84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles
Old 03-30-2016, 10:36 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Toyota 4Runner Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

Windshield Rust

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 05:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Windshield Rust

I am getting ready to take out my windshield to go around the whole area to get rid of the minor rust that is starting to bubble throught the paint. My question is, is there any kind of rubber seal I can put back on around the windshield instead of the 600 bucks worth of black trim that Toyota wants to sell me? I would rather have the rubber seal because it provides more resistance to moisture than the trim Toyota uses. thanks
Old 10-25-2010, 06:45 PM

Subscribed...good question. Mine leaks like a son of a gun and I was wanting to do the same thing.
Old 10-25-2010, 06:58 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
We can fix your windshield too. My help does autoglass by day.

:wabbit2:
Old 10-25-2010, 07:07 PM

Are you asking about the outer trim, or the windshield gasket? Either way, you should be able to custom fit generic trim for much cheaper... it might just take a little brute force and creativity.

I would treat the rust that you can reach without taking out the windshield first. Sooner or later you're going to crack/shatter your windshield, then you can do the full treatment while the windshield is out.
Old 10-25-2010, 07:48 PM

I had in mind to paint the 4Runner completely. I figured I might as well eliminate the rust around the windshield first. It doesn't look bad, but you never know what is under there. I don't want it getting worse.

Hey Doc, I am not talking about the seal itself, but the outer trim. A lot of vehicles have the trim/seal like all in one piece, kind of like the seal on the rear window. Do you know what I mean? If I bust the windshield fixing the surrounding body, then I get a new glass. No big deal. It has tiny rock crack at the top anyway. Thanks
Old 10-25-2010, 08:03 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
You can get the one piece rubber seal (from Australia I think), or this is what I did with mine:
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...rim/index.html

Has held up perfectly for over 6 years now, no leaks and no rust.
Old 10-26-2010, 06:37 AM

I tried to have my wind shield removed by a professional when I started my resto. and he couldn't save it. I doubt you will either also when I had my new wind shield put in I asked about using a universal molding and he told me he didn't have anything at the time that would fit my truck but I might be able to find something online. O ya and the "trim" is nothing more than a piece of rubber that fills the void between the wind shield and the rest of the frame to make it look nice. When they install the glass that is when the actual sealant is used.
Old 10-26-2010, 09:18 AM

I'm having the glass guy come by friday to pull my winshield out, so I can clean up and address the rust. once I finish i'm calling them back and they are gonna put the new glass in.

I have so much chit built up on the inside of the winshield that wont come off i cant see anything when driving into the sun. I think its hard water/ mineral deposits or some ˟˟˟˟ from leaks.. I tried to use all kinds of cleaners on it and nothing has worked. I got a discount on the glass cause the company I work for uses them..

I figure being able to see is worth 120 bucks.
Old 10-27-2010, 12:00 PM

I thought I saw a posting on here a while back someone used generic garage door trim. The guy obviously cut it to fit into four individual strips, but the pictures looked real nice.
Old 10-27-2010, 12:04 PM

I'm considering finding an uncracked windshield at my local Pull-A-Part location and swapping it in myself, if there's one available. Other than cutting through the sealant from the inside it doesn't seem like it would be much trouble to remove one, or would it? Haven't done it before, anyone seen a windshield removed from an '85ish yota?
Old 10-27-2010, 12:21 PM

Location: From the Bay area in cali, but currently stationed at Naval Base Bremerton, Wa
Windsheild Rust

Subscriber! I have a similar problem. Although i havent tried to pull the windsheild yet, i have noticed water dripping into the cab when it rains. Also, i have a peeled paint bubble on the roof right up against the windsheild where its rusted a bit. Im sure its leaking through the seal. The gasket/seal for the windshield looks like its been through a 200 degree summer or something, cracked Badly and maybe even dry rotted.

Does anyone know how hard it is to actually pull a windshielf on a 84ish toyota pickup and reinstal a new one yourself? Easy, hard, worth paying somebody?

Since its not a bad leak, is there a type of sealant i could just cover it up with for a semi temporary fix after i get rid of the visible rust?

