Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

HID Projector Headlight?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 10:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's not your suspension, I bought a lot of silver stars because I wanted bright lights and I didn't know any better when I was 16-20 and I assure you they all burned out in under a year!
Old 07-25-2011, 11:56 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Sylvania Silverstars are crap. Osram Silverstars are fantastic. Yes, I know that Osram is Sylvania's parent company. But there is a huge difference in quality between the two.

Edit: also, in my opinion- anyone running Hella E-codes should be running dual beams, otherwise the high beams are very narrow at the leading edge. Running lows on with the highs eliminates this gap in light, especially if you don't have fog/driving lights.

Last edited by shaeff; 07-25-2011 at 11:57 AM.
Old 07-28-2011, 02:24 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
finally ordered my Osram plus 90's, can't wait! Amazon.com, 2 pack for $33 delivered; cheaper than the Sylvania BurnoutStars....

I do need an excuse for new suspension though.... maybe I'll buy bigger tires...
Old 07-28-2011, 05:19 PM

Location: HUNTERSVILLE/CHARLOTTE/LINCOLNTON, GOOD OL NORTH CAROLINA!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I bought a 35$ xentec low beam pnp eBay hid kit in 12k I couldn't see ˟˟˟˟. I also have the h4 black eBay projector headlight whick I love! I ended up 3 days ago buying high and low 10000k bulbs with relay harness the high beam and low beam you should be able to see better and 10k is better light output plus look cool. If you buy a hid kit get lowow and high beam makes a huge difference

Here's the h4 black projectors and 22k hide

Last edited by ironmaidn23; 07-28-2011 at 05:24 PM.
Old 07-28-2011, 06:25 PM

can you picture the cut-off on those lights? Those housings are not a true projector if memory serves me correctly and I'm guessing they scatter a lot of light. Be careful you don't blind anyone.
Old 08-01-2011, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by ironmaidn23
I bought a 35$ xentec low beam pnp eBay hid kit in 12k I couldn't see ˟˟˟˟. I also have the h4 black eBay projector headlight whick I love! I ended up 3 days ago buying high and low 10000k bulbs with relay harness the high beam and low beam you should be able to see better and 10k is better light output plus look cool. If you buy a hid kit get lowow and high beam makes a huge difference

Here's the h4 black projectors and 22k hide
http://i1131.photobucket.com/albums/...713_163142.jpg
http://i1131.photobucket.com/albums/...1277215547.jpg
http://i1131.photobucket.com/albums/...713_163028.jpg
http://i1131.photobucket.com/albums/...716_131306.jpg
Hi, my name is Chris, and I'd like to inform you that you're dead wrong.

1) "eBay" projectors are good for nothing but looks. (and that's debatable!) They're built terribly, don't make full use of the bulb in the housing, and the "projector" part of it is an absolute joke.

2) 10000k? Seriously? That's about as much usable light as a keychain flashlight, not to mention it's PURPLE! For HID kits, the highest you want to go is 4300-5000k. That is the MOST usable light output. Why do you think that OEM manufacturers use 4300k? Because it's the best for USABLE light output!

3) ANY pNp HID kit, regardless of whether it's a hi/lo kit is garbage. Unless you're doing a proper retrofit, I can guarantee you it's junk. Trust me. Been there, done that, and "saw the light." Think about that as you're blinding every car of oncoming traffic, and burning out the retinas of those driving in front of you with your glaremonster headlights.

I'll tell ya what, if you're anywhere in the Hudson Valley in NY, I'll take you for a ride at night in my M3 with a PROPER TFX retrofit (FX35 bixenon projectors with TSX clear lenses) and Osram Nightbreaker +90 high beams) and if you're not 100% blown away, then you MUST be blind!

Seriously, lose the junk and do it right because it'll have much better output, and be much safer for everyone else on the road.

I mean no disrespect, so please take this post as constructive criticism from someone who's already made those mistakes with lighting. (Though, I did 6000k and the light output was still crap. Far too blue to be usable. 10000k is going to look plain stupid, and purple.)

Stop caring what all the "cool" kids on your block are doing, and make your headlights so you can actually see something with them. My car turns heads every time I flick on the headlights. They have 100% usable output, wickedly sharp cutoff, phenomenal high beams, and as a side bonus that I don't care about, they look cool.

Last edited by shaeff; 01-31-2014 at 03:21 PM. Reason: removed IMG tags from pix
Old 08-01-2011, 09:54 AM

Old 11-29-2011, 03:28 PM

OK, now my low beam burned out on one of my Osram nightbreakers.... unbelievable... I know I've been driving almost all forest service roads (which are washboarded terribly) and there has been plenty of extra vibration but jeeez man, they weren't even in for 2 months! got to be kidding me....

maybe 10g is a bit too much juice, but if I burn out any more I'm going to just do an HID conversion. at this rate, it will be cheaper than standard halogen bulbs, cricky....

I used 4crawler's harness diagram as it retains the hi beam indicator and wired it exactly as stated and works perfect. anyone else use 10g wire and have issues? I wouldn't think 12 to 10g wire is that big of a difference but maybe so.

my last set of Osrams are on their way, wish me luck...
Old 11-29-2011, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by aa1911
OK, now my low beam burned out on one of my Osram nightbreakers.... unbelievable... I know I've been driving almost all forest service roads (which are washboarded terribly) and there has been plenty of extra vibration but jeeez man, they weren't even in for 2 months! got to be kidding me....

maybe 10g is a bit too much juice, but if I burn out any more I'm going to just do an HID conversion. at this rate, it will be cheaper than standard halogen bulbs, cricky....

I used 4crawler's harness diagram as it retains the hi beam indicator and wired it exactly as stated and works perfect. anyone else use 10g wire and have issues? I wouldn't think 12 to 10g wire is that big of a difference but maybe so.

my last set of Osrams are on their way, wish me luck...
That sucks, I've had mine for three years with lots of burn time with no issues at all! Increased wire gauge should not decrease bulb life.
Old 11-30-2011, 08:25 AM

hmmmm, didn't think so... i thought it actually increased bulb life too. I know my wiring is solid, time to pull out the DMM if I burn out any more. should be mostly on road driving for a while now.

I guess the bright side (no pun intended, haha) is if I burn out another I will just scrape up some leftover holiday $$ and put it towards an HID retrofit! I do love the ones on my runner
Old 01-27-2014, 06:48 PM

those lights look sic. im gonna get some for my 89 4runner

Originally Posted by Vato Loco
I bought the crystal clear headlights with an 8000k HID kit and no problems at all...never been flashed by anyone.

Nice ride.
Old 01-28-2014, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by shaeff
Hi, my name is Chris, and I'd like to inform you that you're dead wrong.

1) "eBay" projectors are good for nothing but looks. (and that's debatable!) They're built terribly, don't make full use of the bulb in the housing, and the "projector" part of it is an absolute joke.

2) 10000k? Seriously? That's about as much usable light as a keychain flashlight, not to mention it's PURPLE! For HID kits, the highest you want to go is 4300-5000k. That is the MOST usable light output. Why do you think that OEM manufacturers use 4300k? Because it's the best for USABLE light output!

3) ANY pNp HID kit, regardless of whether it's a hi/lo kit is garbage. Unless you're doing a proper retrofit, I can guarantee you it's junk. Trust me. Been there, done that, and "saw the light." Think about that as you're blinding every car of oncoming traffic, and burning out the retinas of those driving in front of you with your glaremonster headlights.

I'll tell ya what, if you're anywhere in the Hudson Valley in NY, I'll take you for a ride at night in my M3 with a PROPER TFX retrofit (FX35 bixenon projectors with TSX clear lenses) and Osram Nightbreaker +90 high beams) and if you're not 100% blown away, then you MUST be blind!

Seriously, lose the junk and do it right because it'll have much better output, and be much safer for everyone else on the road.

I mean no disrespect, so please take this post as constructive criticism from someone who's already made those mistakes with lighting. (Though, I did 6000k and the light output was still crap. Far too blue to be usable. 10000k is going to look plain stupid, and purple.)

Stop caring what all the "cool" kids on your block are doing, and make your headlights so you can actually see something with them. My car turns heads every time I flick on the headlights. They have 100% usable output, wickedly sharp cutoff, phenomenal high beams, and as a side bonus that I don't care about, they look cool.
Revived from the dead!!

I can vouche for this as well.. Gotta love the TSX projectors. One of the bests out there by far!!!

Ebay ones are just for looks and that purply HID is for looks/off road use... you cant even see with those things
Old 01-31-2014, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by frm_808
Revived from the dead!!

I can vouche for this as well.. Gotta love the TSX projectors. One of the bests out there by far!!!

Ebay ones are just for looks and that purply HID is for looks/off road use... you cant even see with those things
Yep, I love the TSX, but wanted high/low. I've had my FXr setup running for well over a year (maybe two?) and it's been amazing how much light they put out, especially compared to stock sealed beams.

I also love when someone with a cheap PnP kit is in front of me with a jersey barrier or wall on one side. You can see my bright white, straight as a razor cutoff blast right through their foggy, crap lighting reflecting against the wall. It gives me a chuckle.
Old 04-05-2019, 04:53 PM

Not sure if I can revive this thread or if I should be someplace else.
I've done my reading and know that the general consensus is to upgrade the wiring, or at least check voltage, and go halogen (Osram etc.).
However, I'm still intrigued by the HID option. With a good pattern, the output seems incomparable to halogens. For a few hundred bucks, I'd think it a no brainer for seeing what's in front of these rigs we've put so much time and effort into...
Does anyone have any suggestions for a nice, projector conversion kit?
What do you all think about this option? https://headlightrevolution.com/star...r-sealed-beam/