86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

comealong as winch?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 08:32 AM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Gnarly4X
If other people getting stuck pisses you off, and your way helping them out is to "toss them a comealong and say "ill be up ahead" lol..." even though is does get frustrating sometimes, then you probably should go out by yourself. The guys I wheel with wouldn't think of leaving someone on the trail stuck, although I have guys get left in other groups. I alway packed a come-along in my carry-on stuff. I never had to use it. I only used my Ramsey 8K winch about 4 or 5 times and it was to help someone else.

A snatch strap is a lot safer and much quicker. If someone is stuck so bad that snatch strap won't do it, and you have come-along and how winch, then use it. Keep in mind your are exposed to something snapping, so it's a lot more dangerous to use.

A Hi-Lift jack can be real handy, and can get you un-stuck better than a winch, but it takes up space and needs to be bolted down well.

That's just my worthless opinion.

gNARLS.
I've seen my buddies rig take a beating trying to help a guy out who was helpless and arrogant. Don't get me wrong the same day we unstuck and towed a rig out that was stuck in deep snow for 6 hrs. underbuilt rigs can suck.
Old 10-31-2009, 09:03 AM
Contributing Member

Received 465 Likes on 311 Posts
I'm sure he means people not in his group, helping others is sometimes good, sometimes a gamble, sometimes entertaining...

like the truck coming down from the pass with a flat who asked us if we had a jack.
I did and gave it to them.
Then they needed a tool to get the lugs off.
I gave them one.
Then they found out their donut was nearly flat. Did we have an air pump?
I did.

Boy, you should've seen the look on their collective faces when I gave them......
my bicycle pump.
Old 10-31-2009, 11:14 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have "comealonged" myself out of many situations... very helpful tool to keep in the rig, and dosent take too much space. As mentioned above tho... the cables can snap, and when they do, it can be quite painful.
One thing about the comealong.... it halps to have 2 people... one to operate the comealong, and one to "drive" the truck. It takes a lot of the stress off the comealong to let the truck do most of the work.
Old 10-31-2009, 11:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have had two in the rig with 100' of steel cable and a 80' yarder tree choker. But in Fairbanks there isn't much to winch off of since the trees are small and have shallow roots. Now i carry a hatchet and spade so that i can make a lever to lift myself out.
Old 11-01-2009, 06:15 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gnarly4X
Well, if I offer to help someone who may be helpless, that's one thing. If the anal sphinctor is going to get arrogant about, then I will just say "good luck" and walk away!! And, yeah, I agree, I'm NOT going to tear up my truck trying to get some one out of a bad spot.

gNARLS.
now you see my point lol, my roommate has a stock ZR2 that if i make it through he HAS to, after towing him out of the same mud pit 3 times he gets so stuck that i get stuck trying to get to a better pull point to pull him out, have to call a buddy to come get us, he pulls us both out and leaves, then my roommate trys to get through it 2 more times!!!

i say let him suffer with the comealong for a couple of hours and ill tow him out before i leave

oh- and after a whole day of wheelin my truck was running and feeling good, after pulling him out half a dozen times my valve tick came back, idle problem, vaccum leaks, and grinding when i shift into first and reverse.... my 3200lb 100hp truck isnt meant to yank on 3800lb

Last edited by greatskiiiier; 11-01-2009 at 06:19 AM.
Old 11-01-2009, 07:19 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hi lift makes a kit that comes with the stuff needed to use for hi lift as a winch. I found it on eBay for around 50-60. Is it worth it?
Old 11-01-2009, 09:38 AM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by habanero

Boy, you should've seen the look on their collective faces when I gave them......
my bicycle pump.
LOL

Originally Posted by 93yotaSR5
Hi lift makes a kit that comes with the stuff needed to use for hi lift as a winch. I found it on eBay for around 50-60. Is it worth it?
http://www.nissan4x4.co.za/Technical...iLiftWinch.htm
This is more of a DYI set, they attach the pulling chain to the wrong place according to other sources and video.