Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Front Diff seal replacement while in truck?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 01:23 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
yeah, it happens. seals are one of those things that if you don't get it in perfectly straight, it gets compromised. it wouldn't be loose on the carrier end of the axle because you'd most likely have to wear off all the splines for that end to give some play, and then it wouldn't even turn - so that would leave the bearings right inside of that seal you're replacing to be a potentially worn part. failure of this bearing could have been the cause of your seal going out.

here's a good diagram

if it were me i'd just pull that diff out and address the issue or swap it for another. i've had to pull mine several times and can easily get it out solo in a good amt of time. getting it back in is different though but i've done it solo twice now with some juggling of hands, feet, and floor jack.

as for that trailer being pulled by a 4runner...you might still think bigger than that. 4runner only weights a tad more than 4000#, so technically isn't the safest vehicle for stopping all that weight even if it can pull it. some family friends of our have a good size travel trailer around the weight of yours and they used to pull it with an 05, V8 4runner and it supposedly can tow around 6000#, but they said it was sketch especially in the hills...so they went and got a tundra to haul it.

Last edited by highonpottery; 11-10-2010 at 01:28 PM.
Old 11-12-2010, 11:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Towing 3500# with q 4Runner

Yo Highonpottery:

Regarding the excess vertical play in my passenger side stub axle, I believe you are correct about the problem being failure of the outer bering causing the seal (and replacement) to not do get the job done. Interesting there is no howling or noise from the diff. Not too keen on going through the exercise of pulling and reinstalling a replacement diff, so will probably just watch the gear oil level and not park over anything I might mess up :-(.

Thanks for your advice on towing 3500# with a 4Runner. Just dislike buying a large SUV/PU that will be driven regularly (and eating fuel) w/o the trailer. Wonder how many folks have eaten those same words after being pulled out of a ditch when braking was inadequate :-(.

BTW, always looking for opportiunities to get high...how is it done on pottery :-) ?

Thanks again.