Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

86 pickup 4x4 auto transmission help please

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 09:39 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Oh, sorry ma'am. And hey baby......lol (kidding)
You got a toyota...your all the same to me.
Old 02-03-2013, 09:42 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
North of Santa Cruz, South of Oakland.... Bit too far. CL OR SWAP IT, imho. DO NOT spend 1500 $ having that trans rebuilt...... PLEASE? Lol. Jk, some ppl prefer auto, I get that. Fluid isnt THAT pricey.... but pulling that thung to do a seal??? Eeeek, that sux. Thats when I would use it as an excuse to swap in a W56 or such.
Old 02-03-2013, 09:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm used to it. apology accepted. And I do all my own work on my vehicles and my families vehicles. I go to school for mechanics, but we don't cover transmissions for 3 more months so I'm lost on it. I've only changed fluids and clutches before
Old 02-03-2013, 09:48 AM

If I keep it I'm going to gear the t-case while it'sdown, if I need new probably CL, all depends on damage and price. Keep me posted if you see anyone selling transmissions cheap on cl on my area if you're ever looking.
Old 02-03-2013, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by bruno4turbo
I'm used to it. apology accepted. And I do all my own work on my vehicles and my families vehicles. I go to school for mechanics, but we don't cover transmissions for 3 more months so I'm lost on it. I've only changed fluids and clutches before
Oh...maybe you could get your school to do the trans as a class project?

When I smoked my mach1 4.6 dohc....one of my ex helpers was going to school at Ranken tech, they rebuilt my motor as a project in thier new high performance class. Enabled me to buy really nice parts and free labor!
Old 02-03-2013, 09:51 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by bruno4turbo
Ahhhhhhhh, I think im in love, sight unseen!!! Hahahha.... Ok, im exaggerating. ......mostly, lol. ..but that is great! Another Sassy sister with toyotaticulitus! Habanero has another comradette! Lol.

Wish I knew someone up in that area for parts, maybe even for a hand in wrenching.... Lil slim on ppl I know/sellers I know up there. Philbert is in Pleasanton........... hmmmmmmmm.
Old 02-03-2013, 09:54 AM

I can't until I'm in transmissions class, and they don't normally let students bring in their own stuff for rebuild until after we successfully do it on a class one, case we mess up they don't want to be held accountable
Old 02-03-2013, 09:57 AM

You should start a build thread in build up section and post some pics of the bigbird yellow beast.

Let us know about confirming the trans leak...then we will go from there.

Bad thing is...once an auto tranny goes on you...you can never trust an auto completly again. You will listen to every shift...etc...forever. Like you have post traumatic transmission failure syndrome.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:09 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by HighLux
Like you have post traumatic transmission failure syndrome.
PTTFS.....nice one HighLux.

Bruno, glad to see you're getting some direction in your thread here from some who have dealt with auto tranny issues. Sorry for sounding a bit harsh over in the "Post your Pics" thread earlier today. Peace.

'scribed to see how it goes.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:14 AM

Alls well, I just didn't know where to go at first, figured someone would point me in the right direction. And as for PTTFS lol. I already had that, I have a sickness of needing to figure out every noise, shudder or out ofordinary anythingon vehicles. That's why I went for mechanics school, might as well make money on my obsession
Old 02-03-2013, 11:36 AM

Only update I have right now is we got a trailer, and I can at least get home. I'll start build thread when I get home to my laptop, thanks guys for the help
Old 02-03-2013, 11:45 AM

No problem...its nice to be able to help when I can. I know this site has helped me alot...even if its something I fixed and never commented on.

Cant wait to see bigbird. Yes..thats what I named your truck.
Old 02-03-2013, 11:49 AM

it is painted canary yellow... but my trucks name is turbo. But as long as a name is said in a non malicious way then I don't really mind
Old 02-03-2013, 11:53 AM

hmm...canary....bird....yellow....xcab.... =bigbird....non maliciously of course.
Old 02-03-2013, 11:58 AM

"Bigbird" would entitle my truck to be big... I have the smallest truck in the family lol. My mom has an 01 f250 quad cab 3"lift. My brother has an 05 quad cab power wagon 6" lift.... You get the idea
Old 02-03-2013, 12:06 PM

Hmm....... Small trucks.... You like small guys...... Lol.... Just messing with ya... Sure wish my wife was more like you. She loves 4wheeling but hates wrenching....

Anyhow to stay on track if you do decide to go with a 5spd take your time and choose a good model. Anything from 84 to 95 Is a direct bolt in. Although you wanna stay away from the g-series in my opinion. I swapped my rig from a auto to a 5spd and I love it. My first tranny was a g-fifty-junk. I now have a w56 that I love. But like I said if you do swap it and need help or suggestions let me know. There's others on here that's swap out auto for standards as well. So they can help ya too. Just keep us posted.
Old 02-03-2013, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by Toyota~Boy
Hmm....... Small trucks.... You like small guys...... Lol.... Just messing with ya... Sure wish my wife was more like you. She loves 4wheeling but hates wrenching....

Anyhow to stay on track if you do decide to go with a 5spd take your time and choose a good model. Anything from 84 to 95 Is a direct bolt in. Although you wanna stay away from the g-series in my opinion. I swapped my rig from a auto to a 5spd and I love it. My first tranny was a g-fifty-junk. I now have a w56 that I love. But like I said if you do swap it and need help or suggestions let me know. There's others on here that's swap out auto for standards as well. So they can help ya too. Just keep us posted.

w56 comes in different flavors...forward and top shift. They will bolt up...but not a direct fit. Saying 84-95 will fit is misinformation.
Old 02-03-2013, 12:14 PM

There's a couple auto trannys for sale on cl. for pretty reasonable, so if I need a new tranny I'll probably snag one of those, if there's complications tho I'll look into swapping, I wanted a manual to begin with
Old 02-03-2013, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by HighLux

w56 comes in different flavors...forward and top shift. They will bolt up...but not a direct fit. Saying 84-95 will fit is misinformation.
Yeah that is true. Sorry I did forget about that lol.
Old 02-03-2013, 12:21 PM

Id pop an auto in it if it ends up needing it. Get back on the road. Manual swap is gonna keep it down for awhile till you gather all the stuff. Trans/transfercase/mounts/pedals/clutch/slave/master...etc.

Get that code off your trans and make sure they match up or are compatible.
Same year...would be even better. Make sure the used trans you get came from a wreck if possible...wrecked cars trannies were wroking when they crashed! And dont forget torque converter. check that used tranny has reasonablt clean unburned fluid.

Quick Reply: 86 pickup 4x4 auto transmission help please