Browse all: Lighting Guide
Print Wikipost

Custom LED Turn signals in Corner lights

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2016, 06:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OEM Toyota Blinker Relay Modification for LEDs

Originally Posted by RAD4Runner
Have you found more inf on hacking the stock blinker relay to work with LED's?
Please, pretty please
RAD4Runner.... look at my build thread, I did it with detailed pictures.

I particularly have issues with my rear turn signals when my running lights are on. The rear running lights blink as well when I throw a signal on (both running lights) since I have installed the converter box to hook up a flat 4 connection trailer connector. THAT is what I'm looking for help on.
Old 01-05-2016, 10:43 AM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Originally Posted by paynemw
RAD4Runner.... look at my build thread, I did it with detailed pictures.
SUWEET! Thanks, Matty P! Found it and saved as PDF

... The rear running lights blink as well when I throw a signal on (both running lights) since I have installed the converter box to hook up a flat 4 connection trailer connector...
Running lights should have steady positive 12V from tail light relay and steady ground to the body (white wire with black stripe). Something is interrupting either of the above.

When you installed the converter box, did it involve cutting either positive or negative wire? Did you use vampire taps? Those SUCK! It could have severed the stock wiring. That could either interrupt +12V or gnd, OR because the wire's too thin now, cause voltage drop when blinkers draw current through it; less power goes to your running lights. IF blinkers are standard incandescents they would draw more current than your running lights. The thin wires could overheat and cause you more problems later on.
I never use vampire taps. I prefer to carefully strip stock wire, make several wraps around that with the tap wire, solder and insulate.
Cheers!
Old 01-11-2016, 12:45 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Please, pretty please
I did this mod on my 86 4runner, here's another pic of the resistor that needs to be removed.

Name:  3e71d290-033c-4f6c-82a9-e4a7c637d265_zpsvs7qabbk.jpg
Views: 1834
Size:  289.1 KB

The only drawback to this mod is if you are still using your factory turn signal bulbs up front or in the rear tail lights, you have basically removed the low voltage detection circuit (for lack of a better term) from the flasher, so if one of your factory turn signal bulbs burn out, you won't have the fast blinker to warn you that the bulb needs replacing. This wasn't really a concern to me and I ran this mod for 4yrs on my 86 without any issues, I just periodically checked my rear turn signals to make sure the bulbs were good.
Old 01-11-2016, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by rustED
I did this mod on my 86 4runner, here's another pic of the resistor that needs to be removed.
Nice! thanks a lot!
Old 01-11-2016, 03:50 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Originally Posted by dropzone
for the LED flasher I used a similar one to this
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tridon-Novit...1UTpm5&vxp=mtr

practically plug and play.
Every bulb including headlights on my 81 were converted to LED

Originally Posted by wyoming9
Napa EP-35L

Is the one I use.
EP-35 is actually the same Tridon part number I used.

Please, pretty please
Originally Posted by rustED

The only drawback to this mod is if you are still using your factory turn signal bulbs up front or in the rear tail lights, you have basically removed the low voltage detection circuit (for lack of a better term) from the flasher, so if one of your factory turn signal bulbs burn out, you won't have the fast blinker to warn you that the bulb needs replacing. This wasn't really a concern to me and I ran this mod for 4yrs on my 86 without any issues, I just periodically checked my rear turn signals to make sure the bulbs were good.
Just curious why modify a 30 year old flasher unit when a new LED compatible flasher is about $12-15
Old 01-11-2016, 05:08 PM

Robb, my only reason wud be sustainability, not consuming any more when possible. Same reason why I will only convert to LED when I'm out of the blinker bulb, and I guesstimate my headlight about to die.
Old 03-23-2017, 12:27 AM

Hi again and guys!
The base of the bulb in my bumper-mounted front turn signal froze into the receptacle and now separated from the glass so I need to do this mod soon (and leave the vacated spot in the bumper for foglight).

dsal_86Yota,
How has the mod worked for you so far? No issues with cops? No one saying that he could not see your turn signals?

Thanks a lot!
Old 03-23-2017, 04:17 AM

Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts
Ray - I've been thinking about this mod for a while. I really did not want to cut a hole into my light housing. I think the overseas hiluxes had turn signals in their corner light housings, so that would be a desirable way to go for me...if I could find the right housings. I searched ebay but did not see any for our model year.

