Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Please Help!!! 93 4runner 3.0 Emergency

Old 03-19-2015, 10:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please Help!!! 93 4runner 3.0 Emergency

Over the last few weeks I have been having a very STRANGE problem with my 4runner. On the way to work one day as i was accelerating from a stop it would not rev past 2000 rpm. It felt as if there was a rev limiter at 2000rpm, when i would hit 2000rpm it would surge back down to 1500rpm and it would keep doing that as long as I would get it up to 2000rpm. I checked fuel pressure while the problem occurs and the fuel pressure remains constant at 40psi, so I ruled out the fuel pump (correct me if I'm wrong please). I also replaced fuel filter, and checked the fuel pressure regulator according to the FSM and it checked out ok. Also the 4runner idles great, doesn't overheat at all, and the oil pressure is good, even when the problem occurs. It runs verrrry good when the problem doesn't occur. There is also NO check engine light and when I scanned for codes using a jumper wire it showed that there were none. I was talking with another man on this forum and he told me that it was my ECU/ECM grounds, and that I should replace the terminals. I replaced the one terminal located behind the kick panel to the left of where the drivers foot would be while driving, and it ran fine for 1 week, then again this morning after stopping at the market to get lunch i started the 4runner up and immediately the problem happened. i was very devastated to say the least. I had to turn around and drive home under 2000rpm, but all of a sudden as i was driving on the shoulder with my hazards on the 4runner just sprung back to life and I was able to continue home with NO problems. This is actually the SECOND time this has happened. Once before I was driving home and it just caught back to life just like this morning.

I noticed that the GAS level was at half tank when the problem occurs. If I remember correctly each time the problem occurred I think my gas was at the half tank mark. Could the problem be related to something with half a tank of gas, or should I just go about replacing all the grounds. I will be replacing the terminals as I was instructed but i am simply trying to get others opinions on the matter. All ideas will be considered thanks to everyone in advance!!!
Old 03-19-2015, 01:05 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

When your fuel tank is at 1/2 tank just how much does it take to fill it?? Fuel gauges have been known to be off.

Does the problem go away when the tank is filled??

It never hurts to upgrade the ground cables at any time.

Is it possible anything is restricting the throttle linkage??
Old 03-19-2015, 02:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wyoming9
When your fuel tank is at 1/2 tank just how much does it take to fill it?? Fuel gauges have been known to be off.

Does the problem go away when the tank is filled??

It never hurts to upgrade the ground cables at any time.

Is it possible anything is restricting the throttle linkage??

It seemed like the problem doesn't happen when there is over 1/2 a tank, just when it gets to 1/2 maybe??? I have to test my theory again, and see if it only happens when there is half a tank....It hasn't happened to me with less than 1/2 a tank..yet. I am not sure if the problem goes away when filled.. Right now the truck runs fine and it just got below the 1/2 tank line..

And how would I inspect a throttle linkage restriction? forgive me but i am new to the 3vze and mechanical work in General.

Thanks a bunch for the reply!