Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Is engnbldr.com worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 12:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
22reperformance.com /putney's is a great place. that is where i got all my rocker stuff and little nick nacks. plugs wires and crap... great company! if i were to get a fully done motor i would go though them before LCE.
Old 09-15-2011, 01:00 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob_T
One comment on buying OEM parts. A lot of the engine accessories like clutches, timing components and water pump were made by Aisin. You can get the same OEM Aisin parts from online vendors and local parts houses for less than the dealer charges. Unless maybe you have a super special discount deal at the dealer.
I have both, .... "REALLY GOOD" deal from the Dealer and "GREAT" deal from many of the sites I've used, including dealerdirectparts.com and toyotapartsonly.com or is it toyotapartszone.com? lol.

Originally Posted by 4x4climber
22reperformance.com /putney's is a great place. that is where i got all my rocker stuff and little nick nacks. plugs wires and crap... great company! if i were to get a fully done motor i would go though them before LCE.
I almost did, lol.... but decided to try doing it myself, this time, with a lil some help from a NEW machinst, lol... Working so far!
Old 09-15-2011, 01:27 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Well let me tell you...I did go through Putney's/22repreformance and the motors rock. Tons of power and the thing is so quite for a 22re.

I had Jim find me a block that did not need any boring so I could run all factory OEM pistons, bearings, etc. etc. The entire bottom end is all factory parts and I have no doubt this motor will last as long as the last one did - a long time. Yea, it cost more, but over the long run it's cheaper than putting 2 rebuilt motors in. Jim informed me that if he was putting something in his truck, this is the only way to build a bottom end FWIW. Heads are different, though, lots of good tech these days to make them powerful and strong.

My head is one of their preformance heads though, so we will see how it stands the test of time. Now you know why I am an OEM whore, nobody makes a quality part like Toyota.

Here is a link to the thread when I put the motor in

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...nstall-223908/

Chef - Interested to know what Jim (Putney's) said about his techniques vs others like Engbuilder and LCE? Can you expand a little more
Old 09-15-2011, 02:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
We we get this thread stickied for the nOoBz
Old 09-15-2011, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Bob_T
This can get confusing. Most of the negative experiences in the above thread were about Oregon Engine Builders in Sandy, Oregon. The vendor we are talking about here in this thread is Engnbldr.com in Portland, Oregon. I don't know for sure but I don't think the two businesses are related.

Bob
I stand pleasantly Corrected.
Old 09-15-2011, 08:54 PM
Contributing Member

I've ordered parts from him for my 22re in the truck and will be ordering parts from him if/when I tear into the 22re in the 4runner.

Fast shipping (i got my parts 2 days after ordering), great customer service, if you need any help, its a phone call away, and isn't Willamette valley just a jump away from his shop? If so, why not just slide in and check them out in person?
Old 09-16-2011, 01:19 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by toyota4x4907
The only thing I have seen is a small problem with the oil pump and/or timing cover casting. Not sure if it got resolved or what happened with it.
I have bought a ton of stuff from EB. The only issue I ever had was the rock auto oil pump leaking. I yanked two off the same rig within 3 months. EB sent me a new one right away. Ted and Tod are great when it comes to ANY advice or help. I HIGHLY recommend EB!
Old 09-20-2011, 07:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GenXr... I wanna emphasize something you said a bit.

Engnbldr Parts AND Service are both BETTER than anything you will get from a local auto parts store. And better prices by far.
Thanks 'climber. I think it says a lot about a business in how well they treat POTENTIAL customers. I'll admit, I appreciate a little hand holding before I spend a lot of money. I wish I had listened closer to him. He told me it wasn't necessary to buy ARP head studs but that the head bolts in his kit were sufficient. He tried to save me money, but I just wouldn't listen...so now I'm a couple hundred dollars poorer and have internal engine parts nobody sees but that I can brag about on the internet.

