86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

1989 4Runner 22RE no power - can't pass smog

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2014, 10:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1989 4Runner 22RE no power - can't pass smog

My 1989 4Runner 22RE 5 speed failed emissions for "no power". My question to the forums is this: What would be my logical next step to check to figure out why it still lacks power? I have already adjusted the timing, and replaced the spark plugs and plug wires. Details below.

Last month I bought a 1989 4Runner 22RE 5 speed. I had to get it through emissions to get it titled and registered. The first time, they just barely started testing it, and I was failed for no rear brakes. I replaced the brakes and took it back. The second time I was failed for no brakes again (I'm going to try to bleed them again. Last time my husband didn't know to bleed from the LSPV.). However, I also failed for no power. Apparently, the truck didn't have enough power to follow the trace. In my county, the truck has to do an IM 147 test. For this test, they put the vehicle on a dynamometer and run it through different speeds. The operator has to follow a trace that tells him what speed and what gear he is supposed to be in. From what I can tell, the speeds go up to 56 mph. I was watching, and it seemed like he had no trouble on the first few sections, where the vehicle has to go up to about 30 mph. However, on the later sections, he couldn't get the truck to accelerate fast enough. When I first got the truck, I could barely get it to 55mph. I changed the spark plugs and wires, which seemed to help a little, but not astronomically. I checked the timing. It was set at about 30 degrees BTDC, so I adjusted it to 5 degrees BTDC, as recommended by the sticker under the hood. This seemed to help considerably, and I was able to get the truck up to about 62 mph on the freeway, but it was slow. Still, it seems to have less power than I remember my former 4Runner having. I'm pretty sure I should be able to accelerate on a flat surface to 65mph without much trouble.

Last edited by skippycoyote; 07-12-2014 at 10:40 AM.
Old 07-13-2014, 06:56 AM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hi. i'm a vendor here on yotatech. PM me your address and i will send you out a set of injectors.

your engine turns fuel into power. and there are 4 things that go into the combustion event. those things are air, spark, compression, and fuel. the only one that you cannot get a reading on (without extraordinary measures and specialized testing equipment) is the fuel. if all 4 of them happen in exactly the right amounts and at exactly the right time, it's magic. but it sounds like you have a failure in your mojo.

FT