86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

88 toyota pickup 4x4 headlights

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2014, 03:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
88 toyota pickup 4x4 headlights

Hi guys, been doing some searching and can't find anything. I recently bought an 88 Toyota pickup 4x4 with 22re. The issue is I can't find any plugs or a wires or anything on the truck that goes to the headlights they are just gone. The plugs to the lower turn signal are still there. But not the headlights. I would just run my own wires but I don't even know where to start. If I knew where they originated from I think I could get them working, any help is very much appreciated.
Old 11-11-2014, 04:46 PM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Start by:
1) UNwrapping the loom coming out of the engine compartment fuse block. Then take pictures of wires coming out of that. Use Photobucket for best results.
2) Find H4 connectors from store or online. These connect to back of headlight bulbs Ceramic ones are good because they withstand heat better.

Do tail lights/dash/marker come on?
Old 11-11-2014, 05:03 PM

Okay I will take the pictures tomorrow, thank you. And see I was going to use an h4 conversion harness and h4 headlights and bulbs thinking that would solve my issue but what I read on the kit is it needs at least one oem factory plug to work, I can add a plug no problem if i know what wires to add the plug to, yes the corner lights work great and the brake lights too
Old 11-11-2014, 05:05 PM

The dash lights work as well
Old 11-11-2014, 05:14 PM

Just noticed something the only thing that I found that may help me is something I found from you radrunner lol kinda crazy. It's a electrical diagram you uploaded here on yotatech I found while searching earlier today i saved the image and when I looked at it again a minute ago noticed your screen name associated with it.
Old 11-11-2014, 05:35 PM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Originally Posted by Blue8seven
...use an h4 conversion harness...
Very sound decision. More beneficial than simply replacing light housing

... needs at least one oem factory plug to work, I can add a plug no problem ...
NAH! H4 conversion is a clean upgrade to stock. Very little chance you'd want to go back. Just hard-wire control inputs of harness to existing headlight wires (once you found them). Buy stock connector only IF, and only IF, you decide to go back to stock.

... yes the corner lights work great and the brake lights too...
...The dash lights work as well
Good! You probably just need to find those wires.
BTW, brake lights take power from separate circuit.

Just noticed something the only thing that I found that may help me is something I found from you radrunner
LOL! Yep that's me. I like illustrations. Hard to figure out wiring, etc from plain words

Keep us posted.

Happy Veterans' Day- OOORAAH!
Old 11-12-2014, 06:09 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I was going to use an h4 conversion harness and h4 headlights and bulbs thinking that would solve my issue
That is a fantastic option, just stay away from the cheaper relay kits like Putco. (Beware- The same kit is marketed under different names using different colored wire- Using an image search will help compare)
The Putco relay harness is garbage through and through. This is an area of you get what you pay for.

I purchased a Putco relay harness to use with 100w bulbs because some reviewers with Jeeps stated that it was inexpensive and uses 12awg wire. - It says so on the internet, it must be true - When it arrived I didn't like the looks of it so I cut it apart to investigate. It in fact does say good for up to 100w bulbs on the package but what I found- No, no no.

The relays are Taiwan made rated for 20A, the Taiwan wire is approximately 16awg, and it uses plastic H4 connectors. None of that is good for 100w bulbs.
I guess if all a person wanted to use is stock 55/60w bulbs it might be ok, but just don't go above that and expect reliability or drastically brighter lights. In fact I've even read of those relays not lasting long with stock 55/60w bulbs.

Last edited by Odin; 11-12-2014 at 07:20 AM.
Old 11-12-2014, 02:31 PM

Thank you Odin for the heads up on the cheap conversion harness, I will be steering clear of those. Rad4runner i just checked under the hood and I unwound the loom and found a red+green wire red+black wire and red+yellow wire staring at me so I believe I'm in business now, thank you for the diagram that helped a lot being able to see what I needed.