Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Drivers side power window issue in 91 4 runner sr5 4x4 4door.

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2009, 11:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Drivers side power window issue in 91 4 runner sr5 4x4 4door.

Looked all through the forums and didn't find what I needed so here it goes for all you knowledgable people out there. My Drivers side front window was making grinding sounds when going up and I had to pull on it to help it go up correctly. Pulled the door pannel off and teeth looked fine (large semi-circle thingy Lol) so I put it all back together. All worked fine till yesterday when it stopped. Just clicks now. All other windows work fine (Power mirrors don't, but that's a different issue). Thinking motor is probably bad. Napa has a replacement motor for $61.50 if I bring in the old motor. Want opinions on if this is the prob before I go buy a new one. Also, after getting the pannel off again, I see 4 bolts where the motor mechanism is. Not sure how to remove it and don't want to make things worse. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Troy
Old 05-23-2009, 12:57 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
The door disassembly is really easy. I had gutted a set of power doors and sold the inners to my buddy.

To remove the motor, just ulbolt the 4bolts and pull it out. Its tight, but just work slow and steady. To put it back in, it really helps to have another set of hands holding the window in place so you can line up the bolt holes.

I would suggest you appy direct 12v power to the motor to see if its the motor or the wiring.

I would also suggest you buy a used toyota Power window motor. You can get one from any door from any 90-95 4runner with power windows.

Also, the power mirrors only have two wires, so if you want to troubleshoot those....

Last edited by Jay351; 05-23-2009 at 01:36 PM.
Old 05-23-2009, 01:28 PM

Thanks a lot. Was worried that the whole window, track and all would come crashing down if I just unbolted all 4. Will check around for the power mirror assembly at salvage yards around here. Any idea what they might run? And thanks for the info on the years.
Old 05-23-2009, 01:36 PM
Contributing Member

Yeah, just make sure the window is at the bottom. And then have had it. It might take a few mins to figure out how to pull it out of the door but its not bad. If you need extra room, removing the window is pretty easy (two bolts, bring window out towards the outside of the door).

A used motor shouldnt be more then $25 or so. Any door motor will work (even a rear motor, but don't buy one, they are usually worked hard), but just so you know, they are all the same.

Have you checked the small wiring to the power mirrors, aswell as the switch? These things are really simple once you tear them apart.
Old 05-24-2009, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by Jay351
Yeah, just make sure the window is at the bottom. And then have had it. It might take a few mins to figure out how to pull it out of the door but its not bad. If you need extra room, removing the window is pretty easy (two bolts, bring window out towards the outside of the door).

Lol. I took those 4 bolts out thinkin I would just get the motor and the whole thing was commin apart. I see 2 more bolts that look like I need to take off too. Didn't know the window would go too ;o) 2 bolts on guide rail of window (the thing holding window on bottom) Do I need to loosen those and get the glass out? Sorry, don't know a lot about this stuff.

A used motor shouldnt be more then $25 or so. Any door motor will work (even a rear motor, but don't buy one, they are usually worked hard), but just so you know, they are all the same.

Thanks. Checkin on yards today to see if I can find one.

Have you checked the small wiring to the power mirrors, aswell as the switch? These things are really simple once you tear them apart.
Yuppers. A little corrosion on the connections, but other than that, it's all good. Wires intact with no fraying.

Thanks for all your help.
Old 05-24-2009, 10:42 AM
Contributing Member

It feels like everything is apart, but just the motor is loose. There are only those two bolts on the track that keep the window in if I remember correctly. Then it should lift right out. Remember, it comes out towards the outside of the door (because of the bend in the glass)

I remember it being pretty simple, but perhaps that was becase I had the doors off, in my garage