Another option is this guy Daniel Stern http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...rkerflash.html

He makes a DRL module that you can wire up to your corner lights and then wire in your turn signal and it will use a single bulb to either be ON when your lights are on, and it will flash when your turn signal is ON. Pretty cool for $59.

I'm still kicking things around. My lenses are kind of cracking and faded, so I figure if I can find the hilux versions with the integrated turn signal, I might as well kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

Well nevermind, here they are...guess you just have to type the right search terms
http://www.ebay.com/itm/84-89-Toyota-Pickup-Front-Corner-Indicator-Turn-Light-Hilux-Mk2-Ln-Rn-Yn-50-56/331892463704?_trksid=p2385738.c100677.m4598&_trkpa rms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3 D20160908110712%26meid%3D1591e1315f744ee0808141500 111739a%26pid%3D100677%26rk%3D5%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D2 31313934951

Last edited by coryc85; 03-23-2017 at 04:23 AM.
Old 03-23-2017, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by coryc85
turn signals in their corner light housings.....
... DRL module...
Tnx, Cory. Yes I saw the Hilux housing, but didn't want to pay for them LOL!
My markers and turn signals are currently wired like D Stern's "rewire" method for alternating blinks. The DRL idea is ideal because it would allow me to add a separate DRL that can come on when engine is on, on top of the tail lights. Wanna DIY it...
... I just ordered an 1157 receptacle and the brightest 1157 LED from SuperbrightLEDs. Will install those in corner housings, then eventually make the DRL module for optimum visibility.

I'll use a capacitor and a relay to implement. Will post
Old 03-26-2017, 08:54 AM

Brightest Replacement for 194 Bulbs...

Hi folks,
So, I'm just waiting for my 1157 socket and bulbs to modify my front corner lights.

Now working on rear sidemarker/turn signal. As mentioned on my thread, I am using side marker from late 80's Camry; same as maker on the FJ80 here.
However, the 194 bulb in it is too dim and cannot be seen during the day - I also want to help prevent accidents during the day .
I would like to keep it stock but use a brighter LED bulb in the fixture. There were earlier mentions of the 921 bulb in 2012 but it's not clear if the 921 is plug and play or socket need to be replaced.
Originally Posted by malteserunner
.... I used 921 bulbs in the corner
Originally Posted by rworegon
There are two bulbs that are brighter than the 168/194 ... They are the 921 brightest and the 906 is a bit dimmer.
Does anyone know if 921 bulb is plug and play into socket for 194 bulb?

Thanks!
Old 03-26-2017, 09:12 AM

Oh, never mind... Found Conclusive info on Habanero's thread...

Originally Posted by habanero
As close to blinking/not blinking as I could get...

I took pics of one side with 168 clear and the other 921 natural amber. The camera could not pick out the difference in brightness or color. I could see the difference in person though.
Thanks to rworegon for the 921 bulb idea. It is a good deal brighter. I'm glad I used the amber bulb.... I did have to make my holes a tad bigger for the bigger bulbs, but it wasn't a big deal and the sockets still fit fine.
Thanks, Hab and rworegon!
Now time to hunt down brightest 921 that would still fit in that housing.
Any first-hand experience?
Got link to your source?
What Lumen rating did you use?
Old 04-03-2017, 05:13 PM

Ray - I'm thinking about getting these
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LZ5FMUI/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=331LRNWF7FOZI&coliid=I34Y3PXRXZYRBA&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LZ5FMUI/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=331LRNWF7FOZI&coliid=I34Y3PXRXZYRBA&psc=1

They claim 450 lumens per bulb, not sure if I believe that, but some of their other bulbs got decent reviews.
Old 04-03-2017, 07:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ray - I'm thinking about getting these https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LZ5FMUI...XRXZYRBA&psc=1

They claim 450 lumens per bulb, not sure if I believe that, but some of their other bulbs got decent reviews.
Excited to see what comes of this! I'm looking for an all-around brighter truck to make it feel much newer! Thanks!
Old 04-03-2017, 09:46 PM

Ray - I'm thinking about getting these https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LZ5FMUI...XRXZYRBA&psc=1
Thanks, Cory. They would work well for front amber markers.
However, I gather that because of the nature of LED spectrum, a bulb of certain color behind lens of different color will be dim. So Ideal for colored LED's would be to put them behind clear lenses.
For my red rear-side marker/turn signals I would have to use red LED.
Doubt if it's really 450 lumens. Even the 921's from SuperbightLED's, a well-respected source do not claim that much, but surely worth a try for amber lights.

