86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

22RE Guys- tailpipe inspection...

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 12:38 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
22RE Guys- tailpipe inspection...

With other vehicles I've owned the tailpipes are usaully clean or grey or very little amount or soot. My 1990 has a fairly sooty tailpipe, plugs are a perfect tan, new NTK o2. Don't have a gas analyzer here, but just wondered if this is just normal. Just wasted fuel to me.
Old 04-14-2009, 12:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check the AFM(?)...see if the resistance is good on the plugs...
Old 04-14-2009, 07:37 PM

Location: Cincinnati, Ohio - Amelia is the exact place. There is no one else on this site from where I am. Seems like everyone is from Cali or Washington. I guess I need to move.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
depends on how much you clean your tailpipe. If you rub your finger in the best running motor your going to get soot, thats what causes pollution its inevitable. I had it with my 72 nova, 89 honda, 2000 mustang gt, and my 89 yota. all ran/still run great just gotta clean that ish up. If your rig dont run like ish your good, if you got a carb adjust it, maybe running to rich, but if 22re deal with it
Old 04-14-2009, 07:38 PM

Location: Cincinnati, Ohio - Amelia is the exact place. There is no one else on this site from where I am. Seems like everyone is from Cali or Washington. I guess I need to move.
ok just saw it was fuel injected. its burn off dont worry about it.
Old 04-14-2009, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by davefarr
With other vehicles I've owned the tailpipes are usaully clean or grey or very little amount or soot. My 1990 has a fairly sooty tailpipe, plugs are a perfect tan, new NTK o2. Don't have a gas analyzer here, but just wondered if this is just normal. Just wasted fuel to me.
Did you mean NGK?
Old 04-15-2009, 07:17 AM

What is 'ish', and I don't know what you mean by 'burnoff'. I know about the air pump- but that to me means it feeding the cat and that's more reason to have a relatively clean tailpipe.

In the NGK spark plug line- their O2 sensors are the NTK brand here- don't ask me why...

If I had a gas analyser and I knew the truck was running rich overall- I would screw with the AFM- but I don't. To many BIG problems running too lean.
Old 04-15-2009, 07:25 AM

I have also been told that the 22re was never designed for mileage....different era.
That said, and it apparantly applies to the v6 as well is that a good cam will work very well.
I've tuned the truck and it runs very good- so being injection.....not much I can do other than put an aftermarket ecm in there and tune with wideband.
Have a head here ready to go on- those intake ports are pretty ugly.
Old 04-15-2009, 10:58 AM

What is 'ish', and I don't know what you mean by 'burnoff'. I know about the air pump- but that to me means it feeding the cat and that's more reason to have a relatively clean tailpipe.

In the NGK spark plug line- their O2 sensors are the NTK brand here- don't ask me why...

If I had a gas analyser and I knew the truck was running rich overall- I would screw with the AFM- but I don't. To many BIG problems running too lean.
Not sure what you mean by air pump...what my suggestion was to check the read outs (resistance) on the AFM to make sure they are good, may be a bad AFM...just a thought...doesnt necessarily mean you have to "mess" with it...check the FSM at the top of the 86-95 page

Oh, and by "ish" i think he meant an expletive....and burnoff is generally the stuff coming out of the tail pipe
Old 04-15-2009, 12:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 894x4pickup
Not sure what you mean by air pump...what my suggestion was to check the read outs (resistance) on the AFM to make sure they are good, may be a bad AFM...just a thought...doesnt necessarily mean you have to "mess" with it...check the FSM at the top of the 86-95 page

Oh, and by "ish" i think he meant an expletive....and burnoff is generally the stuff coming out of the tail pipe
I'm assuming, what he means by an air-pump is part of the older air injection system. On older models and some late '80s cali-carb'ed models, the air was pushed into the exhaust by way of pump rather than pulled in by the Venturi effect of the exhaust gas pulse. So really he shouldn't have an air pump, unless it was some weird Canada emission's thing
Old 04-15-2009, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by toyota4x4907
I'm assuming, what he means by an air-pump is part of the older air injection system. On older models and some late '80s cali-carb'ed models, the air was pushed into the exhaust by way of pump rather than pulled in by the Venturi effect of the exhaust gas pulse. So really he shouldn't have an air pump, unless it was some weird Canada emission's thing
He said it was a 1990, later he said 22re...

