Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

93 4runner, Hard to start at first and boggy, what is my problem??? Help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 09:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
93 4runner, Hard to start at first and boggy, what is my problem??? Help!

Hey everyone just wanted to start with giving you some info on my ride its a 1993 auto 4runner SR5 4*4 w/ 115k miles. Only mods are bigger tires. Recently cleaned filter and changed plugs. Live in Texas so it does not get to cold down here.

Now the problem...
Well everytime in the morning when I try to start my 4runner it does not want to start. Usually it take 3-4 times of trying and giving it gas etc. Then when it starts it barely is running and slowly gains power. Also the car is running really rich. At first it smokes white but after warm up the smoke goes away. You can still smell the richness though all the time. Also once I start going at first the car is very very boggy barely even going. After the car is fully warmed up the throttle response is alot better and the car is not as boggy. The motor is shaky too as if there is a vac leak or somthing. Also the motor is now louder than usual.
All of this started after a 4 hour trip. On this trip it was raining very hard. I was thinking maybe I messed up the o2 sensor from the rain or somthing. I also suspected the beggining of a faulty head gasket, but I took the car to Toyota they said it had already been replaced and they told me that was not my problem. Has anyone experienced my symptoms. I am pretty broke so I can not just start throwing parts in the car unless I really think it is the problem. Please if you have any info on my problem please share. I thank anyone that takes the time to read this and help me. This is my daily driver andI really want to get my baby healthy again.

Sincerely, Nick
Old 01-21-2010, 11:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4 cyl or v6?
I just had kinda similar symptoms except for the richness part and I had exhaust valves too tight on my v6 in fact one was so tight that i had zero compression in that cylinder and a slightly burnt exhaust valve. The correct shims were put in and my truck runs smooth and better than ever. Your sounds a little more fuel or ignition related though.
Old 01-21-2010, 11:47 AM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Check for vac leaks and it is possible that you burnt a valve. Give it a can of seafoam, change plugs, at least check cap and rotor.
Old 01-21-2010, 12:39 PM

Yes it is a v6 3.0. Hmm... i'll look into the sea foam stuff. Yeah it deff. runs super rich. I dont know if the o2 going out would make the motor run as rough as it does though. And it is wierd the first time I try to start my car everyday whatever time it is, it is a pain to get started and it acts like a grandma barely putting and running rough until it warms up, but then it still does not run like it use to.
Old 01-21-2010, 12:55 PM

Cold start injector issues? Check the FSM for troubleshooting procedures.
Old 02-26-2010, 12:34 AM

Hey CappyKD,

I'm having the same issue with my '88 V6 3vze as Mr Chumchal--white smoke at start up, bad mileage--and I think it's the fuel mixture being too rich.

But I want to know more about the exhaust valves being too tight. Where are they located and how can I test/adjust them? My runner has 253K, so the O2 sensor could be the culprit too, but I'd like to rule out the least costly possibilities first.

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-26-2010, 06:21 AM

x2 re: "Cold start injector issues"

Here is a test you can run. Remove the CSI from the plenum but do not disconnect the fuel line or the electrical connection. Place the CSI in an empty jar and have a buddy crank the motor. (The motor should not start unless you block off the CSI opening in the plenum.)

When the key is turned to the run position, the injector should spray briefly then stop. If it continues to seep or leak, it is faulty. A bad CSI will make your exhaust smell really rich, cause your idle to be eratic and your mpg to decrease.

If your CSI is toast, you can either replace it or remove it. If you replace it, they run $130 from AutoZone and $200 from the stealership. Some folks just remove it and make a block off plate for the plenum. That makes the truck harder to start, but once it warms up a little, the CSI serves no function so you don't miss it.

Good luck,

WJ

Last edited by Wrenchinjoe; 02-26-2010 at 06:23 AM.
Old 01-30-2018, 09:41 PM

I am having similar problem. My 93 4Runner 2wd 3.0 it’s hard to start when cold. Back in September when the problem first started , I thought it was time to do a basic tune up. New plugs, wires, D- cap and rotor button, air filter. My truck was still hard to start when cold. Started, no problem after it was warm. Decided finally to have it diagnosed by a shop. Recommended I replace EGR valve and pressure regulator. So I did. Didn’t work. Then I noticed the fuel damper was leaking. Replaced that. No luck. Now I can’t even start my truck without using jumper cables before it will start. So I replaced the cold start injector. Same. I replaced the fuel pump and screen. It’s gotten to the point where I have to use cables and crank the starter nonstop, throttle to the floor until after the engine is running. It takes about 3-5 minutes and it will finally run but really rough for about a minute or two. I don’t know what else to do. Please help
Old 04-26-2021, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by SmileywayS
I am having similar problem. My 93 4Runner 2wd 3.0 it’s hard to start when cold. Back in September when the problem first started , I thought it was time to do a basic tune up. New plugs, wires, D- cap and rotor button, air filter. My truck was still hard to start when cold. Started, no problem after it was warm. Decided finally to have it diagnosed by a shop. Recommended I replace EGR valve and pressure regulator. So I did. Didn’t work. Then I noticed the fuel damper was leaking. Replaced that. No luck. Now I can’t even start my truck without using jumper cables before it will start. So I replaced the cold start injector. Same. I replaced the fuel pump and screen. It’s gotten to the point where I have to use cables and crank the starter nonstop, throttle to the floor until after the engine is running. It takes about 3-5 minutes and it will finally run but really rough for about a minute or two. I don’t know what else to do. Please help
I'm a few years behind but hopefully your still on here, I'm have the exact same issue that you described and I'm wondering what it turned out to be before I just start replacing everything under the sun. Thank you.