Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Can I do this with my 3.slo?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 06:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The other thing to keep in mind through, it vehicles manufactured without EGR, there is other things to prevent detonation, such as timing, etc.
Old 07-28-2010, 07:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am also an advocate of EGR, and the secondary air injection, deletion on all of my Pre-OBDII Toyota's. I have two trucks with the 3VZ-E and one with a 22RE. None have had any negative repercusions as a result of the "emissions delete package". I cut out plats from 1/4 inch to block of the exhaust manifold and intake manifold ports.

It makes it way easier to service the motor, such as plugs and valve cover gaskets with the extra crap out of the way.

I have never had issues with pre-ignition problems as long as the timing is set to factory spec. I figure that the knock sensor would tell the ECU to retard the timing in pre-ignition event.

My biggest complaint with EGR systems on all vehicles is that over time it accumulates a ton of carbon crap in the intake manifold and intake valves. Over time I could see this buildup costing power.

The PCV valve should remain in place to preserve the seals and cause it doesn't hurt anything being there.

Just my $.02
Old 07-28-2010, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by UKMyers
I must be getting old because I think both of those truck sound like absolute garbage. I can't imagine what that sounds like going down the freeway. I feel sorry for everyone that lives on your street. That's worse than a Ricer with a fart can. You guys are wasting your time messing with all this stuff. Do the ISR Mod and put some gears in it. If you want more power get something else.
I agree with uk, they both sound like crap. Mak's sounds good just don't like that down pipe. Do any of these truck have motor work done or anything like that? Straight pipes, maybe for a mudd truck, but why would anyone want there truck to sound like that? As for the egr and pvc, they were put there for a reason. Does anyone honestly think that disconnecting there pvc, egr, a/c, gonna get you drastic horse power gains? Well your not! You want horse power work on the heads and cam part. Basically your getting nothing and hurting the truck by doing these shade tree mechanic horse power gain fixes. Just my opinion though..
Old 07-28-2010, 12:44 PM

the EGR only effectively lowers cylinder temps at low throttle input where detonation is not a concern, unless your timing is really advanced.
Old 07-28-2010, 01:47 PM

Maybe thats all they do, but if you did not need them they would not be there. The pvc and egr, I have an idea are quick fixes for people strapped for cash or want it to smooth out till they get the cash to fix it. Who wants there check engine light on all the time! If something does throw a code you would never know! I like stock, it works like it is supposed to! If I want horsepower, like I said before i would change the cams or do head work.I do recommend a good exhaust and the isr mod though. Letting it breath is always good.
Old 07-28-2010, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by Reedr125
Maybe thats all they do, but if you did not need them they would not be there.
this is not true, the EGR has no positive effect on the motor. it is only their to reduce emissions. although legally yes, it has to be their, but mechanically you are better off without it.

how much better? maybe not enough to warrant taking it off, but that depends on personal want and needs.