86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

cracked timing cover

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 06:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cracked timing cover

I just bought a 94 pickup 22re 4x4 5spd that was wrecked. My motor is toast and this motor although bearing the scars of a wreck runs perfect. However when it was wrecked the timing cover was cracked and the AC pump was cracked. It still runs fine.

Will I be ok to just replace the timing cover from my motor and run it as is?

Anything I should be keeping an eye open for?
Old 03-11-2011, 06:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
how bad is it cracked and how many miles are on the motor? might want to just change it out and do the timing chain at the same time u have it out so u don't have to do it later after its in and when it might not be as easy to do.
Old 03-11-2011, 06:54 PM

Sorry should have said before. The Motor is relatively new. It was a new motor purchased from Toyota 2.5 years ago. And its not a bad crack but its not a hairline crack either.
Old 03-11-2011, 07:03 PM

The truck was wrecked badly though. The po was doing 70 when he hydroplaned it and went for a ride off the road into a few trees and off to the other side of the road for another round.

Luckily the side of the truck took most the damage and I can use the whole drivetrain..or sell what I dnt need. Still contemplating on wether or not to so a 5spd swap since I have everything now.
Old 03-11-2011, 07:05 PM

can u get a pic of the crack so we can see how bad, i would say that it would be best to replace the front cover,
Old 03-11-2011, 07:11 PM

I won't be able to get one posted up anytime soon. No Internet at the new house just got my ole blackberry
Old 03-11-2011, 07:17 PM

found this one on ebay for 35. i would just replace it for that price.

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trk...All-Categories
Old 03-11-2011, 07:21 PM

Well I have the one off my truck. Could I just use it?
Old 03-11-2011, 07:30 PM

yeah if it is still good and u want to pull it, just make sure u mark where the bolts go, i was seeing something about people putting the wrong bolt in the wrong hole and it making some noise.
Old 03-11-2011, 07:38 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Might as well buy a headgasket and exhaust gasket too.
Its not easy to get the engine to seal back up after you pull the timing cover. And its a relatively easy job granted the engine is out of the truck and nothing is wrong with it.
Old 03-12-2011, 02:41 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Yes most times when you pull the timing cover without removing the head it always leaks.

With the engine out you might be able to get lucky by removing the oil pan and being real careful when you put it back on and push up against the head gasket.

Even so the chances are it will still leak are good at the head gasket with oil just pouring out.

Unless it is budget limits I would go with a new Timing cover at the very least the steel timing chain guide on the left side.

If you use your old timing cover look real good to make sure there is no wear on the left side If the guides had failed at one time
Old 03-12-2011, 03:28 AM

Id like to add:
Engnbldr sells a whole timing chain kit and cover for around 86 dollars.
A felpro headgasket set with every other gasket was 80 (60 if you use a les schwabs discount, but you need to work there).
So..
160 dollars and peace of mind.
Plus you can inspect your valves.
Old 03-12-2011, 07:03 AM

If I knew the motor was going to be fine I would do it no problem. However I have another thread about the compression issue. Cylinders 2 and 4 are lower than the other 2 cylinders. Since those 2 cylinders being in the same compression stroke could it be something small making botj read lower than the other 2? Would the timing cover being cracked have anything to do with it.

Its weird because if I showed yall a sound clip you would think it would be the best sounding 22re motor you've ever heard...

The motor doesn't have a radiator or fan hooked up to it as that was cut out but could the po had let it run too long and maybe the hg went...

I'm lost as what to do. And yes budget is in mind. Not becuase I'm cheap but becuase I simply don't have the money to throw at it and hope. Had to sell my 4wheeler to get the parts truck.
Old 03-12-2011, 10:20 AM

Would someone mind posting a picture for me if I emailed it to them? Only have my BB to communicate on here.

would it be possible to jb weld the crack and ride it as is?
Old 03-12-2011, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by BigSwole
Would someone mind posting a picture for me if I emailed it to them? Only have my BB to communicate on here.

would it be possible to jb weld the crack and ride it as is?
I wouldn't.
Honestly, 86 dollars buys you an entire kit.. chain, guides, gaskets, seals, and a cover. Save the cash and do it right the first time..
And you might as well buy a head gasket while you're in there. Cuz to actually do it right you're gonna wanna pull the head.
And this might seem like a daunting task, but it really isn't at all.
These engines aren't high power, high precision engines by any means, and you actually have to try to screw anything up.
Save the dough, do it right, and enjoy the next 150000 miles that engine will give you.
Old 03-12-2011, 03:44 PM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
i got away without pulling my head when i did my tchain, just gotta be careful not to tear the hg and put a bit of rtv on the cover when installing again. Hasn't leaked at all until i just did my new head and hg.
Old 03-12-2011, 04:30 PM

Ok update. actually had a chance to mess with the truck today. The cover is cracked where the bracket to the AC pump is. It isn't cracked on the actual cover part. After looking at it some more I think I can get away with some jb weld or something.

I know I should just replace it but I don't want to spend money on a motor that may or may not actually b good. If I can run some cleaner through it once I install it and the compression numbers look good I wouldn't have a problem doing it. Just cannot afford to throw money at it and hope for the best.
Old 03-13-2011, 03:52 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Is it leaking? If it is, replace the cover, if it isn't don't worry too much about it.

You CAN replace just the cover and have it seal up properly, it's not terribly hard. You need to drop the pan slightly to get enough wiggle room, and make sure you put some FIPG in the top corners of the timing cover as per the FSM. The important part is to not force it, and pinch the head gasket.
Old 03-13-2011, 04:33 PM

Thanks for all the responses guys. I had a busy day today. Pulled the motor out of my truck. Pressure washed the engine bay. Pulled the motor out of the parts truck and have it hanging ready for me to change out a few parts from my motor to it.

Where the cover cracked is where the AC compressor bolts to the motor. So its not leaking or anything. What I'm going to try an do is get it all bolted up and jb weld that sucker in place. I hope that works. I really hope it does.
Old 03-13-2011, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by annoyingrob
Is it leaking? If it is, replace the cover, if it isn't don't worry too much about it.

You CAN replace just the cover and have it seal up properly, it's not terribly hard. You need to drop the pan slightly to get enough wiggle room, and make sure you put some FIPG in the top corners of the timing cover as per the FSM. The important part is to not force it, and pinch the head gasket.
corners arent the leaky part lol.
the entire front on mine leaked.
then again, i also had some goofy copper spacer inbetween my block and headgasket that got all bent up.

Quick Reply: cracked timing cover