Beast
Old 10-27-2010, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
We can fix your windshield too. My help does autoglass by day.

:wabbit2:
You gonna open a Louisiana branch soon? No known interest in rock crawlin' here in south LA though, just mud...
Old 10-27-2010, 07:47 PM

My neighbor who owns a body shop says he uses piano wire, whatever that is. He says it will cut the sealant right thru easily and remove the glass. I have no idea what he is talking about.
Old 10-27-2010, 08:59 PM
Xeo

At Da_beast74 removing the windshield isn't too bad as long as you have someone to help you carry it my old man and I did that on my 4Runner we used a funny looking tool it had a bent blade at the end attached to a handle along with a puller....also gave me quite a workout too.

Also when i got my windshield replaced i asked the guys at apple auto if they could use a generic black trim like on the 3rd gen 4Runners since the chrome plastic trim does more harm than good lol anyways this is how it looks on my truck I love it to be honest oh and no leaks or rust either.

and my 4Runner.
Old 10-28-2010, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by CAPTDASH
My neighbor who owns a body shop says he uses piano wire, whatever that is. He says it will cut the sealant right thru easily and remove the glass. I have no idea what he is talking about.
He's probably running thin piano wire from the inside to the outside between the frame metal and the glass, cutting the sealant. I'm thinking a thin metal scraper with a sharpened edge will get between the glass and metal to do the job.

I plan to eventually paint my truck OD green with flat black trim. So I think I'll reuse the OEM chrome plastic trim after a sanding and painting with flat black. And sanding/priming the metal around the window area and applying a few coats of OD green.

I'm going to my Pull-A-Part place later today to find a windshield, I'll let you guys know how it goes.
Old 10-28-2010, 07:34 AM

Location: From the Bay area in cali, but currently stationed at Naval Base Bremerton, Wa
Red face

Originally Posted by LSUfan71
He's probably running thin piano wire from the inside to the outside between the frame metal and the glass, cutting the sealant. I'm thinking a thin metal scraper with a sharpened edge will get between the glass and metal to do the job.

I plan to eventually paint my truck OD green with flat black trim. So I think I'll reuse the OEM chrome plastic trim after a sanding and painting with flat black. And sanding/priming the metal around the window area and applying a few coats of OD green.

I'm going to my Pull-A-Part place later today to find a windshield, I'll let you guys know how it goes.
I was planning on painting my truck OD green as well with rhino lined bed, and floor in the cab. I was then going to paint a white Allied star on it like on the WWII vehicles. Either that or all Blacked out!

Xeo - Thanks for the advice. I will definately try and get a new windshield if i can before working on that. Its worth it with all that trouble if i am going to replace the trim and seal.
Old 10-28-2010, 08:16 AM

That seal looks good. I wish I could find one. How is the seal attached to the truck? Some kind of clips or do they use the same adhesive as the glass and "glue" it in there?
Old 10-28-2010, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by CAPTDASH
I am getting ready to take out my windshield to go around the whole area to get rid of the minor rust that is starting to bubble throught the paint. My question is, is there any kind of rubber seal I can put back on around the windshield instead of the 600 bucks worth of black trim that Toyota wants to sell me? I would rather have the rubber seal because it provides more resistance to moisture than the trim Toyota uses. thanks
Here's what was recommended to me, sold at Advance Auto:
http://www.permatex.com/products/Automotive/adhesives_sealants/sealants/Permatex_Black_Silicone_Adhesive_Sealant_b.htm

Old 10-28-2010, 02:38 PM

No luck at Pull-A-Part today. There were 5 vehicles that were possible matches, all 5 had cracked windshields. Looks like I'll have to part with some $$$ for new glass.
Old 10-28-2010, 03:31 PM

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
I am in the same boat leak wise. My windshield was replaced a year ago due to leaks. Has not rained all year until last week, and I got a bit inside the passenger side. Windshield guys coming this week to fix, well hopefully. He said last year if it leaks real bad get the rust fixed. IK
5/teufelshunde/IMG_2885.jpg[/IMG]
I'll post if the new fix works, and it raining now, Dang.

Quick Reply: Windshield Rust