Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

4Runner Clutch Replacement, Clutch not engaging

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 10:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool 4Runner Clutch Replacement, Clutch not engaging

Hello,

I have a 1990 4Runner that I just replaced the clutch disc, plate, and throwout bearing on, here are the symptoms.

-Won't go into gear when the car is running
-goes into gear when the car is not running
-Will not start in gear

I replaced the master cylinder before the clutch several months ago due to different problems, but I still have an older slave cylinder. I believe that I bled the slave cylinder line correctly but when I push the clutch in it feels really weak.

I've read some other forums and I've checked the clutch bracket, adjustment, and the master cylinder was replaced several months ago before the clutch due to other problems.

also for some reason I cannot get the transfer case shift lever back in, and I don't know if that's related or not. Any help would be appreciated
Old 05-15-2012, 10:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Clutch disc backwards. It can go in either way, but there is only one way to install it.
Old 05-15-2012, 10:43 AM

I'm fairly certain it's in the right way. However I could be horribly wrong, what makes you think it's in backwards?
Old 05-15-2012, 10:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Because if the raised part of the clutch disc is faced towards the flywheel it hits the flywheel bolts and makes it like the clutch is always engaged. Been there and done it.
Old 05-15-2012, 10:48 AM

˟˟˟˟, that sucks. Any chance it could be the slave cylinder? My clutch pedal is extraordinarily weak
Old 05-15-2012, 07:09 PM

he's right. YOu have it backwards. I HAVE been there and done that as well.. Another confirmation is when it is in neutral, does it sound like something is grinding?? If so that I am 100% sure it's the disc in backwards.. And when you pull it apart again, you will see that the disc springs have been rubbing on the flywheel bolts

Sorry dude that really sucks.
Old 05-28-2012, 10:51 AM

Hey guys thanks for the responses! I tore apart the drive train again and the clutch disc was indeed in backwards which was extremely frustrating! So yeah the problem is now fixed, thanks again!
Old 05-28-2012, 10:59 AM

This is a random problem, but I can't seem to get my transfer case shift lever back into place. Any tips or suggestions?

It seems like it should be fairly easy yet I've spent a ridiculous amount of time trying to get it back into place and all it does is wiggle around uselessly.
Old 08-12-2012, 06:05 PM

I don't mean to jack the thread, but I installed my clutch in the right direction. Mine will let me in gear, running or not but the clutchpedal is very light. No noises or grinding. RPM's even drop very slightly like they did before when you let the clutch out in neutral. Won't move an inch, except when I pushed it out of my garage. I should mention that I drained my gearbox to put new sythetic in, and discovered I can't get a bottle up to the filler hole, so she's empty until I get a tube to put on the bottle to squeeze the oil into it. I hope it is something stupidly simple, If I have to take down my trans/transfer case again I will push it off a cliff first. I have owned her since 1998, but one of us won't survive all the projects I have lined up in the next month if I have these kinds of problems regularly. I work on lots of different cars, even the BMW's don't give me as much grief as my Toyota.
Old 08-12-2012, 06:21 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
4wd, right? transfer case stuck in neutral?

If it's in gear, can you move the truck by hand?
Old 08-13-2012, 05:00 AM

Thanks for the quick reply. Thankfully, I am just an idiot, and forgot to put the case back in gear after my friend was bolting the driveshaft to it. The clutch feels super-light, but it engages and moves the truck like it should. I am getting a piece of tubing to put gear oil in today, and I will update if there are any further issues after I drive it. The box said it was a Sachs clutch, but everything was labeled Valeo. I read your post last night, and my computer died too quickly for me to respond, but I went straight ou tto check it. As I said in my earlier post, I was hoping it was stupidly simple, It just turns out that it was me who was! Thanks again.