86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Can cold weather kill your AC?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 06:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can cold weather kill your AC?

I recently made a trip up north, and it got pretty freaking cold. I think it got down to around 3 degrees, which probably sent my old 1990 2nd Gen into shock. It sure did to me.

Since I got back, my AC has been INOP. The compressor clutch doesn't engage. This has got to be something simple, as my AC (old R12) was working flawlessly during the trip up.

Can cold kill a thermister? I've checked the fuses and circuit breaker. I also just found the link below on this site thanks to Corey.

http://www.pnw4runners.com/pdf/AC_HEATE.PDF

Last edited by UncleBob; 03-07-2007 at 04:23 PM.
Old 03-07-2007, 04:33 PM

Okay, thanks to the link above, I decided to see if I could test out my Thermistor.

According to the directions in the link to test the Thermistor:

2. Measure resistance betwen 6-pin connector Terminals No.1 (Yellow/Green wire) and No. 3 (White/Black wire).
3. Resistance should be 1500 OHMS at 77 degrees. If not, replace..
Trouble is, I'm not sure exactly what the Thermistor connector looks like. The pictures aren't the best. At my evaporator, on the driver's side, There is a 6-pin connector, screwed to the evaporator with a bracket, that has two opposing ends that are sandwiched between the evaporator halves. It has a Yellow/Green wire, and a Black/White one. Either the instructions above have a typo, (White/Black -vs- Black/White) or I'm not measuring the right pins. If I am measuring the right pins, I see an open, which would explain why my clutch isn't engaging.

Has anyone replaced their thermistor and can confirm I'm looking at the right connector? I'd hate to buy a new one only to find out I was Ohm-ing out my glove box door light.

EDIT:

According to the online FSM for a '93, the thermistor has different pins to measure. (What is WL in color code?). And my cooling unit evaporator doesn't look the same as the one in the '93 FSM.

http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b...20thermist.pdf

Are either of these directions correct?

This is on my 1990 2nd Gen, V6 Standard.

Last edited by UncleBob; 03-07-2007 at 04:42 PM.
Old 03-08-2007, 05:00 AM

And, I found ANOTHER reference here of checking the thermistor, which says to OHM out a DIFFERENT set of pins.

The thermistor is simply an evaporator temperature sensor that signals the amplifier to cycle the compressor when the evaporator gets too cold. This signal comes in on pin 3 and the thermistor can be checked between pins 3 and 9 (ground inside amplifier) for a resistance above 1000 ohms.
So, I've found three different sets of intructions on which pins to check. Can anyone tell me which is correct for a 1990 4-Runner V6 Standard?

Is a Thermistor available at a FLAPS? Or do I have to go to the dealer? if it's available at the FLAPS, I'll just get one and check it at the counter.

Can a Mod move this to the electrical forum?
Old 03-08-2007, 10:35 AM

Update.

Called my local FLAPS and asked for a 'Thermistor'. The teenage mouth-breather said I must be talking about the 'Thermostat', and that yeah, they had one. I explained what a Thermistor does and where it goes. He suggested I purchase a PCV valve.
Old 03-08-2007, 03:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"evaporator thermistor is used to prevent evaporator from freezing up."

its a resistor that changes resistanse with temperature. it sounds like that would be the issue here.

for 4X4: it say the yel/grn with blk/wht
there is no polarity for resistance. and exact resistance is based on outside temp.
Old 03-08-2007, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by surf4runner
it say the yel/grn with blk/wht
there is no polarity for resistance..
I realize there is no polarity for resistance, but blk/wht is NOT the same as wht/blk, therefore I had reason to question the instructions.

Also, the online FSM for 1993 wasn't correct either, in referring to my evaporator and pinouts for testing thermister.

Maybe my old 1990, since it was built in '89, used some leftover 1st generation parts? I dunno, but if you have a 1990 2nd Gen and run into the same issue as me, the thermistor plug IS the one that has 3 plugs, 2 of which are sandwiched in between both sides of your evaporator. Unscrew and unplug the main plug facing you. Since the driver side of the evaporator is the one that contains the thermister, test the two wires that go to that side. (The other side is a pressure switch..)

In my case, the thermistor were pins 1+2, which are Yellow/Green, and White/Blue.

Mine tested OK this evening, so my 'frozen thermistor' hypothesis was way off. I'm gonna take it in and have it checked by a pro.
Old 03-30-2007, 09:10 AM

Finally took it in. Wiring harness rubbed through an AC hose and dumped all that precious R12.

Replacing hose, dryer, and filling it back up with freon worth it's weight in gold. I like R12, though. It's important to me to see hard nipples when my AC is on LOW..