Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

1987 Toyota 4Runner Turbo- Re-doing fuel system, tank, pump, lines, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 02:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1987 Toyota 4Runner Turbo- Re-doing fuel system, tank, pump, lines, etc.

So my 1987 4runner sr5 has always had a leak from somewhere around the fill spout if it sits with a full tank. I have been wanting to redo the full fuel system for years, and starting to at least get a plan together and start accumulating parts. It has the turbo 22rte engine, a 3" body lift, and also an aftermarket extra tank that has it's own fill spout in the right rear wheel well, and it sits above the spare tire. I am pretty sure that the stock fuel tank is the same for first gen 4runners regardless if 22re or 22rte. I plan on removing both tanks, blowing out an hardlines and replacing all hoses. These are my thoughts and plans so far, and had a couple questions.

-I see new aftermarket first gen 4runner fuel tanks on ebay for real cheap. Should I look into getting a brand new tank or just clean out the old tank (is there any way to clean inside a fuel tank if it has rust in it)?
-I plan to relocate the fuel filter from the stock location behind the engine. Is there an aftermarket kit for relocating the fuel filter? I could just rig up the hoses and brackets no problem unless there is a known good way to do it.
-I use Walbro 255 in pretty much all of my cars, so was gonna do that for this one too. I'm assuming it has an in tank pump, so hopefully there is a specific fitment kit I can find. Anyone know what the stock fpr max is? I have an AEM adjustable FPR so think I might use it since I have it.
-I have stock injectors that I need to get rebuilt, is there a trusted injector rebuilder on the forum?
-Any other suggestions of things to do while I'm at it?
Old 02-21-2017, 02:30 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Originally Posted by Nuyota
So my 1987 4runner sr5 has always had a leak from somewhere around the fill spout if it sits with a full tank. I have been wanting to redo the full fuel system for years, and starting to at least get a plan together and start accumulating parts. It has the turbo 22rte engine, a 3" body lift, and also an aftermarket extra tank that has it's own fill spout in the right rear wheel well, and it sits above the spare tire. I am pretty sure that the stock fuel tank is the same for first gen 4runners regardless if 22re or 22rte. I plan on removing both tanks, blowing out an hardlines and replacing all hoses. These are my thoughts and plans so far, and had a couple questions.

-I see new aftermarket first gen 4runner fuel tanks on ebay for real cheap. Should I look into getting a brand new tank or just clean out the old tank (is there any way to clean inside a fuel tank if it has rust in it)?
-I plan to relocate the fuel filter from the stock location behind the engine. Is there an aftermarket kit for relocating the fuel filter? I could just rig up the hoses and brackets no problem unless there is a known good way to do it.
-I use Walbro 255 in pretty much all of my cars, so was gonna do that for this one too. I'm assuming it has an in tank pump, so hopefully there is a specific fitment kit I can find. Anyone know what the stock fpr max is? I have an AEM adjustable FPR so think I might use it since I have it.
-I have stock injectors that I need to get rebuilt, is there a trusted injector rebuilder on the forum?
rte is a 17 gallon tank not 14.

Shake wipe and media blast, reseal seams and apply new liquid liner. Faster to buy a new one.

There is enough slack to put it on the fender.

​​​​​​​It's in the manual. Note it's a rising rate regulator, might not want to go changing it if you don't have a standalone ECU.. 27-31, and 33-38.

Witch doctor...

Old 02-21-2017, 03:09 PM

Received 805 Likes on 528 Posts
Originally Posted by Co_94_PU
rte is a 17 gallon tank not 14.

Shake wipe and media blast, reseal seams and apply new liquid liner. Faster to buy a new one.

There is enough slack to put it on the fender.

It's in the manual. Note it's a rising rate regulator, might not want to go changing it if you don't have a standalone ECU.. 27-31, and 33-38.

Witch doctor...
where do you see mention of the tank capacity? fwiw, the tank in an '87 22re 4runner is 17 gallons from the factory.

witch hunter does not warranty their work, look elsewhere, such as motorman http://www.fuelinjector.citymaker.co...51/8946608.htm , who warranty their work. i used both services, so i write from experience.
Old 02-21-2017, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by Nuyota

i'd also make sure to clean out the fuel rail.

i'd buy the normal tank, rather than repair. if the auxilliary is hard to find, maybe look into refurbishing it.
Old 02-21-2017, 06:50 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
With the body lift you may be stretching fill spout. I wouldn't invest in a new tank till inspecting current tank. I was sure I had rust but nope none at all. Soft lines from Toyota are spendy so I made my own from braided stainless steel. Finding all the metric to AN6 adaptors took some searching. I also moved fuel filter to fender and removed pressure dampener on fuel rail. Later model 22RE did not have them.

Lots of mud here. Made the bracket myself. Used scrap UHMW plastic for spacers between filter and bracket.
Old 02-21-2017, 07:49 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Originally Posted by wallytoo
where do you see mention of the tank capacity? fwiw, the tank in an '87 22re 4runner is 17 gallons from the factory.
Depends on when and where it was made ect...

Catalog has four(?) Sizes
52, 56, 65 , and 73 Liter

You'll find this information in the owners manual, but it's not 100% accurate. (Again when and where)..

Old 02-22-2017, 02:06 AM

i have the owners manual for my '87. i consistently put 15 to 16 gallons in during each fill-up.

for your information, 14.3 imperial gallons is more than 17 u.s. gallons.

Last edited by wallytoo; 02-22-2017 at 02:09 AM.
Old 03-09-2017, 04:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good suggestions guys, thanks. I actually never paid attention to the capacity of just the oem tank, since I have the two systems I just alternate fuel between the two fill spouts. Good advice to wait to see what I got in my tank before getting replacement. I like the AN stainless lines for fuel filter, nowadays you can rig up any kind of adapter with all the aluminum stuff from China. Pretty sure the oem fuel regulator is not rising rate, but I know about using rrfpr after stock fuel regulator for old school turbo vehicles.