Sponsored by: DashLynx

22RE running bad after new timing chain

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 12:41 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by ozziesironmanoffroad
get a friggin timin light! lol. make sure its at about 8degres b4 TDC (i think thats what the factruoy reocomends, adjsut as yoyum will). id be willin to bert your prob,em ois with with the inekctors
And im willing to bet your problem is with the Beer. lol.

Injectors would not cause the timing chain to snap. Factory setting is 5' BTDC with the check connector short circuited at idle.

Old 01-26-2008, 12:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DEath cougar. thanks for the reply, and thanks for understanding that there are obvious other issues i need to address b4 i HAVE TO GO GET a timing light.. lol
I haven't even opened the hood today do to lack of motivation, that and my hands look like they could use a day not covered in oil and grease.
As far as the timing chain breaking and damaging valves i understand the situation. however i have had the good fortune in the past to snap timing belts and not damage anything. i know the odds are against me.
i know that i aligned the timing gears properly initially and the second time around i was even more sure. I really need to do a compression test to verify the damaged valves. However i did run this truck 12 miles back to my house last night and although it was running crappy i did make it home... and i don't think that would have been possible to do with bent valves.
i wil update everyone when i get back in there..

again, thank you , thank you for you input.
Old 01-26-2008, 01:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
oh, i didnt realize he snapped the chain. but you dont ALWAYS bend valves when you snap a chain. it USUALLY happens, but not always. but yeah id be checkin your valves. and deathcougar, it wasnt beer... i set sail with the captain... lol. captain morgans a great guy
Old 01-26-2008, 01:17 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
I prefer my old friend Gin.
Old 01-27-2008, 11:32 AM

yeeehaaa

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...verify-135923/
Old 01-27-2008, 11:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yuck, i cant stand gin.. sorry DC. tastes like windex
Old 01-27-2008, 12:42 PM
Contributing Member

I'm in the middle of what you are doing now with a project truck (thank goodness, because I can take my time).

The PO told me that the timing chain had snapped in the 22re and sure enough, it had. After replacing the chain, I did a compression test to help give me a better idea of the condition of the valve(s). Anyway, the first 3 cylinders had 0 compression and the 4th one had 170psi. squirting oil in the first 3 cylinders did not yield any improvement with compression. On top of that, I had milkshake in the engine (coolant and oil mixing). Since the 3rd spark plug looked far too clean compared to the other three, I'm guessing that the HG blew around that cylinder.

I just removed the head today and sure enough I could see where the valves hit the pistons in cylinders 1 and 2.

I am quite sure that you have bent valves. Doing a compression test may help give you a better idea of the condition of your valves. BTW, I was also able to run the truck with compression in only one cylinder and it sounded good once the revs were above about 2000 rpm.

Last edited by YotaJunky; 01-27-2008 at 05:06 PM.
Old 01-27-2008, 12:52 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by 22REFORME
DEath cougar. thanks for the reply, and thanks for understanding that there are obvious other issues i need to address b4 i HAVE TO GO GET a timing light.. lol
I haven't even opened the hood today do to lack of motivation, that and my hands look like they could use a day not covered in oil and grease.
As far as the timing chain breaking and damaging valves i understand the situation. however i have had the good fortune in the past to snap timing belts and not damage anything. i know the odds are against me.
i know that i aligned the timing gears properly initially and the second time around i was even more sure. I really need to do a compression test to verify the damaged valves. However i did run this truck 12 miles back to my house last night and although it was running crappy i did make it home... and i don't think that would have been possible to do with bent valves.
i wil update everyone when i get back in there..

again, thank you , thank you for you input.
Not all motors are interference motors, though. The 3vze (i.e)......you can break belts all day and not damage any valves. The 22re is different.

Run the compression test like this to check the valves:
Take the valve cover off and back all of the valve adjuster out so that the valves close. (Well, normally they would close, but if any are bent they won't and this test will tell you.)
Anyway, then proceed to run a compression test as you would normally.
If the readings are low-zero on any given cylinder, you have bent valves.

I recently bent 4 intake and 2 exhaust valves.

Last edited by thook; 01-27-2008 at 12:55 PM.
Old 01-27-2008, 12:54 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by ozziesironmanoffroad
yuck, i cant stand gin.. sorry DC. tastes like windex
That's why you add grapefruit juice......yummmmm!
Old 01-27-2008, 03:06 PM

If the coolant and oil mixed, shouldn't you also be worried about the condition of your crankshaft bearings?
Old 01-27-2008, 03:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DeathCougar
I wonder how many of you actually read his post...

He BROKE the timing chain. 22R engines are INTERFERENCE engines. THerefore, if the timing chain BROKE while driving, you bent some valves.

Its pretty hard to screw up the timing on a 22R, just match up all the timing marks (IE 0 on the crank pulley, cam notch straight up) and the new timing set would have different colored links where they match to marks on the timing gears.

Best way to check the distributor: Make sure the engine is set to 0' TDC on the compression stroke, (It will not run at all if the distributor is 180 out, so you know its at least in the right place) remove the cap and make sure the rotor is pointing straight at #1 on the cap.

So, that said. If your mechanical timing is right and your distributor is in the correct location, you have a bent valve or two.

BTW for all you guys saying "get a timing light" a 22RE will run great even if its not exactly in time. You can adjust it from lock to lock on the distributor bolt, and it will still run good enough to drive. Not like he is describing. Fix your other problems FIRST, and THEN worry about ignition timing.
Did you actually read where he said the engine started right up?

I don't know what you're putting in your engine, but when I had bent valves I had no compression at all. And with no compression, my engine wasn't running at all.

And your comment about the 22RE running great with the timing off is also not my experience. I knew mine was advanced a little too much one morning and tried driving to work anyway because I did the timing at my Dad's house. Well long story short, the engine was pinging really bad so I pulled over and just barely bumped the timing back the other way and the engine wouldn't drive at all. 3 more bumps in different directions and I hobbled back over to Dad's and put his light on it. 5 degrees either way and at least my motor runs like complete ass.

But as always, ymmv...