3.0 almost road worthy- ticking noise

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 11:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3.0 almost road worthy- ticking noise

hello everyone
I almost have a driveable truck but have one or two little problems still
first I started with a 1990 pick up 3.0
replaced the head gasket, injectors rebuilt, intake silencer removed, cheep cone filter, downey headers, maga flow 2.5 inch cat, cheep flow master type muffler and total including truck am still at $2000 my goal for this project
but my goal was to have something to drive and I am not there yet.

I also deleted the egr with a block off plates on the header and intake manifold but have not done the resistor yet (possibly part of my problem)

SO I got the exhust on today and reset the timing, useing the little jumper wire, and set it right at 0. The motor runs and idles and seems the raise in RPM fine when the clutch is in or in N but when driving around the block I have next to no power it moves 5-10 mph in 1st but can barely handle 2nd.
not sure what to do next. No check engine light or anything

My other concern is a loud tick or clicking sound that seems to come from the from the front of the engine. you can here is from 20-30 feet away. I don't belive that it was there when I only had the headers but is was so loud then maybe it was just covered up. I think all of my header bolts are tight but I am sure that is where I should check first. what else could sound like that.

well I work all week so I have more time to research then to wrench.. any sugestions would be great
thanks
Old 12-01-2006, 05:29 AM

one more quick question does anyone know what may idle and timing need to be set at, yea I know the underhood sticker but I can find it thanks I think that might be part of my problem
Old 12-01-2006, 06:04 AM

10 degrees BTDC for timing at 800 RPM (not sure on rpm).
Old 12-01-2006, 06:04 AM

and does someone have a link to the EGR resistor mod?
Old 12-01-2006, 07:45 AM

thanks
I will send you the resitor link when i go back to work tonight. got them to day $1 for 5
Old 12-01-2006, 07:50 AM

make sure you didn't get 1 tooth off on the timing belt. can happen pretty easy.
Old 12-01-2006, 10:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
with the timing set to 0deg it won't have any power
stock is 8deg, I run near 20, though I've got a lot more mods.
Old 12-01-2006, 02:28 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Travel Dodge
...useing the little jumper wire, and set it right at 0...
There is your problem!! 3.0 stock timing is 10*BTDC. Reset to that and try again.

Last edited by Bumpin' Yota; 12-01-2006 at 02:29 PM.
Old 12-01-2006, 02:41 PM

and set it right at 0.
That's pretty retarded. Stock is 10 BTDC. A lot of people (including myself) run it at 12 BTDC.

Last edited by ChickenLover; 12-01-2006 at 02:49 PM.
Old 12-01-2006, 03:49 PM

thanks
I will send you the resitor link when i go back to work tonight. got them to day $1 for 5

Thanks much.
Old 12-01-2006, 04:14 PM

cool, I thought that I might not be setting it where I needed. With no underhood sticker I was guessing that zero was the way to go. I will reset it and see were I am at. This is a great site. I can't wait till I can say I drive a toyota as well.
Old 12-01-2006, 07:56 PM

alright I am at work and can't find where I bookmarked the link or can't even find it by searching.
the story goes that the ECU needs to think the the EGR is functioning properly to do that you disconect the wire going to the EGR valve and place this resistor from one lead to the other. the link said
1/4 watt, 10k ohm resistor
that come in a pack of 5 for .99 at any radio shack (even my radio shack had them in the ski town I live in they never have what I am looking for) the link says after that just unplug the vacum tube and plug it. I removed the whole thing. If anyone else can find the link please post it.
Old 12-02-2006, 06:37 PM

wow timing is important,, set it at 12* and it works great, still a bit of a clicking rattleing in the exhust but it is just clamped together and not very well at that. drives nice thou, just need to get out the welder and tighten everything up. Thanks again guys,, great site
Old 12-08-2006, 03:50 AM

ok so it runs good but still "sound like a hellicopter" load ticking sound. Seems like the exhust is tight so I am not sure where it is coming from. I know that they are far apart but, it seems like the front near the fan or the middle of the tranny. not quite sure what it could be, I have an electric fan which I plan to set up so if it is the fan clutch I can get rid of that other wise I am not quite sure. happens when I push on the gas regardless of if it is in gear or not. might still be exhust but not sure where else to look. Anyone with this problem in the past?

also the steering is sloppy, when I turn the wheel there seems to be extra play. not sure if this is the U joint in the steering shaft or somewhere else

thanks again this site has been so much help
Old 12-08-2006, 02:37 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Check the bolts secruing the fan to what it bolts to...that doohicky with all the fins. Youll get a weird arse rattling from that fan if those 4 bolts arent anchorded down.

Also check where the down pipe bolts up to the tranny - make sure those are tight as well as the clamp ring on the bracket that bolts to the tranny.
Old 12-08-2006, 03:44 PM

One way I use to narrow down a noise is to take a long screwdriver, put the handle to your ear and touch different areas of the motor VERY CAREFULLY. USE CAUTION. MOVING PARTS.
timing cover, valve covers, oil pan etc.
JUST BE VERY CAREFUL
Old 12-11-2006, 10:57 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Link for the resistor on EGR sensor....

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...ake+the+sensor

See the second page
Old 12-11-2006, 11:35 AM
Contributing Member

the screw driver trick works the same with a 2X2 stick of lumber... a little longer and safer....... i am just clumsy
Old 12-18-2006, 02:04 AM

it still sounds like a helacoppter. gone thru all the bolts on the headers, and no luck, switched to the elecetric fan, no luck. I have been driving it for the past few weeks and it runs great but just sounds bad, has anyone else had this issue with doweny headers?
Old 12-18-2006, 02:16 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have Downey headers . . . . and I've got an annoying ticking noise. However, I don't think my ticking is a header issue. I did some exploration with a mechanics stethoscope and I'm convinced I have a very noisy injector. I had my injectors cleaned and balanced and new o-rings and seals installed. I wonder if I'm getting air in this injector causing the racket. The noise sort of comes and goes.

I snugged up my headers after a short run time. I made sure to tighten them from the center out. I don't think I have any leaks.

Quick Reply: 3.0 almost road worthy- ticking noise