86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

94 Pick up help

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2017, 04:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
94 Pick up help

i have an opportunity to buy a 94 4cyl 2WD with 220,000 miles on it. One owner and is said to have been properly maintained.
it is in decent shape, no dents, little rust and is a basic model. No AC Regular cab.
asking price is $1500.00 Midwest location.
I have never owned Toyota pick up and would like your opinion on this model and price.
thank you.
T

Last edited by Tilden; 01-29-2017 at 04:46 AM.
Old 01-29-2017, 06:05 AM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
It is always harder to say what one is worth or going to sell for without being able to touch it or see it. Seems to be reasonable priced.

You wouldn't be able to buy my 2wd 94 for that, and it has a trashy crankshaft, some due to sentiment the rest from all the interior work.
Old 01-29-2017, 07:54 AM

Thank you for the reply. What are a few question you would ask owner and what to look for aside from rust? Also, do these need a water pump/belt change every 100,000?
Old 01-29-2017, 08:09 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

No but the timing chain and guides might need attention if they have ever been done.

These are great trucks if you can do most all the work yourself.

If you need to pay to have things done look for something much newer

Proper maintenance can mean as little as regular oil changes or it can mean the complete truck .

What kind of shape are the brakes and suspension and steering parts in . Now if your capable of doing all the work just something to lower the price .

Good luck
Old 01-29-2017, 11:32 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Owner inspections, service records..

First thing pop the hood and check the oil and coolant, subtly make sure the engine and transmission are cold and haven't been preheated.

Ask the seller to produce the records or list off on paper all work and inspections done in the last 6 years ("so I have an idea of when I need to have them done again, please") and compare it with the maintenance schedule. While they are busy doing that perform the roughly thirty point owners inspection list in the manual, do these with out the seller interfering/present if they're not OK with that or keep interrupting there could be issues they don't want you to notice.

Test drive it, again without interruption, take a friend or two thier job is to run counter-interference when needed. Leave the friend and your keys with the seller while you test drive it, or makes them feel "better", have one friend stay and get well friendly and inquire non directly how the vehicle was treated. The second friend can focus on ride quality and nosies during the test drive, a second set of eyes and ears helps catch little things you might miss while navigating.

Evaluate how it handles, and performs not only on residential streets but on main streets and on the highway. Leave the engine running when you return and observe the cooling system efficiency, inspect again for leaks, squeeks and engine noises.

Even if it's a sweet little old lady that reminds you of your grandmother assume she's trying to pull a fast one and be cautious!
Old 01-30-2017, 05:58 AM

Thanks gang, greatly appreciate the information.
Old 01-30-2017, 06:32 AM

+1 ^ Co_94_PU, if only that's what I did when I bought my 94 2wd 22re (106K), would've saved me from doing a timing chain, all pumps, full front brakes, new rims (bent), radiator, and most recently the idle air control valve spitting coolant in my intake (maybe). God it's embarrassing when I list it all out. I've done all the work, and honestly that's the only reason I still own it. The quotes I got for the timing chain alone were almost as much as I paid for the whole thing.

- Look up some youtube videos of the timing chain noise. They can go anywhere from 90K to 130K it seems, so this engine should be on it's second or third one.
- Check oil for signs of coolant (timing chain can cut a water passage in its cover, results in major milkshake sludge.)

That said, I love working on this thing. It's still very much an old car, despite the computer and electronics. Plenty of room to get stuff done and the fancy "modern" parts really aren't that complicated. And if you're a tinkerer there are a ton of fun, cheap projects to do to these. The truck that keeps on giving

Last edited by adamk; 02-04-2017 at 10:04 AM.
Old 02-12-2017, 05:08 PM

Buy Truck

Did you buy the truck? If so how are things.
I bought a 94 Toyota pickup 4 WD in October and paid $3,500.00 for it. So $1,500.00 sounds quite good. With the thing I have fixed an now at $6,000.00. I have done had most of the work done except for cleaning it up.
I am glad I bought it and will try and do as much work as possible.
Attached Thumbnails 94 Pick up help-20170127_162428.jpg   94 Pick up help-20170127_162545.jpg