86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

HELP!!! Burnt Valve issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 11:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by goferris
i would love to do a swap but i just don't have the $$$ or the know how. now if there was someone nearby that could help me with it i would but i just don't have the tools or knowledge necessary.
i'm thinking about just replacing everything from the head up. seems to be the most cost effective right now. where would be the best place to get the parts from though? i found this on ebay. is there a better place i can get it for about the same price if not cheaper? would it be better to just do it myself? i'm very much a newb when it comes to motor work to be completely honest. i do have a haynes manual that i will be reading and browsing through so i can get a feel of the work ahead of me.

now just as an effort to save myself some unnecessary work, do think you guys if i ran some seafoam through it that it might help? also i don't have a check engine light on either. at this point i don't want to do all this work just to find out it was misdiagnosed. i do realize this is a common problem with this motor but still. i want to make sure all my other possibilities are ruled out b4 i do anything too drastic.
thanks again for all the help provided so far.
if you are worried about a mis-diagnosis, then you should probably double check your mechanic. This is why i never have anyone work on my S###t. I may not be able to do it as fast as a professional, but at least i can garauntee to myself that the best efforts were put forward at all times...

That being said, the harbor freight leak-down tester i'm buying today is $30. and then you just need to find a friend with an air compressor to use for a bit. Test your own rig (that doesn't take a whole lot of skill, assuming you know how to change a spark plug) at least that way you can confirm that the issue is what you think it is before rippin it apart and you will also learn more and build confidence at the same time.

look at it this way... it's already broken, so unless you strip out the block threads you're not gonna hurt it probably
Old 05-10-2008, 05:47 PM

is there anyone in utah that would be willing to help me out?
Old 05-11-2008, 09:10 PM

hey guys,
found this locally. just curious how much you think it will cost to get this up and running and installed in the car? i don't know too much about the swap. i know i'll need to do a body lift or cut a hole in the hood as well as mod the tach to get it to work. will i need a new tranny or will this just bolt up to the stock tranny?
if someone could lead me in the right direction i would appreciate it. i know the motor needs work but i don't think it will need much more work than the 3vze.
thanks guys
Old 05-12-2008, 03:22 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
hey guys,
found this locally. just curious how much you think it will cost to get this up and running and installed in the car? i don't know too much about the swap. i know i'll need to do a body lift or cut a hole in the hood as well as mod the tach to get it to work. will i need a new tranny or will this just bolt up to the stock tranny?
if someone could lead me in the right direction i would appreciate it. i know the motor needs work but i don't think it will need much more work than the 3vze.
thanks guys
Do you have a manual trans or auto?

Check here for a swap kit or just some good info:
http://www.offroadsolutions.com/technicalarticles.htm

Make sure you get the exact year of that motor and if possible the VIN # of the truck it came out of, you'll need it to find to correct ECU, sensors and do the wiring conversion.

Last edited by mt_goat; 05-12-2008 at 03:27 AM.
Old 05-12-2008, 03:46 AM

hey guys,
thanks guys
That engine looks good, but you will need to get a few more parts. Obviously, it'll need accessories that are missing, and the ECU. You have a 3.0, so your tranny should bolt up. If you can do the wiring changes required, you're left with getting the exhaust to dump on the passenger side, and about $300 worth of other parts needed for the swap. Or, you can buy the swap kit from ORS, but that's $$$.
Old 05-12-2008, 02:08 PM

i have a manual tranny. i'll look more into it. i'm still just kinda looking into my options to see what i can do.
now does anyone know if the 89 pickups have a check engine light? if it should have one shouldn't it be on if i have a burnt valve?
thanks guys. you really are a huge help.
Old 05-13-2008, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by mt_goat
Cool, please do a swap thread on that!
I am not doing the work, but I will provide the specifics as to what I purchased, what will be installed, and anything else that anyone might be interested.
Old 05-13-2008, 04:14 PM

i have a manual tranny. i'll look more into it. i'm still just kinda looking into my options to see what i can do.
now does anyone know if the 89 pickups have a check engine light? if it should have one shouldn't it be on if i have a burnt valve?
thanks guys. you really are a huge help.
Turn the key to the ON position, not accessory, but dont start the truck. Doing that should turn on your check engine light. If you dont see it come on the previous owner might have taken the bulb out or cut the wire. A burnt valve will not necessarily turn on the check eng light. The pre-OBD2 stuff like that can be kinda stubborn on turning on the check light sometimes.
Old 05-13-2008, 05:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As usual, too much diversion from the true problem. Have a shop perform a compression check on each cylinder. If one or two are low, then off comes the heads. Take them to a auto machine shop complete. They will repair the heads and set your valve clearances by grinding the valve stem ends. No shim problems. From the shop they will be ready to install. Work with Enginebuilder to get parts. Use his guidance on new parts. Mark every item disconnected and take a ton of digital pictures. Search this site to find teardowns and work on 3VZ motors. You can do it. We can help you. Cost to you less than $500. Will take you a week working each evening and all weekend. Your labor is free.

Get busy.