Originally Posted by dub tek
Using a stand alone engine managment systems
this is how you run charge air ANTI-LAG
AKA....boost @ idle with no load
its the in a street car.........
and your turbo will last for longer this way
Old 03-02-2009, 06:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, first of all yes it was dark at the gas station, you wouldn't be able to see it glowing in the day, it is getting good oil and coolant flow, I have no cat, and its not a ct20 its a T3. Whew, that was a lot of questions. So what I'm really trying to figure out here is if somebody with a turbo could go drive around at night, stop, let it idle for a couple of minutes and see if it slightly glows red. There is a picture of the turbo glowing on the RTE-Trucks web site under general discussion if you want to see.
Old 03-05-2009, 12:35 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 88alltrac
yea the water directly cools the turbos.
so the 22rte uses the ct20? interesting. so does my car. makes sense i guess. it shouldnt glow red just idling but if you where driving it fairly hard then keep it running it will stay hot for a while.
what is your oil pressure like? are the coolant lines connected?
Not, I don't think your car does. the 3S-GTE on the ST165 uses a CT26 (unless they were different on the 165 vs 185), much like the 7M-GTE. It just has a smaller compressor wheel than the Supra's CT26. I can't remember if the 165 had the divided exhaust housing, but the ST185 definitely did.

There are actually a few Toyota turbos named CT20. The CT20 on the 22R-TE is the same (or very similar to) the turbocharger on the 3T-GTE, as well as the 2L-T. There's also the Toyota Aristo 2JZ-GTE which runs a pair of CT20 turbos (obviously different). I believe the later single turbo 1JZ-GTE (As opposed to the twin turbo 1JZ-GTE) motors had a turbo named the CT20 as well. I think some of the MR2 3S-GTE motors had a "CT20" of some sorts on them.

Just to add to the confusion, Toyota also has 3 different CT12 turbos. 1G-GTE, 1JZ-GTE (unofficially called the CT12A), and 2JZ-GTE (USDM, officially a CT12B)
Old 03-05-2009, 03:57 AM

ah yes you are correct. yes some of the mr2's have a ct20b. they are very similar to the ct26 though.
Old 03-05-2009, 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by BoostedRNR
Ok, first of all yes it was dark at the gas station, you wouldn't be able to see it glowing in the day, it is getting good oil and coolant flow, I have no cat, and its not a ct20 its a T3. Whew, that was a lot of questions. So what I'm really trying to figure out here is if somebody with a turbo could go drive around at night, stop, let it idle for a couple of minutes and see if it slightly glows red. There is a picture of the turbo glowing on the RTE-Trucks web site under general discussion if you want to see.
I'll try to take a look at mine tonight and see. Maybe if I have time I'll pull a steep grade and see what happens too. I've never noticed mine do that, but I've never looked for it either.
Old 03-05-2009, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by DIRTCO
I'll try to take a look at mine tonight and see. Maybe if I have time I'll pull a steep grade and see what happens too. I've never noticed mine do that, but I've never looked for it either.
that is what i was trying to say. my dirt bike sitting in the garage when it is dark, ie poorly lit, the header glows at idle, not a lot but some. when you rev it up it starts to glow but as soon as you start to move the air blows across it and it returns to a proper color. in the daylight there is no sign of it at all.
Old 03-05-2009, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by Alex 400
that is what i was trying to say. my dirt bike sitting in the garage when it is dark, ie poorly lit, the header glows at idle, not a lot but some. when you rev it up it starts to glow but as soon as you start to move the air blows across it and it returns to a proper color. in the daylight there is no sign of it at all.
My buddy's yfz450 did the same.... My Thunderbird turbo coupe would glow at night too that was an IHI turbo
Old 03-05-2009, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by BoostedRNR
If you don't hear from dirtco I can take my 4Runner for a night run and see what color the turbo is.
Old 03-05-2009, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by Skinsfan6
If you don't hear from dirtco I can take my 4Runner for a night run and see what color the turbo is.
It's the same thing if your truck has been working hard at low speed and you jump out and look at the cat, it is a little orange.
Old 03-05-2009, 11:52 AM

Thanks you guys!!!! I have lots of dirt bikes and I know the headers on them glow at night, but thats really thin titanium. I'm saving up to get an EGT gauge to finish up my pillar but its not happening as fast as I would like. Hey Dirtco, I have a few questions on how your cooling lines are ran to your turbo. Somebody did some stupid stuff to mine before I bought it and now the line coming out of the heater core is feeding into my turbo and returning from the turbo into the lower hose that I think connects the water pump and the block, so I have to have my heater in the hot position all the time for flowage and its starting to get old. I'm waiting on my FSM to get here but I was wondering how yours is ran. I do have a turbo radiator so I don't know why everything got re-routed
Old 03-05-2009, 11:57 AM

I got bored so I decided to post the picture that I have on the other site here cuz I'm getting alot more feedback here.
Old 03-05-2009, 06:16 PM

Yep, mine does it too!

I started my drive on the highway, pretty much flat, cruising at 55 with the overdrive off. I went about 3-4 miles, then turned on to a side road road that has a pretty steep grade and went up that road for about 1-2 miles, at the top it levels out and I went another half mile or so and pulled off the road. I wasn't pushing it very hard, but I did have it spooled up the entire time up the hill. I turned off my lights and looked at the turbo, it was cherry red. Not as bright as that one picture of the race engine, but a lot hotter than yours.

On the way home I took it easy and drove normally, a little bit of boost when needed, but not too much. Once I got home I checked it again and it was still red but not as bright, pretty much how your looked just a faint glow.

Here's some other info that might be helpful:

I live at 9000' and the 4Runner has a stock CT-20 turbo running stock boost (as far as I know). My timing is set at 8* advanced and I have a MSD 6A box along with wires and coil. I don't have any gauges, but after reading this I plan on getting some soon.

Last edited by DIRTCO; 03-05-2009 at 07:08 PM.
Old 03-05-2009, 07:40 PM

I drove mine tonight and while it was a very faint red, it wasn't bright at all. Even in complete darkness. I ran the piss out of it too for the 10 minute drive home. However, I have a few different factors.
- I'm at sea level, which I'm sure has a huge impact.
- I have a 3" body lift, an electric fan setup, and I'm missing my fender to frame mud guards/flaps. So there is a lot of air moving past my turbo. That may or may not have a substantial effect on its cooling.
- My turbo setup and motor is completely stock. Stock boost. Stock timing (whatever that may be, I've never messed with it). Stock coil and ignition setup.

I'm assuming all of these things would aid in keeping the turbo cooler than in yall's cases, substantial or not. But I would think the elevation and inclines have the largest impact on yours.
Old 03-05-2009, 08:14 PM

You guys kick ass!!! Thanks again for the help. Now I won't stress about starting on fire or something. I might be getting in touch with you dirtco about some questions on my tranny this weekend if I can't figure it out myself. I'm almost ready to do a manual swap, but I really don't want to go that rout