86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

91 4Runner 3.0 Engine Tick

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2014, 12:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
91 4Runner 3.0 Engine Tick

I've tried searching, but nobody seems to have a tick quite like mine, so I decided to post a new thread. So my engine is making this ticking noise when I give it gas or rev the engine. It's like a tick tick tick. Not a knock. Sounds like it's coming from the top of the engine. I took a video and here is a link (
). Any idea what it is? How serious is it? Do the valves just need adjustment? I am somewhat mechanically inclined. Any help is appreciated.
Old 09-09-2014, 04:34 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
At what time mark in the video do you hear it?
Old 09-09-2014, 05:59 PM

You can here it throughout the video maybe 15 seconds in? It happens when I am driving Also at the end of the video I am outside with the hood up revving the engine and I can hear it, but it's hard to hear it on the video.
Old 09-09-2014, 06:09 PM
RJR

Received 109 Likes on 81 Posts
Auto or manual? If manual, does it continue ticking when you push in the clutch? Doesn't sound at all like valves to me. Sounds like something hitting once/engine revolution, like the fan or something up front. Check everything for clearances, but keep clear of moving parts and belts.
Old 09-09-2014, 06:12 PM

Manual. I haven't tried revving it with the clutch in, I will try that when I get off work. It does it while I'm driving and when I sit there and rev the engine. It seems to do it on medium throttle when accelerating, but not as bad on full throttle and not at all when I coast in gear with no throttle.
Old 09-09-2014, 08:45 PM

Just tested it, and it will do it both with the clutch in revving, and without the clutch in revving. It doesn't seem dependent on the clutch.
Old 09-10-2014, 01:03 PM

Bump.
Old 09-10-2014, 01:37 PM

I really think you should research for 3vze tick on the forums. This topic comes up weekly.

To help search, do not use the forum search bar. Instead, just go to google and type in your search plus yotatech f116. f116 is this subforum. For example,

"3vze tick yotatech f116"

in google yields a tremendous number of results.

This is something I posted back in March, and I stick to it. These engines just tick, it seems.

"GM660, Mine ticks too and has since I got it 18 months ago. I tore it all apart last April and did a valve job, sure that it would stop the tick. The valve job had no effect whatsoever. A lot of folks will tell you that the fuel pressure regulator is really loud on these trucks, and maybe that is your problem. I ruled that out on mine with a mechanic's stethoscope. I can hear the FPR ticking, but it is not my problem. The fuel injectors also click, but again, not the sound I am hearing.

The only suggestion I have heard over the past year and half that I have not ruled out is that it could be a small exhaust leak. Since I hate working on exhaust (aka breaking bolts and using up my swear-word dictionary) I have not looked into it much.

For me the noise gets a lot louder when I run the engine hard, offroading mostly. If I stop while offroading the tick sounds about twice as loud at idle. Since that tells me that it is somehow related to the temperature of the engine, I am pretty sure that it really is an exhaust leak. That could be your problem too.

However, long story short, if you fix the seal that goes around the steering rod on the firewall, you won't even be able to hear the tick inside the cab and you may start caring about it just as much as I do. The part is cheap and the fix is pretty easy."
Old 09-10-2014, 01:45 PM

Thank you for your help, I really appreciate it. I tried using the forum search bar, but couldn't find anybody with a similar problem. I didn't know you could use google to search the forums. I will check that out. My main concern is if the engine is going to die soon, because I plan to drive it across country next month and I definitely don't want to have it die 2000 miles from home. My dad actually said that he thought it was an exhaust leak since it only comes on when I hit the throttle. Also, one thing I forgot to add was that the exhaust pipe after the muffler has fallen off. The muffler is also needing replacing soon. Not sure if it's related but I thought I would mention it. I just wanted to see what the guys on the forums thought.
Old 09-10-2014, 03:59 PM

You will likely want to fix the exhaust pipe. The exhaust is full of hot moist air, which is a recipe for rust. The only rust on my truck is right where the exhaust had rotted off for the previous owner and not been repaired.

You should really consider getting the compression tested on the motor, or picking up a compression tester. They are not terribly expensive, but will tell you a lot about how the engine is doing.
Old 09-10-2014, 05:42 PM
RJR

Received 109 Likes on 81 Posts
Short or leaky exhaust pipes can also be dangerous, because exhaust can leak into the engine compartment through holes in the floor boards. Back in the days when engines still put out significant amounts of CO, you'd occasionally hear of backseat passengers (or passengers riding in a pickup shell/camper) arriving dead because of CO poisoning. It's not as much of a problem these days because of low CO emissions, but I'd still make sure the exhaust pipe goes all the way to the rear end of the vehicle and doesn't have leaks along the way.
Old 09-11-2014, 11:22 AM

Thank you guys. I think I will get the exhaust taken care of soon. Any suggestions on a new muffler? I definitely DO NOT want loud. I just want better flow for power and gas mileage. Also, do you know if a 91 4runner will throw a CEL if I don't have a cat? I don't have smog in my area so I can get away with it.
Old 09-11-2014, 07:16 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
If you have an O2 sensor after the cat (California emissions) it will throw a code. Both 49 state and 50 state 3vze have an O2 sensor before the cat to monitor rich/lean exhaust. The one after the cat only tells the computer how well the cat is performing and throws a code when the cat isn't converting anymore.
Old 09-22-2014, 11:59 PM

Well I replaced the muffler and pipe after the muffler, also took out the cat and replaced it with a piece of exhaust pipe. It seems to have more power now, and it sounds good!
Old 09-23-2014, 05:56 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ticking noise is interesting.

Verify no exhaust leaks are present.

This noise sounds a lot like a piston/wrist pin noise. Excessive clearance in piston pin(s).

Its possible it could be valve train noise and or an exhaust leak.

An exhaust leak will let out a lot of valave train noise.

Verifying engine health is a good idea. It might be a good candidate for a rebuild.
Old 01-26-2015, 09:31 PM

I have engine tick and diagnosed on the fly using additives. My 3vze would tick after driving a while but never at startup and seemed less at full throttle. started with boosing octane in fuel (engine detonation in case knock sensor not good)for couple weeks no change, lucas oil stabilizer 1litre for couple weeks no change then lucas upper cyl lube a few tanks and has started clearing up.

Last edited by mechkyle; 01-26-2015 at 09:33 PM.
Old 03-19-2015, 02:12 PM

This is the best resource I've found yet for the ticking I have. I've suspected exhaust leak for a long time. I busted the pipe below my EGR sensor while removing the intake plenum, and it started making that noise. I had a friend weld it, and it still makes the noise. My exhaust system is so junky though that hearing others mention exhaust leak pretty much confirms it for me.