86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

89 22re that wont start.

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 11:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
89 22re that wont start.

This is my first post and I hope it is in the right place. I bought a 1989 Reg Cab Toyota Pickup 4x4 with the 22RE. The engine was rebuilt a few years ago, but due to a death it was parked for about a year. They had trouble getting it going, but they got it running with running a wire to the fuel pump, and it ran well for a about a month. There is no power that I can tell to the original wire to the pump and the fuel level sending unit. To help I was returning from work and it was running well, when it just died. I did not hear anything break. I still had lights and everything, but it would not run. I have changed the ignition switch, cap, rotor, plugs, plug wires, fuel filter, checked the timing chain, and have a pickup coil on the way. I also got a used ECU and no difrence. I have spark and can get it running for a few seconds with fuel or starter fluid through the intake. With the pump running if I break the cold start hose I have pressure, but not sure how much(no tester). Checked the ground wires to the injectors where they are conected with a piece of copper no corrosion. I am still trying to trace wires and I also cracked the tail pipe in front of the cat in case it was clogged. This is my first Toyota and I am trying to tap into all of the knowledge that I see here. I am used to working on mostly chevy's. I would like to fix it before I have to take it to someone. Any thought's are greatly appreciated.
Old 04-07-2010, 12:25 AM

So the fuel pump is functioning?

Just the 99% of the time when an engine runs with starter fluid or something along that lines it is a fuel pump or fuel pump circuit issue.

Last edited by milehigheric; 04-07-2010 at 12:27 AM.
Old 04-07-2010, 01:33 PM

The pump is working and I do believe it is somewhere in the circuit somewhere. Just dont know where to go next to check.
Old 04-07-2010, 10:42 PM

Turn your ignition to on, open the flap on the VAFM (the intake air flow meter) and you should hear the pump running. If not then you have a faulty VAFM. It's signal is what keeps the pump on after cranking has finished.

It could also be the circuit opening relay, 2 very common problems...
Old 04-08-2010, 12:21 AM

Thanks milehigheric I am going to check that later today when I get up and trace some more wires. I got some stuff off another post tonight to try also. I will update tonight where I am at. Thanks again.
Old 04-08-2010, 06:35 PM

I put some grounds to the engine and it helped, but still will not stay running. I am wondering if the VAFM is supposed to jump while trying to start the engine? It make me think it might be the VAFM. I am going to try to find one in a junkyard tomorrow, since I cant find anyone with the same set up to try it on mine. Also if the VAFM is not working right will it keep the injectors from pulsating? I am also going to go through some of the other posts again.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:46 PM

Injectors are independent direct from the ECM.

There is a heap of information on the fuel pump system on this forum so searching is your friend. I know personally I have explained it 3-4 times to various people on this forum lol. Anyway, the fuel pump operates via the circuit opening relay (under the dash). It is a duel coil relay and has to triggers...one is the VAFM, the other is the starter wire. When you engage the starter (key to start) the COR turns the pump on. Whilst you are cranking, your engine starts to suck and opens the flapper on the VAFM. This holds the relay closed so that the fuel pump stays on. Without it, it will just turn off.

With a faulty VAFM you should get an engine start, although it will die just after you turn the key back to on.
Old 05-10-2010, 12:59 AM

milehigheric I finally found the problem. It was the plug for the EFI fuse to the Relay. It was corroded and had power coming in, so it showed good, but did not have power going out. Also the power to the pump is working again. So now I am back on the road and still working a little at a time to get it the way I want it. Thanks alot for your help.