Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

22r not getting fuel

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2022, 12:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 22r not getting fuel

Hey all,

The other day I was driving my 1987 pickup with the 22r. As I was driving the truck abruptly shut off.

I checked spark and everything and it was fine then came to the conclusion of no fuel (sprayed down the carb) and it would stay running only while being sprayed with fluid.

Here is my issue, I pulled the line going from the mechanical pump and saw no fuel coming from the pump into the carb. Next I sprayed compressed air through the pickup and return fuel lines - it bubbled in the tank and shot back out near the engine.

Here is where I'm getting confused - I went out and bought a new mechanical fuel pump, installed it and I am still getting no fuel when cranking - I might have installed it wrong and its not sitting where it should, need to check tomorrow.

My only other guess is that the fuel filter is clogged? but my issue is, I can't seem to find the fuel filter, as I've read, it should be somewhere around the frame rail near the tank or up in the fender well somewhere, I can't for the life of me find where it is, I've searched high and low. I think the tank might be aftermarket/changed out as there's a ground running to it? I might be overthinking it though.

Anyways, is it possible that there's a fuel filter inside the tank instead and its possibly plugged enough for the fuel pump not to pull gas but the compressed air was strong enough to send air in and gas back out?

It has to be the pump not installed correctly or a clogged fuel filter right? any other ideas?
Old 04-04-2022, 08:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
any ideas?
Old 04-04-2022, 10:40 AM

Received 637 Likes on 513 Posts
The fuel filter is on the main fore-aft frame rail, just behind the passenger side rear wheel well. It faces outboard.
Make certain you pinch off the gas lines before you remove them, or you get a facefull of gasoline. Don't ask how, I just know. <ahem>
The filter is just a generic cheapie, and, while not clear, is a slightly hazy plastic. You can see if it's clogged pretty easy. You'll see little tiny pieces of whatever in the bottom of the filter. That's a good indicator it's clogged, or at least restricted.

When you put the new fuel pump on, did the arm that goes into the engine to work the pump have some resistance? Even if it's fully extended, it will still be in contact with the cam, so you'll feel it press on the arm, even if it's just slightly.

The fuel lines, where they come out of the tank, are metal, and corrosion prone. You'll need to drop the tank to check them. Even a small leak can cause a lack of fuel in the lines at first. Thus, you need to crank longer than normal to get the fuel up to the carb.

Good luck!
Pat☺