86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

body swap ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2006, 04:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation body swap ?'s

New to the forum but i got a serious question which hasn't been answered on any of the forums i looked at.......

I just bought my friends 87 standard cab 4x4 which he had just rolled. cab and bed are pretty much unfixable so im going to swap the body off my 91 2wd which is fuel injected but run it carbuerated. Is there anything i have to do to keep the truck carbuerated instead of converting the engine to FI? i would just convert it but last time the 2wd was running it was blowing EFI fuses, and i like carb better.

now the second question. my friend gave me a 3" body lift which he had bought for the truck, as i was looking around i saw that 86-88 and 89-95 body lifts are different. what are the differences and which body lift do i need to make it work?

thanks for the help
Old 01-18-2006, 11:46 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well for the engine I can't understand why you would want the carb over the late midel efi? More power and better milage.

I'd say the late model BL is what you want. Not you may have to do some minor fab work to make that body fit perfict.
Old 01-19-2006, 05:30 AM

Well i wanna stay carb. because the wiring harness in the 2wd is a little messed up and it kept blowing fuses last time i put an engine in it. and it would just be easier to leave the engine carb. instead of converting it to FI cause i don't know if i still have all of the parts.

so your saying i should use the body lift for the 89-95?
Old 01-19-2006, 05:54 AM

So you're going to put your 91 2WD cab and bed on the 87 4WD frame and keep the 87's 22R ?

The body swap is doable, but if you have emissions testing where you live, it's very doubtful an 87 22R will pass the specs for a 91 22RE truck.
Old 01-19-2006, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by Hondadik
Well i wanna stay carb. because the wiring harness in the 2wd is a little messed up and it kept blowing fuses last time i put an engine in it. and it would just be easier to leave the engine carb. instead of converting it to FI cause i don't know if i still have all of the parts.

so your saying i should use the body lift for the 89-95?
Yes, and the EFI .
Old 01-19-2006, 05:56 PM

no emissions where i live so i'll be fine there. my friend had a problem with the EFI wiring harness when he had the truck and i bought it from him. i mean the engine ran but it would blow EFI fuses and its missing an injector plug. i may eventually convert it to fuel injected but for the mean time im gonna leave it carb. has anyone ever done this? is there any problems i will run into or anything? i read the carb. engine still has a small ecu do i need to plug that up or do i just plug all the efi plugs in that wil work and leave the rest unplugged?

also will i run into any problems with the body swap? would like some input from someone who has done the swap
Old 01-19-2006, 06:38 PM

You are gonna have to swap the harnesses or else destroy the EFI one and have nothing to work with when you do decide to swap over to EFI. I think you would really thank yourself later if you first fixed the EFI problem (prolly just a short somewhere) and swaped the body and such over. By trying to make your life easier you could just be making it more difficult. The new body will have a body harness that is designed for the ECU and on and on. There is also a serious performance difference between the 22r and late model 22re that you are neglecting.
Old 01-19-2006, 07:55 PM

well i guess i'll convert the engine to fuel injected then. i do have till' sept. 2nd to finish everything thats when i get my license back. but are there any problems with swapping the bodies? just bolt it up and go? im assuming i'll have to have to cut out a hold in hte floor for the transfer case?
Old 01-19-2006, 08:10 PM

You may have to move some body mounts around a little bit. So are they both std cabs?
Old 01-19-2006, 08:48 PM

yep they are both std cab.
Old 01-19-2006, 08:58 PM

Should be pretty straight forward. Just pull the body off the 87 frame and strip it to sell what you can then trash it. Then you can see what you have for a frame. I'd take the opertunity to clean the frame up and be sure you have no rust you need to fix. Then seperate the body from the 22re and its frame, thats when you will be able to see what you have to modify if anything (there shouldn't be much) and you'll know if you can use your BL. From there it is pretty straight forward. Take lots of pics and be sure to post up a write-up. If you can get a copy of both FSMs then you will be able to see what needs to be changed before you get too far into it. Both FSMs are floating around 4x4wire.com somewhere.
Old 01-19-2006, 09:07 PM

do you think it's worth doing?
Old 01-19-2006, 09:21 PM

If it was me I'd SAS the 2wd using the 2wd frame and some of the parts from the rollover. Whatever you don't use from the 87 you can sell to cover your SAS cost. Then you'll have a really cool rig. I guess anything is worth while depending on what you want.

The SAS may not cost you anything more then what you've already spent if you can sell one of the engines and trannies and other misc parts.
Old 01-19-2006, 09:25 PM

so your saying i should convert my 2wd into a 4wd? is there a write up on that?
Old 01-19-2006, 09:42 PM

Hmm not that I've seen. I know there are a few peeps that are doing it. It sounds pretty straight forward the actual SAS is pretty straight forward, Then take the tranny, t-case, rear diff and driveshaft from the 87 and swap it in. The mods to the 92 cab should be exactly the same as if you swaped cabs. All you should need that you don't have is the diff and crossover. Not a bad deal at all.
Old 01-20-2006, 05:16 AM

sounds fun but im not gonna attempt it unless i have a write up to go by. this will be my first time messing with 4x4 trucks, everything i've built is honda so im not looking to indulge in a really hard project I figured switching the bodies and wiring the truck wouldn't be too bad.
Old 01-20-2006, 06:00 AM

The best place tolook for that info is pirate.com they will be all over that there, you'll be hero. Then post up a question on 4x4wire.com there is a guy doing it there as well.
Old 01-20-2006, 07:07 AM

I've seen a prerunner to 4wd conversion on TTORA. do a searchover there and see what you could find.
Old 01-20-2006, 11:48 AM

Here is one that a guy from the wire just did.

http://home.comcast.net/~tzkhelrick/sas.html
Old 01-24-2006, 08:49 AM

that link doesn't have any info on how to do the swap. and what is TTORA?

Quick Reply: body swap ?'s