I can honestly say I've only met a few sales people who ever encouraged me to NOT spend money unnecessarily. They have me as their customer for life.
Old 10-12-2011, 05:02 AM

This is great guys. Thank you for posting all of your opinions and knowledge.

"On the other hand, trying searching for DOA Racing. i doubt you'll get the same warm fuzzy. What's next? A thread doubting how bad DOA Racing is?"
^^^^^No lol, I'm not about to start passing judgement on a company's product without any prior knowledge....but I will say DAMN those are nice engines.

OKAY, I have been exchanging e-mails with Ted since last week mostly of me asking his opinion on cam profiles and what not. Without knowing the man or his work what so ever beyond the opinions of others I can say that his strive to make a successful business is strong.
My opinion of his customer service is very good. He was quick about responding to my emails and made a dash for brass tax. In order to assist me with making the proper selection he asked direct questions regarding the attended application for my rig. "I will mostly be a weekend worrier" meaning that my rig will be used primarily as a daily driver and secondly a trail rig in non-extreme climates. That and my intended tire size and installed gears was enough for him to suggest a 268 CAM with the explanation that the 261 will have a powerband close to the lower end better used for slow climbing and muding applications. And the opposite to this would be the 270/430 which has a powerband strongest in the higher rpm's.

Anyways I have decided to make the purchase for a stock head with all the fixings minus the rocker assembly which I will have serviced locally. I should be picking up the part before weeks end. I feel excited to hear my engine run once again!
Old 10-12-2011, 05:36 AM

Sweet! Take pictures!
Old 10-12-2011, 07:47 AM

Oh yeah you know it I got a bunch of pics following the whole rebuild from start to finish. I was going make a long drawn out thread of my rebuild but there are so many out there that get lost....people stop working on the project or just skip a bunch. I figured I would keep documenting it until its running, then put it together in a nice short thread with lots of pics and a few videos.
Old 10-12-2011, 07:51 AM

Yeah, I need to get on that too. SOOO many pics and vids and stuff... I just haven't had the time to start my build thread. Truck is still a "project" but it gets used everyday and is already running and off-crawling. LoL

Can't wait to see yours. I always like reading thru new build threads. Gives me something to do when I am wide awake at night unable to sleep cuz of my back and neck. =D
Old 10-12-2011, 07:57 AM

I used engnbldr for my 22r rebuild. I had the machine work done locally, then ordered a master rebuild kit from engnbldr. I'm extremely happy with how my engine turned out, and would recommend engnbldr for you parts.
Old 10-12-2011, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by yotarover
We we get this thread stickied for the nOoBz
I could not AGREE MORE! If I were building a very fast high powered 2 wheel drive rig I would look elsewhere for performance parts and complete crate engines from some of the other dealers/shops mentioned by my peers. BUT! That is not to say in the least that ENGNBLDR.COM is a "specialized" company focused on one customer preference. The assembly's they offer range from the mudders and climbers too the gogogo fast performance based rigs.

In my case I just want my daily driver/weekend worrier running again, ready for a excursion through the vast BLM logging roads of Oregon. For me power and speed are all secondary to reliability and value.

Thanks again everyone who gave me their feedback I want to apologize for abandoning this thread for a while there, most all of you shared great information and insight. Just proves the value of this website and community.

Special Thanks: ChefYota4x4 for welcoming me to the team. Survival is in the numbers.

Last edited by MYTOYOTA; 10-12-2011 at 08:12 AM.
Old 10-12-2011, 08:09 AM

Yeah, I need to get on that too. SOOO many pics and vids and stuff... I just haven't had the time to start my build thread. Truck is still a "project" but it gets used everyday and is already running and off-crawling. LoL

Can't wait to see yours. I always like reading thru new build threads. Gives me something to do when I am wide awake at night unable to sleep cuz of my back and neck. =D

Oh yeah I hear ya. I get from work about 3:30am. I usually end up bringing some of my work home in the form of pain lol. YotaTech is as good as NyQuil and that's a good thing for me.