added leverage of the long travel surely makes up for it, and results in a decent ride.
Old 05-21-2010, 07:50 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
^i'm sure the ride is great. i was just wondering how much usable drop is left because those CVs look pretty steep as it sits in the pic and it's already got a diff drop. i thought N8 said in a previous thread that w/o any t-bar adjustment, you get like 2-3" lift over stock or something like that just due to having longer arms, then you can set your height/travel (up vs down) depending on what you're planning on doing like high speed/jumping or low speed/crawling.

definitely interested in seeing how the setup holds up to all the testing. looks like it would be pretty strong, but i'm still wary of the LT + bracket lift + huge ass tires.

blazeN8 - you been selling a lot of these? enough to get some good diverse feedback coming in regarding how it performs for "the average joe"?
Old 05-21-2010, 05:45 PM

I've sold 10 kits this year. This is the third year of my limited productions through Blazeland. Its been almost 5 years since I built the first prototype; which is still on my 4 Runner. I honestly have not had anyone say anything negative. The exception of that is one guy who had some squeaky bushings. Poly bushings will squeak when the lube wears away, just the way it is. But the good news is the bushings are user-serviceable.

The feedback from my customers is all good. The "average joe" says it performs aswome as an entry level system for multi use.

The Desert Runner guys have used my arms as a foundation to build to the intermediate level. One or two have even pushed it to an amateur race level.

The rock crawlers and serious trail guys have given me some positive feedback, but its still to early to really tell how extreme it can go. There are complications with componants outside of the Blazeland scope that need upgrade.

I do know this, the next issue of 4WD Toyota Owner Mag will surprise even the skeptical SAS guys!
Old 05-21-2010, 05:52 PM
Contributing Member

I do know this, the next issue of 4WD Toyota Owner Mag will surprise even the skeptical SAS guys!
oooo, leaving cliff-hangers for the mag on the forums are we?
Old 05-21-2010, 05:58 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
still wanting to get the LT kit!!!!!!

but i doubt i would try to get much lift out of it...and i would run the sway bars for sure LOL

and if i got this kit...could i run some 4.5"-5" backspace rims? with some 35x12.50s
Old 05-21-2010, 05:59 PM

how do i get a subscription to the 4wd toyota owner magazine? i can't find anything anywhere
Old 05-21-2010, 06:11 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by camo31"10.50"
how do i get a subscription to the 4wd toyota owner magazine? i can't find anything anywhere
maybe their web site?

http://www.4wdtoyotaowner.com/
Old 05-21-2010, 06:20 PM

really.....SERIOUSLY!? ...wow..i didn't look very hard..or i misspelled something lmao
Old 05-21-2010, 06:47 PM
Contributing Member

hahaha, it's all good
Old 05-23-2010, 10:44 AM

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts
I've sold 10 kits this year. This is the third year of my limited productions through Blazeland. Its been almost 5 years since I built the first prototype; which is still on my 4 Runner. I honestly have not had anyone say anything negative. The exception of that is one guy who had some squeaky bushings. Poly bushings will squeak when the lube wears away, just the way it is. But the good news is the bushings are user-serviceable.

The feedback from my customers is all good. The "average joe" says it performs aswome as an entry level system for multi use.

The Desert Runner guys have used my arms as a foundation to build to the intermediate level. One or two have even pushed it to an amateur race level.

The rock crawlers and serious trail guys have given me some positive feedback, but its still to early to really tell how extreme it can go. There are complications with componants outside of the Blazeland scope that need upgrade.

Could this be a coil over conversion added to the kit??? I might have to throw one on my 4runner then....
Old 08-04-2010, 05:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here is a ProComp / Blazeland combo. Its just a mock up for testing some different shock configurations so not everything is bolted up. The shock is a 10" travel and the upper shock mount is a shock tower I built way long ago to restore the factory bayonet tabs the Downey double hoops required be cut off.

hey is that the procomp kit with steering knuckle spacers?
Old 08-05-2010, 09:32 PM

Yeah, it is a ProComp Stage II kit. It is your typical 4" drop bracket design with a spindle spacer and drop bracketry to lower the control arms and differential. It is like putting "stilts" for your 4x4! The Stage II is an improved over the Stage I in that it adds "compression struts" and strengthened bump stops.
Old 09-29-2010, 07:44 PM

Nate,
This stuff has come a long way.
I had been working on very much this same type of kit after my work got a waterjet.... but I was looking at using some other bigger OEM american parts and Uniballs rather then the stock ball joint stuff..

unfortunately work, time and life puts these fun projects on hold.

I'm glad to see your stuff progress.
I hope to have my kit done this year ( after I get my Supra turbo back into my 92 runner.

Great stuff !
good luck making a business out of your passion.
Old 10-03-2010, 11:41 AM

Thumbs up

I put about 3 thousand miles on the blaze land drop bracket combo with no problems at all. a lot of gravel roads , trails, sand dunes and pavment.i welded both mine and a freinds 93 4 runner drop brackets to the frame.I had some improvment in highway maners. He has stock a arms and said it made a big diffrence.I would recomend any one using a drop bracket lift to weld it in place if you plan on keeping it.
Old 10-03-2010, 12:18 PM

A few pictures.
Attached Thumbnails IFS Bracket Lift with Long Travel-malloys-1-runner.jpg   IFS Bracket Lift with Long Travel-long-travel-build-1-008.jpg   IFS Bracket Lift with Long Travel-2-runner-molloys.jpg  
Old 10-03-2010, 01:31 PM

so you Welded your drop brackets to the frame? instead of JUST bolting them? therefore making it stronger correct?

that 4runner is AWFULLY TALLL...lmao but it's REALLYYYYY sexy...are those 35x14.50's?
Old 10-03-2010, 02:02 PM

no i would defently use all the bolts.I just put like 6 1.5 inch welds strait down from the singal bolt so you have two holding point insted of one per corner. 37 x 14.5 tires.

Quick Reply: IFS Bracket Lift with Long Travel