86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

94 toyota 2.4 22re Rebuild? or Buy?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 12:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
94 toyota 2.4 22re Rebuild? or Buy?

I have a 94 toyota pickup, and this last month i have found many issues with it. I changed the oil about 2 weeks ago, it was a dark chocolate color with a foamy/bubbly rust color film on the top of it, and i have been losing a little antifreeze, but haven't found any leaks. So i fear that my head gasket it leaking. Then yesterday when I started it to warm it up it made a very loud sound, similar to a bad lifter, only much louder. I turned it off and restarted it, pushed the gas a few times and it continued doing it, I then decided to drive it a few blocks to the mech. and by the time i got there the sound had changed from a constant noise to a rythmic quieter noise. and of course they were closed. I then took it to a shop in a town 15 miles down the road and it wasn't making any weird noise by the time i got there, the guy there messed with it and when he would pull the throttle cable right at the end it would make the sound, he determined it was my rod berrings. I'm not sure what to do at this point, if i rebuild it i need to replace the lifters, gaskets from head up, maybe the timing chain if i'm already in there, but i'm unsure of any thing on the bottom end. not sure if it would be better to just buy a rebuilt one or do it myself. I am also wondering if there isn't a dif. motor i could put in to get more power, i thought about a 3.4 but heard thats a lot of work and alot of replacing. Is there any thing i could do while rebuilding the 2.4 that would add a little power? Any help is greatly appriciated!!!
Old 01-22-2013, 12:34 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Tons of threads on the exact same issue. Search the forum and

:wabbit2: