86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

'91 Pickup Clutch Cable???

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 10:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'91 Pickup Clutch Cable???

Hye guy, looking around for pickups and came across a '91 Xtra cab, 3.0, 5spd....but the guy is telling me it needs a clutch cable.

I thought all of these clutches were hydraulic, no? I asked him if maybe it needed a clutch master or slave and he said no he's pretty sure it's not hydraulic and it needs a cable.

Does he just not know what he is talking about or did some of these pickups have cables on the clutch?

I had an '88 and it was hydraulic.
Old 03-08-2009, 10:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't think any truck that new used a clutch cable, easy enough to check out though.
Maybe the master cylinder is empty
Old 03-08-2009, 02:26 PM

2nd and 3rd gens are hydraulic. Not sure about 1st gens (pre 80ish)
Old 03-08-2009, 03:08 PM

The seller is a moron.
Old 03-08-2009, 03:16 PM

as far as i know all the 4wd toys were hydraulic.
Old 03-08-2009, 04:01 PM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
Well know that you could have to do a whole clutch job not just a master or slave cylinder...

Old 03-08-2009, 04:19 PM

woohoo Long Island!! Like everybody above has said, it's definitely hydraulic. Where abouts on the island are you?
Old 03-08-2009, 04:21 PM

Replaced the clutch cable in my 94 2wd just the other day. It came in a can labeled "DOT 4."
Old 03-08-2009, 04:23 PM

lol, I bet as soon as it touched the air it melted and got all over your shoes
Old 03-08-2009, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by desconhecido
Replaced the clutch cable in my 94 2wd just the other day. It came in a can labeled "DOT 4."
I'm pretty sure it should have said DOT 3.
Old 03-08-2009, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by toyminator2000
The seller is a moron.
Haha...yeah I figured as much. I even said I don't think any of these trucks have cables, pretty sure it's hydraulic, he didn't agree....but what can you do.

Originally Posted by flashkl
woohoo Long Island!! Like everybody above has said, it's definitely hydraulic. Where abouts on the island are you?
What's up flashkl!!! Only other guy I have seen on here from L.I.!!

I'm in Lindenhurst, where are you at?

Tough to find ANY good Yota pickups on LI, or any AT ALL for that matter. I found a guy in North Jersey who finds them and Nissans all over the Northeast and brings them back, has a little lot where he sells them to shippers, who in turn send them overseas and sell them for like 10K+...Africa, Mexico, South America, wherever...they love these trucks over there. So every week he has about 3 or 4 of them and I take a ride out there and try to beat the shippers to them.

It's been slow the last couple weeks, he got this '91 Xtra Cab, 3.0, 5spd with 140K on it today, but I can't drive it, because it needs a "clutch cable", so I didn't bother going out to check it out if I couldn't drive it....I guess I could run out there and dump some Dot 3 in it, but not sure I want to drive 1 1/2 hrs to find out it's not just out of fluid.

Anyway the search continues....I gotta get rid of my Auto 4Runner, I can't deal with this slow ass Auto anymore, I hate driving Auto.
Old 03-08-2009, 06:37 PM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by raydouble
hha, glad you caught that...

Old 03-08-2009, 06:45 PM

theres a couple other guys... 91freerunner is in patchogue I think, and theyres a guy in Sayville. I'm in Sag Harbor so way out east...theres a couple guys west too in Queens and Manhattan so we're not alone...I'm thinking there should be a LI meetup sometime this summer.
You're right, finding a rust free yota out here is next to impossible. I found mine on Craigslist in New Haven, and I had to trick my parents into thinking we were going there to visit potential colleges so we could drive up and buy it. 4200, with no rust anywhere and 160k was a good deal. I now know its got a leaky HG, but what the hell, it still works.
My friend's been driving his cousins 97 Taco v6 5spd but he had to give it back, so he's now bought a 95 4runner limited 3.0 auto...hes gonna be so aggravated by its slowness
Old 03-08-2009, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by raydouble
Well. I just looked it up in the owner's manual and it does call for DOT 3, but, it now has DOT 4 in it.

I looked into this a while ago and from what I remember, DOT 3 and DOT 4 are chemically similar and it's ok to mix them and DOT 4 is an acceptable substitute for DOT 3. My recollection is that DOT 4 absorbs less water and has a higher boiling point.
Old 03-08-2009, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by desconhecido
Well. I just looked it up in the owner's manual and it does call for DOT 3, but, it now has DOT 4 in it.

I looked into this a while ago and from what I remember, DOT 3 and DOT 4 are chemically similar and it's ok to mix them and DOT 4 is an acceptable substitute for DOT 3. My recollection is that DOT 4 absorbs less water and has a higher boiling point.
You are correct, it was DOT 5 I was thinking of that's not compatible.
Still says DOT 3 in your owner's manual.......

Old 03-08-2009, 09:09 PM

theres a couple other guys... 91freerunner is in patchogue I think, and theyres a guy in Sayville. I'm in Sag Harbor so way out east...theres a couple guys west too in Queens and Manhattan so we're not alone...I'm thinking there should be a LI meetup sometime this summer.
You're right, finding a rust free yota out here is next to impossible. I found mine on Craigslist in New Haven, and I had to trick my parents into thinking we were going there to visit potential colleges so we could drive up and buy it. 4200, with no rust anywhere and 160k was a good deal. I now know its got a leaky HG, but what the hell, it still works.
My friend's been driving his cousins 97 Taco v6 5spd but he had to give it back, so he's now bought a 95 4runner limited 3.0 auto...hes gonna be so aggravated by its slowness

Yeah man, I just moved out here from Manhattan, but grew up on the Island, in Stony Brook. Spent a lot of my life out your way in Hampton Bays and Westhampton surfing spots on Dune Rd., K road, L Road...all those beaches out there...then I got my license and an old '83 FJ60 Landcruiser....which by the way was even a hydraulic clutch (4spd)....and spent half my life at Smith's Point surfing and ripping around the beach in that Crusier.

You ever rip around the beach anywhere on the island? I still go to Smith's Point, but mostly Democrat Point and Gilgo Beach...Democrat point has some pretty cool trails on the bayside of the beach.

Dude, if you know anybody on the island that wants to buy a Black '91 4Runner with a 3VZE, Auto, 199K miles....very little rust, paint in great shape, new heads 10K ago, also new injectors, T-belt, water pump, new alt, all new drive belts, Air Lift 1000 in the rear, and BFG All terrain TA's, let me know, I need to get rid of it. The truck runs and drives awesome, I just can't deal with driving Auto anymore...although I have to say this Auto is tough as hell and super tight for having 199K on it.

Take it easy man, Later!
Old 03-09-2009, 03:10 AM

I got a friend who's finally getting his license over the summer, but I think he wants something with a manual tranny. But if somebody else is looking, I'll let them know about yours. What are you asking for it?

If you want another runner, this one was up on CL and my buddy who got the 95 was gonna go look at it, but he called the girl who owns it and she said she decided not to sell it. Then last week she called him back and asked him if he was still interested...well he's got a truck already, but if you want a badass west coast Runner, go check it out. I personally wanna see some pics of it. http://longisland.craigslist.org/cto/1026245912.html

Like most Hamptons raised kids, I rarely go west of the shinnecock canal, but I do like ripping on the beaches out here. But staying out here gets pretty old after a while, I would like to check out Smith Point, Gilgo Beach and Democrat Point. I haven't even heard of those places... But if there's some legit trails (not fire roads and mud pits) I'd like to check em out. I smell a wheeling trip in the making
Old 03-09-2009, 03:12 AM

Is Democrat Point on Fire Island? I've never been there either...I'm so deprived!
Old 03-09-2009, 04:17 PM

I got a friend who's finally getting his license over the summer, but I think he wants something with a manual tranny. But if somebody else is looking, I'll let them know about yours. What are you asking for it?

If you want another runner, this one was up on CL and my buddy who got the 95 was gonna go look at it, but he called the girl who owns it and she said she decided not to sell it. Then last week she called him back and asked him if he was still interested...well he's got a truck already, but if you want a badass west coast Runner, go check it out. I personally wanna see some pics of it. http://longisland.craigslist.org/cto/1026245912.html

Like most Hamptons raised kids, I rarely go west of the shinnecock canal, but I do like ripping on the beaches out here. But staying out here gets pretty old after a while, I would like to check out Smith Point, Gilgo Beach and Democrat Point. I haven't even heard of those places... But if there's some legit trails (not fire roads and mud pits) I'd like to check em out. I smell a wheeling trip in the making
Is Democrat Point on Fire Island? I've never been there either...I'm so deprived!

Wow man, you need to get around more. The only places that I have gone on the beach out there are at the end of Cupsogue Beach and in Montauk, I'm sure you know other spots.

Never been to Fire Island????....you don't know what you're missing, one of the nicest places on Long Island.

Democrat Point is the end of Robert Moses Beach, right at Fire Island Inlet, across from that inside the Inlet is the Sore Thumb, another spot you can drive on the beach. You need a permit for all of these places and they are technically surf fishing beaches so you need to bring a rod with you, just to have in case the park police stop you.

Smith's Point you can just go to and buy a day permit, I think it's like $20, and you don't need to have a rod, you can do whatever you want on that beach, surf, BBQ, whatever. There is also Burma road behind the dunes which is pretty cool, but basically a fire road, some cool whoops and whatever.

Get around more man. My advise, depending on how young you are, is to move into the city and go nuts, then go back to LI on the weekends and have fun with the truck and beaches. Nothing like NYC during the week and LI on the weekends.

Evere hit the Drift Inn on Saturday nights in the summer, or the Boardy Barn??? Best places around.

Later man.
Old 03-09-2009, 04:39 PM

Didn't Drift burn down or something? And the Boardy Barn, well, that's kind of funny. I'm a senior in high school, and during english today our teacher who lives in Hampton Bays was telling us a story about when she first moved there she saw the people coming out of the 'barn all hammered and she thought they were mentally retarded people so she assumed that the 'barn was a clinic for retards... that was the first I'd ever heard of the place, and it was this morning, literally. What a coincidence...