Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Emissions Missions!

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 07:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, I have a lot of of fluid coming out the tail pipe. makes a big mess in the garage, even just idling. if I rev it I got a spray 4feet out... You believe this is misture that has been sitting in the tank, and not getting burned before?

Also, on the Injector story, would not a reading of 14.4 Ohm, mean a faulty injector? Two reads to spec, two reads out by 0,2 Ohm only, but if this can cause the running rich, that would make sense to me..

I used the seafoam as instructed, more or less, depends a bit who you listen to with that product it seems. But it's been through, and she runns great, at all speeds, rpm's, gears and temperatures.

Temp is bang on in the middle of the gauge
Oil is now middle of the two first lines

The cat is pretty far bak into the exhaust, just because the O2 sensor is where it is. I understand the cat would have preffered to be closer to the combustion, to sit on a higher operating temperature. Suppose not getting as hot as it could would mean insufficient cat operation?

So can it be assumed that between a leaky injector or two, and a cat that runs to cold, I would fail emissions?

Last edited by 4Reigner; 01-08-2010 at 08:40 AM.
Old 01-08-2010, 06:54 PM

I cant help you with the seafoam.I have never used it.No I do not believe that this is an unburned mixture,just a waste of money.Injectors get dirty on the tips.You cant tell if they are dirty with an ohmmeter,only if they have correct resistance.Unless you have moved the converter,I doubt that its not getting hot enough.It should be between 500 to 800 degrees at operating temp.A leaky injector can make you run rich,along with the other things I have told you.
Old 01-08-2010, 07:11 PM

[QUOTE=rangerruck;51327933]"I don't wanna get into all of it, by higher heat through the exhaust can elevate temps to the cat, which when put through all the crap in the cat, can raise the readings of the nox , and hydro's."

I dont know how to respond to this.I dont even understand it.If you think seafoam is somehow raising your exhaust temp,your incorrect.I dont understand how anything in the converter can raise the readings of NOx and hydros{?}.Perhaps my instructor was drunk that day,or maybe I was napping in class.But I'm pretty sure NOx is only formed in the combustion chamber at temps of 2500 degrees or greater,and h/c's{hydros} are still unburned fuel.I dont think the cat can produce either of those,even when we add a magic fluid like isoprop alcohol.Which would never make it out of the combustion chamber,but if it did would be vaporized by the heat of the converter.Seafoam is a top end cleaner.Im glad you like it,but it doesnt clean your converter.Or your hard drive,laundry,etc.
Old 01-08-2010, 07:48 PM

4reigner; if you have liquid spraying out of your tailpipe, I have to say, you have something really wrong going on in there!!!! It def sounds like you have unburnt fuel coming out the end; have you tried to wipe some of it up with a paper towel, and seeing if it has a color or smell? If it is a spray, and not so much globs, then I would say it sound like unburnt fuel, and then I would say at a minimum, you have a fuel injector prob, but there are other dudes here, who are far more knowledgeable than I who could tell you that. Your case just sounds so extreme though...
Old 01-08-2010, 07:57 PM

" I dont know how to respond to this.I dont even understand it.If you think seafoam is somehow raising your exhaust temp,your incorrect.I dont understand how anything in the converter can raise the readings of NOx and hydros{?}.Perhaps my instructor was drunk that day,or maybe I was napping in class.But I'm pretty sure NOx is only formed in the combustion chamber at temps of 2500 degrees or greater,and h/c's{hydros} are still unburned "

Dude, you are 100% right on both of these above, and if you have unburnt fuel, and a bunch of other crap in your cat, and because of one reason or another, your exhaust temps get really high, and it raises the cooking temps of your cat,
well then, you should be able to see then, how then the stuff that is in your cat, and you start cooking it really good, can start elevating readings of both nox and hydros, just from elevating the temp by a lot, going into your cat.

And no, I am not saying that Seafoam does this, I am saying that seafoam fumes or whatever is left of it, is still active, and with 2 treatments in a row, does do a bit of a job, in cleaning some , most, or all, depending on your rig, of that crap out of your cat. I have seen it happen with crud and goo and water coming out of the pipe on my yota, and on my caprice, from one test, which was right on the border, i watched the next test done, and saw the hydros and nox reading drop dramatically, in particular during the hi rev part of the test, which is the part which usually busts you on your CAT, if it is clogged, overheating, full of doodie, or is about to give out on you...
Old 01-08-2010, 08:24 PM

Alright!
Seafoam wne in, and out, and despite 341 000 Km, this truck runs, and pretty good at that! I got my hair blown back proper today, 2700 at 90 km/h , quiet, smooth and responsive.
For an old engine like that, fantastic! I have full service history, and it's been crashed, rebuildt and tarted up, but still doing good.
I believe the seafoam did good.

