84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

Who has installed a Safari Snorkel on a pickup?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 10:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Who has installed a Safari Snorkel on a pickup?

So when I bought my truck the guy told me that the original owner put the snorkel on there and it has never been hooked up. So I found out that they're made for non North American trucks and so they don't come with all the hardware to be installed in N American Trucks. Ok, so then I have to figure it out on my own. Well that didn't go well. So anyone who can help me, what do I need to do?

It's an 84 pickup, 22R

As you can see it is on there, but it just pokes into the engine bay and stops.
Do I need to move this back or is it possible to go around it?

And what is this circled box in the intake do? Do I need to work it back into the intake with the snorkel? And what kind of tubing should I use to connect the snorkel and air box?
Old 09-03-2007, 11:00 AM

I think that circled box is maybe some type of intake silencer (junk you don't need) and I think you should move the coil back so you have a straight shot to the air cleaner but to do that you might need to fab up a longer plug wire to run from the coil to the distributer. maybe someone with a simalar setup can help out more.
Old 09-03-2007, 02:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just moved my coil back, its only held in by one screw but its been that way for 3 yrs or so and has never gotten loose or given me trouble. As for hooking it to your airbox just make something out of PVC. I have an EFI truck so running the tube is different for mine, yours looks to be a straight shot into the air cleaner.

Old 09-03-2007, 02:22 PM

you could probably take the intake hose setup (the one that leads to the radiator support) and rotate it 180deg. Looks like it'll lead right up to the snorkel (I dunno how well it'd seal off though).
Old 09-03-2007, 04:41 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Not sure how it is down in Cali when registering your vehicle, but in Oregon we have to go through a Dept of Enviromental Quality (DEQ) inspection every two years. I could not get my old '84 registered, they would tell me what I was missing on my intake. Anyway I was missing the flex tube and the little box you have circled. If you have to go through any inspection crap I would suggest hanging on to your stock intake just for the inspections....
Old 09-03-2007, 04:59 PM

man I'm glad I'm in vancouver WA, all they do hear is the emissions test, your vehicle can be held together by twine and duct tape but as long as it runs good your ok. I guess thats bad for other people on the road though.

Sorry for getting off topic.
Old 09-03-2007, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by XtraSlow_XtraCab
you could probably take the intake hose setup (the one that leads to the radiator support) and rotate it 180deg. Looks like it'll lead right up to the snorkel (I dunno how well it'd seal off though).
Yeah I was thinking about that but I didn't want to cut off the little mouth on the end in case I ever needed it.

Originally Posted by ocdropzone
Not sure how it is down in Cali when registering your vehicle, but in Oregon we have to go through a Dept of Enviromental Quality (DEQ) inspection every two years. I could not get my old '84 registered, they would tell me what I was missing on my intake. Anyway I was missing the flex tube and the little box you have circled. If you have to go through any inspection crap I would suggest hanging on to your stock intake just for the inspections....
Thanks. And I'm willing to bet any rules Oregon's got, Cali has an even stricter version of it.
Old 09-03-2007, 11:36 PM

oregon is VERY lax..... and the deq is for portland only. lived in oregon all my life and never had to worry about an emissions test. even when i lived in arizona for 3 years, i kept my oregon residency and arizona never made me go through their emissions test. no worries.
Old 09-04-2007, 10:38 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Originally Posted by simplypv
oregon is VERY lax..... and the deq is for portland only. lived in oregon all my life and never had to worry about an emissions test. even when i lived in arizona for 3 years, i kept my oregon residency and arizona never made me go through their emissions test. no worries.
It is expanding out of just the Portland area, Oregon City used to be free and clear to but it not so any more...
When I registered my '81 in April they looked underneath for the Cat and exhaust and popped the hood to check for the works....I was completed....and will be every two year but probably not inbetween..

Last edited by dropzone; 09-04-2007 at 10:39 AM.
Old 09-04-2007, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by Taco Eater
Thanks. And I'm willing to bet any rules Oregon's got, Cali has an even stricter version of it.
Psh... yeah we do! I failed my first smog test because the timing wasn't exactly at 4 below. The hose must be strictly factory, even with that worthless little box. They even make sure the gas cap is the right frickin color. No lie, the report noted it was red... the correct color

Of course... after you pass... you can put your cold air back on, bolt up your performance exhaust, and cut the belt leading to the smog pump
Old 11-28-2012, 09:23 AM

Could you post a pic of your snorkel and how it goes up the body?
Old 11-28-2012, 01:22 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Go to Safari Snorkel. They show a few pics and install instructions...