Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Figure this one out Guys! Noise issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 12:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is there any possible way you could rig up a mic for sound and record the whirling noise as you drive? This is very intriguing but is very hard to diagnose without listening to it.
Old 12-13-2011, 05:38 PM

Hey guys, I got the front drivers wheel off (the one giving off the metallic sounds), and found this:

It looks like the tab(s) were bent forward and scratching the disk brake. I bent the tabs back then put the wheel back on the truck and spun it and it sounds smooth. I then took the truck out for a ride and heard the whirling noise still ( I didn't really expect it to go away).

I kind of have a hunch that it is my wheel bearings making the noise still though so tomorrow I am going to take off the cap from the hub and check the bearings to see if they need to be repacked. If they look ok then I will just have to start replacing u joints.

Here is a video I took immediately after putting the wheel back on the truck after bending the screech tabs back. This is the noise I have been hearing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsXOhJ3B6p0

Last edited by LittleRedDevil; 12-15-2011 at 10:25 AM.
Old 12-14-2011, 09:16 PM

Thank you for the video, I may have an answer for you soon. It sounds like gears singing though. Do you know if the clutch was replaced before you bought it or did this start after you bought the truck?

Last edited by bassbro1; 12-14-2011 at 09:32 PM.
Old 12-14-2011, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by LittleRedDevil

So just to clear things up: I have a whirling noise coming from the transmission/transfer area, the noise is constant when above about 25 - 30km/h, constant if clutch in or out, constant with shifting gears, constant in neutral as long as vehicle is about 25km/h, BUT the noise will deaden if the truck is put in 4WD in city, will disappear if driven a substantial distance at highway speed in 4WD and will not reappear even with city driving regardless if in 2WD or 4WD maybe for hours or up until it is parked and driven again.

Cheers.
A constant whirring/whining no matter what gear or above 25km/h if you think about it would be bearings. Now whether they are wheel bearings, internal transmission/transfer case bearings, or pinion bearings is up to the visual inspection. I hope for your sake that it is just wheel bearings. Now for a shot in the dark: Exhaust MAY also make a bearing/gear whine type noise. Check that the exhaust isn't hitting the chassis.

Good luck and Merry Christmas
Old 12-15-2011, 06:56 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by DIRT CLOD
U joint... replace em all.... probably could use them anyway... but I would bet a its a U joint
X2!! or at least put some lube to'em :-)
Old 12-15-2011, 10:36 AM

Like I said before I greased all of the u joints, twice in the last few months and they didn't take much grease. Driveshafts are nice and tight. I tried to take off the hub yesterday and couldn't. There are two threaded holes on the hub, you can see one between 9 and 11 o'clock in this picture.

Are they to thread bolts into to loosen off the hub? Or am I going to have to use a chisel to loosen the cone washers?

Note: this is before I had taken off the six nuts.

Last edited by LittleRedDevil; 12-15-2011 at 10:37 AM.
Old 12-15-2011, 11:05 AM

No, just take the nuts off, and you will probably have to take off the center grease cap. Once the six nuts are taken off, you will have to pull a cotter key/pin and take off the nut, and then you will come to snap rings, springs, washers, etc. The holes are there in case you need to put a puller on. use a rubber mallet and screwdriver to take off the center cone, undo the six nuts, and yes you can use bolts to thread into the holes to get the cap off if needed. DON'T use a chisel!!!! Chisels damage, oh, and take your time and don't force things.

Last edited by bassbro1; 12-15-2011 at 11:14 AM.
Old 12-16-2011, 12:22 PM

Hey! So I have another question. I got the cone washers out by hitting the outside of the hub with a hammer, opened up the hub and got to the huge(54mm???) nut. Everything looks good and greased until there, but I am wondering, without the hub on is the drive shaft supposed to be able to move up, down, and sideways like this? Just to make it clear I have A.D.D NOT manual locking hubs. So until I have the right size socket I won't be able to look at my wheel bearings (that is a 54 mm nut right?).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkmAL-VWA9Y

Cheers.

P.s., I only checked the drivers side front, I need to get that socket first, and I wanted to know if the DS should be moving this much before I checked the others.

Last edited by LittleRedDevil; 12-16-2011 at 08:42 PM.
Old 12-16-2011, 12:47 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Yes, that play in the axle is normal. It would be a good time now to grease the spindle bushings. Search for it here, there is a lot of dicussion on that topic. That might be your problem.

I would also check the back side bearings too. Will have to hang the calipers and take off the rotors, but not a big deal. Good time to grease them if there not heat distorted in any way.
Old 12-17-2011, 01:22 AM

x2 on the play. I would consider it borderline though. You don't need a socket to take it off. You can use adjustable pliers or adjustable wrench. A lot of times you are able to take off with your fingers.
Old 12-22-2011, 10:54 AM

So I have a bit of an update, My front wheel bearings look good. I jacked up the rear end of the truck and began to run it through gears. I need to put a new carrier bearing on and kind of thought that that might be the noise that I was hearing, the carrier is making a bit of noise but a person has to listen really closely while under the truck with it in gear. I ran the truck through 1st, 2nd, 3rd - started hearing the noise, and 4th - boom! I got it, a really nasty sound coming from the transmission. It's definitely a bearing gone in there, I drove it one more time after that and it didn't seem to be shifting nice, and when I would let out the clutch, the pedal would come out 3/4 of the way and stick the last 1/4 and then pop out. So needless to say I booked it into a tranny shop and am NOT driving it until then. I'll give another update when I know what is wrong with it.

Luckily my truck came with a really comprehensive maintenance history, you can see that in 2008 the clutch assembly was taken care of.. And yes, my clutch master cylinder is full.
Old 12-23-2011, 11:53 AM

I'm sorry to hear that, but i am glad to hear you found the problem.

Merry Christmas (in a sense)