Originally Posted by 128keaton
Excited to see what comes of this! I'm looking for an all-around brighter truck to make it feel much newer! Thanks!
We'll keep you posted.
Here's how I plan to make my markers blink together with the turn signals: ON INSTRUCTIBLES
I already have:
1) 1157 LED's and the sockets from SuperbrightLED's.
2) Relay
3) 6800 Micro-farad capacitor
4) Diodes

Last edited by RAD4Runner; 04-04-2017 at 11:00 AM.
Old 04-04-2017, 08:57 AM

Ray - Oh I missed that you had moved on to the rear sidemarkers in red. Same link I sent for amber has red selection as well. The Lumens on superbright specs page drop off fast when you start choosing colors other than white. I looked at the instructables page for the marker light flashing circuit. Very cool, I'm torn right now as to whether I want to go with the hilux corner lenses with the clear parking light and amber turn signal combo, or if I want to just buy new amber US spec lenses and add in that flashing circuit to make the corners flash with the turn signals. I really could use new lenses, mine are def showing their age. Are you doing that flasher mod to both front markers and rear?
Old 04-04-2017, 10:21 AM

Yes, I notice the drop in lumens I think that's just the nature of LED's and SBL being a reputable store, I think it publishes honest specs, not overblown specs from the communist bully of Asia.
... whether I want to go with the hilux corner lenses with the clear parking light and amber turn signal combo, or if I want to just buy new amber US spec lenses and add in that flashing circuit ... Are you doing that flasher mod to both front markers and rear?
I like the hilux corners, myself. Plus you can still use the flasher scheme with it to make alternate no-off more noticeable, instead of just dim-bright.
I would like to use the relayed flasher circuit on both front and rear if I can easily find where the front and rear wiring split. Otherwise, I'll keep the alternating scheme (marker on-blinker off and vice-versa) I already have.
I would like to modify the flasher-relay circuit to one below so:
When turn/hazard signal is off tail light power goes straight to tail/markers as normal.
When turn/hazard signal is on, capacitor (68000 micro-farad and experimenting) will keep relay on, normally-closed contact 87A will open and turn off tail/marker. Turn signal source will power tail/marker so it flashes in synch with turns, making the blinks more noticeable. (see 4crawler's steady park and blinking turn signal here).
normally-open contact 87 will close and send tail/marker power to OPTIONAL steady side-facing illuminator (using Oznium 3W, 11-mm, white LED Bolt) to improve my visibility of where I'm turning into.

Critiques, comments on circuit would be appreciated.

Last edited by RAD4Runner; 05-01-2017 at 03:44 PM.
Old 04-05-2017, 10:14 AM

I went ahead and ordered those amber Amazenar bulbs from Amazon, I'll put them in my front corner markers for now while I decide what to do. Your circuit looks correct to me, so when the turn signal comes on, the relay flips, side marker comes on and stays on, parking light blinks in conjunction with turn signal. Sounds straightforward. I'd like to see it in action.
Old 04-05-2017, 11:46 AM

I went ahead and ordered those amber Amazenar bulbs from Amazon, I'll put them in my front corner markers for now while I decide what to do. Your circuit looks correct to me, so when the turn signal comes on, the relay flips, side marker comes on and stays on, parking light blinks in conjunction with turn signal. Sounds straightforward. I'd like to see it in action.
Tnx, Cory!
"side marker that comes on and stays on" will be additional WHITE lights that will light up the corner where I'll be turning into. I'll try one 3W LED bolt and adjust as needed. I will aim it low, to illuminate around waist down - just enough to spot people/animals/objects.
Just gathering materials and motivation - LOL!
Old 04-08-2017, 07:51 AM

Step 1 of my corner evolution, I installed the Amazenar ambers, definitely brighter than regular bulbs, so well worth the $2.50 per bulb. LED on the left in this photo, to me it's much brighter and fills the lens with light better.

Old 04-09-2017, 10:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Step 1 of my corner evolution, I installed the Amazenar ambers, definitely brighter than regular bulbs, so well worth the $2.50 per bulb. LED on the left in this photo, to me it's much brighter and fills the lens with light better.

Those look AWESOME! Makes the truck look less dingy!

Quick Reply: Custom LED Turn signals in Corner lights