86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

22RE Intake Pipe Radiator Hose Clearance Solution

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2022, 01:01 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
22RE Intake Pipe Radiator Hose Clearance Solution

Didn't see if anybody had this noted on here already, but I sorted out a cheap bolt-on fix for the intake pipe elbow interfering with the radiator hose that some people have encountered, but this only applies to those with the '89-'95 style intake plenum that aims the throttlebody opening horizontally forward rather than the angled down orientation of the '84-'88 version.

Due to said intake plenum / throttlebody differences, the '84-'88 intake pipe has 2 bends in it rather than the single bend shape of the '89-'95 pipe. The openings are the same, so no other parts need to be changed. The '84-'88 intake pipe with its extra bend allows it to dodge up and over the radiator hose, but then curve back downward slightly so as to be coupled to the long plastic pipe that runs over the fan shroud.

I replaced my radiator with a RockAuto replacement unit intended for a V6 7 years ago, and I figured the larger size was the cause for the intake pipe's interference with the radiator hose. I'm sure it wasn't helping, but of course there was some interference to begin with since Toyota even put a piece of foam insulation around that upper radiator hose right where it'd contact the intake pipe. My OEM intake pipe became heavily distorted from years of mashing against piping hot rad hose, and I was always concerned that sooner or later it'd break the plastic radiator tank, so I recently bought an ebay all-aluminum 3 row radiator meant for 22RE rather than V6. However, the hose interference is just as bad, so I began looking at my options for a different intake pipe.

From poking around online, I happened to come across the different shape of the '84-'88 version, but didn't know if something about the older pipe made it incompatible with the '89-'95 style version on my '94. Googling didn't return any confirmation, but visually they looked similar enough that, at only $11.48 shipped from ebay, I figured it was a low risk gamble. The part number I ordered was SK696707, and it works perfectly fine.

Perhaps worth mentioning, I don't believe the condition of the cab mounts and motor mounts affected the clearance, as I had put new polyurethane cab mounts on 3 years ago (w/ no body lift, might I add) and new motor/trans mounts were installed before that.

Before/after comparison pics:

Before

After

Before

After