But ok, your talking carbed...
Old 04-15-2009, 01:02 PM

Ok...ok....lets just call it air injection") Pretty neat, I'm used to the older GM hardware- the first thing to disconnect.
Old 04-15-2009, 01:06 PM

Ok...ok....lets just call it air injection").
Its an AFM....Air Flow Meter...

Pretty neat, I'm used to the older GM hardware- the first thing to disconnect.

What do you mean by disconnect...? You mean check it??
Old 04-15-2009, 01:08 PM

He said it was a 1990, later he said 22re...

But ok, your talking carbed...
I know he said it was a '90 22re. I was telling you what he possibly meant by air pump and that MAYBE, though unlikely AFAIK, that some Canada models could have air pumps instead of the PAIR system.

Old 04-15-2009, 01:11 PM

Its an AFM....Air Flow Meter...

What do you mean by disconnect...? You mean check it??
Lol. We're talking about totally different things. Yes, AFM= Air Flow Meter. We're talking about the Air Injection System. Its part of emissions. Pulse Secondary Injection, Air Injection blah blah blah. You know that small tube on 22res that goes from the air cleaner housing and snakes around under the intake manifold? Thats part of this system. You know that coppery looking tube on the top of the exhaust manifold? Thats part of this system
Old 04-15-2009, 01:21 PM

Yes my emissions is the same as yours for a 1990 22re efi.

The antique GM emissions was like- take the belt off and throw the pump out, something like 10hp gained right there, nobody cared about emissions- and if I could gain that on the Toyota I'd throw out the air injection too, no inspection here.

And yes I do know the AFM- I have tried a spare with no difference in performance- but I'll check it anyway.
Old 04-15-2009, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by toyota4x4907
Lol. We're talking about totally different things. Yes, AFM= Air Flow Meter. We're talking about the Air Injection System. Its part of emissions. Pulse Secondary Injection, Air Injection blah blah blah. You know that small tube on 22res that goes from the air cleaner housing and snakes around under the intake manifold? Thats part of this system. You know that coppery looking tube on the top of the exhaust manifold? Thats part of this system
And this system is called EGR...

I have no idea how we got onto that....my very first idea was to check the resistance on the AFM per the FSM rules....to check to see if its running rich...would something be wrong with the EGR to cause this??? Im thinking clogged something now...
Old 04-15-2009, 01:38 PM

And this system is called EGR...

I have no idea how we got onto that....my very first idea was to check the resistance on the AFM per the FSM rules....to check to see if its running rich...would something be wrong with the EGR to cause this??? Im thinking clogged something now...
EGR is different than the PAIR system. The EGR actually takes gases from the head, not the exhaust manifold. That piping on the top of the exhaust manifold is actually letting air INTO the exhaust, not pulling exhaust out. Sorry. I didn't mean to be rude. I was trying to explain what the air-pump was.

Davefarr, theres no air-pump on the 22re so you won't get any gains by taking a non-existent thing off I do hear if you paint the valve cover red you gain anywhere between 12 and 17 HP though......

Last edited by toyota4x4907; 04-15-2009 at 01:39 PM.
Old 04-15-2009, 01:53 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I just said this in another thread:

Originally Posted by Dirt Driver
The tailpipe color isn't a useful indicator of engine tune and has more to do with the emissions equipment function. Even a late model OBD-II car in perfect tune will have tailpipe soot if the cats are working less than optimally. My '94 runs well, gets good economy, has a tan plug color, and still has a black tailpipe.
I will also add that my truck has 200,000mi+ on the stock cat and passes CA emissions. Also, oxygen sensors manufactured under NGK's semiconductor division are all branded NTK, not just in Canada. I have one in my truck.

Last edited by Dirt Driver; 04-15-2009 at 01:59 PM.
Old 04-15-2009, 03:55 PM

Yes there's nothing like factory cat's- nothing like their price too")

Is there anything faster than red, how about hot pink- has to top 20hp if you're secure enough to use it")
Old 04-16-2009, 07:48 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
yeah, 600+ for a cat from the dealer? uh... no. not when I can get a magnaflow for just over 200 installed... and a calif spec'd one at that... next best thing to oem. actually, with cali's new laws it's about the same.