Now for the fluids:

Wet and black. Does not smell like fuel. Has no colour. Makes a mess.Do not believe it's fuel, at least not straight up 87. No coolant loss.
Rains a lot over here in the north west, but I guess thats not it!
Old 01-09-2010, 05:56 AM

Okay, I am really at a loss here, but there is only a couple of liquids it could be; oil, fuel, or water- water from your cooling system, or if if you have water in your CAT/pipe from rain or high water. I don't believe it could be anything
else. So I am leaning towards either fuel not burned up, or water from your cooling system...
I hope someone else comes along with a better idea than I...from that picture of black crud,
I would have to say it is either oil that is not burning, or some combination of liquid, combined with
pulling some absolute crud out of your CAT...
You might wanna pull your sparkplugs out, and see if it looks like your are burning up oil or other
crud, all around them.

Last edited by rangerruck; 01-09-2010 at 06:00 AM.
Old 01-09-2010, 07:56 AM

Well, the colour of the liquid may come from the exhaust, being black from running rich. unburnt petrol would still smell of petrol?
The plugs have been nice and clean the whole time I owned her, slightly white in the beginnging, slightly yellow now right before i changed them. The white stems from what i think was an intake manifold leak, fixed. The yellow is heat, from seafoam, i presume-fixed. plugs are brand new and wont tell a story for a while yet.
I'll yank the fuel rail in a bit and check the injetors, if thats the cause of running rich, it would make sense with the fluids out the tailpipe,the position of the idle screw, the failed emissions and the fuel consumption.
Thank you!
Old 01-09-2010, 06:37 PM

WEre your plugs more like pics 1 and 2 here, or more like pics 7 through 10?

1 and 2 is fine, 7 through 10 is not!!
Old 01-14-2010, 03:15 PM

So i've tested the vehicle again, with new plugs, oil change, fresh petrol and new rebuildt injectors.
After i installed the new injectors,i have had the battery disconected, so the computer should be relarned.
The new injectors made things run pretty good, the rubber on them were shot. Readjusted the idle screw and tps to match the (hopefully) lesser fuel volume.

I went back to Aircare, and my results are worse than ever!!! How is this possible?

What i noticed, is that the guy ran the truck at 40 km/h,as he is supposed to, but in second gear. This leaves it running at 2700 rpm's, and surely this is not good for emissions?
On the road, 40km/h in second leaves me 2700 at least. I believe i would have changed to 3 if i were going straight ahead for any more than a very small while.

At some point, this is getting too silly, the list of changed parts and repairs is getting too long..

I also tested the vehicle before the injectors, numbers are as follows:

-----Aim------before injectors-------after
HC:141---------143-----------------173
CO:0.69---------0.94---------------1.11

Idle
HC: 215---------170---------------155
CO:1.64---------2.47--------------2.89
Old 01-14-2010, 06:20 PM

are you still spraying out liquid? If so, it is proly coming from the engine, if not that, then it is coming from your cat, period, no other possibility.
Old 01-14-2010, 07:30 PM

The liquid is only there when it's cold.
The emissions may or may not have anything to do with it.
You know how the emissions would behave depending on rpm's?
I might need to go get the cat examined then, AFAIK the injection end of things should be good.

What does an exhaust leak do to the o2 sensors performance? I have a small leak by the manifold, and one little one where the cat is welded in, one just after the join. would this confuse the signal the o2 sends?
Old 01-14-2010, 08:21 PM

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
I thought at start up when cold, combustion produces condensation? Can you jb weld the leak.
Old 01-14-2010, 08:57 PM

I'll get the knuckledragger who welded it in to finish the job.
The Jb pages says the temp is too hot for their product, but i got some other jobs for jb weld though!
how muh would three very small holes offset the o2 sensor?
Old 01-15-2010, 06:20 AM

from what I understand, exhaust leaks raise temps; but since this is allready on the exhaust side, this is going to affect the heat going into the CAT, and once your cat starts cooking really hot, it deff changes readings of the diff materials being blown out the back.
Old 03-03-2010, 10:02 PM

Solved!!

Found an exhaust leak on top of the exhaust, behind the O2 sensor. This is the cause of it running rich, and would be one of the reasons to fail.
Also my oil pump crapped out, and with a new oil pump, the timingchain tensioner is doing it's job again. This makes the timing easier to set, without the timing mark jumping all over thje place... and with the timing set properly, I passed emissions!!

Happy days!
Old 03-06-2010, 10:25 AM

Ahh, this explains the blowing out of the stuff from the pipe... good catch!!!