84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

Ride Quality?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 10:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ride Quality?

I just bought a 1985 4Runner it is real stock with 31X10.5 15's BFG KM. It is the SR5 with the 22RE motor. It rides a little rough, On smooth roads it is fine going down the freway at 75MPH I feel every little bump, is that normal? Is it possable to get good ride quality?

Last edited by RandyatBBY; 12-23-2007 at 08:48 PM.
Old 12-22-2007, 11:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah its normal to have a rough ride especially if you still have the factory springs. They're probably bottoming out on your bump stops. Do a search for suspension lifts and you should be able to find what you need. If you just want a good ride and not alot of lift the Old Man Emu lift seems to be the way to go.
Old 12-23-2007, 06:55 AM

I just went out and did a test on the suspension by pushing down on the front fender and see if there is much spring or shock asober. I did this on all four fenders. It was about the same not much movement (they look to be real stiff) but a lot of little bounces could it be the shocks and the springs are warn out? The front springs have the frown shape and there is about 2 inchs between the spring and the bump stop.
Old 12-23-2007, 08:00 AM

You front springs like most solid axle pickups/4runners(with stock springs) are completely DONE. Go get yourself some OME springs and shocks and it should give you whole lot better of a ride.
Old 12-23-2007, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by deserttoy84
You front springs like most solid axle pickups/4runners(with stock springs) are completely DONE. Go get yourself some OME springs and shocks and it should give you whole lot better of a ride.
Ok I get the done part.

Sorry to be a Toyota newbe. I do have a very capable 1974 bronco for off road/rock crawling. This yota will be my daily driver and will get very light duity off road. I want to be able to travel long distances to RC Boat races with it. I was hoping to get rid of my 1979 2wd Blazer and drive a more economical 4Runner.

On the OME springs and shocks is that Orinigal Manfactures Equipment? Or is it Old Man Emu ?

Last edited by RandyatBBY; 12-23-2007 at 09:58 AM.
Old 12-23-2007, 10:07 AM

its old man emu... Buying stock replacement springs is a waste of money IMO. The emu springs give you like 2 inches of lift which is almost not even noticeable. For price the emu is the same if not cheaper then going back to stock springs. When/If you do off road youll be glad you bought them.

Last edited by deserttoy84; 12-23-2007 at 10:09 AM.
Old 12-23-2007, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by deserttoy84
its old man emu... Buying stock replacement springs is a waste of money IMO. The emu springs give you like 2 inches of lift which is almost not even noticeable. For price the emu is the same if not cheaper then going back to stock springs. When/If you do off road youll be glad you bought them.
Thank you I was not sure. I would love to have both in one (off road/street) rig but I like to enjoy the trail with out fear of denting off road. My Bronco is ruff and ready. The Yota is stright and fairly clean and I want to make it look and ride better. I do like the lift idea, but did not want to destroy the ride quality. I want to make it better. Soften it up way too stiff. I will look more in to OME need to find the best price.

PS I feel that the stock gas tank location is bad for much off road too.

Last edited by RandyatBBY; 12-23-2007 at 10:27 AM.
Old 12-23-2007, 07:17 PM

You should really try it offroad, You will be quite pleased. The solid axle trucks/runners aren't the greatest on the road without some nicer springs and shocks. What PSI are you running in the tires, My friend had his at 40psi for the longest time until I finally asked, dropped it to 32psi and it was a night and day difference in ride quality. 2" Of lift will not destroy the ride quality at all, especially with Old Man Emu springs, I always hear they are some of the nicer riding springs.

Last edited by Island_Yota; 12-23-2007 at 07:19 PM.
Old 12-23-2007, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by Island_Yota
You should really try it offroad, You will be quite pleased. The solid axle trucks/runners aren't the greatest on the road without some nicer springs and shocks. What PSI are you running in the tires, My friend had his at 40psi for the longest time until I finally asked, dropped it to 32psi and it was a night and day difference in ride quality. 2" Of lift will not destroy the ride quality at all, especially with Old Man Emu springs, I always hear they are some of the nicer riding springs.
Thanks for responding. As far as wheeling I may some day, a little. First I need to get all the Bugs worked out. This car was dead for the last 2 years and I am bringing it back to life. The horn and hazard fuse blows each time I pit in a new fuse, There is no horn and I need to figure out the short or problem. I really think will need to move the gas, it tank hangs down way too low, I will check the air pressure the is what ever the tire co set it at. I think it needs adjusting of the cluch too. and there is more. It will be a good little rig some day. I love it when I do not get shook to pices

Old 12-24-2007, 11:29 AM

Looks like its in great shape, The gas tank should be fine, lots of people run them in that location, It has a skid plate and they can take alot of abuse. If you do move it you can either raise it up a bit, or you can mount it horizontally between the frame rails with some angle iron behind the rear axle (you'll have to get rid of the spare tire holder etc.. and figure out a place for the filler nozzle.
Old 12-24-2007, 09:56 PM

My Bronco had the side tank removed and a steel plate under the rear fuel cell. If the toyota will do light wheeling with the side tank skid plate and are able to take alot of abuse, I will just leave it like it is. I want to keep it mostly stock. But I am glad the best choice is the lite lift.
Old 12-27-2007, 10:44 PM

I have decided to go with the OME springs, bushings and greasable shackles. I read a bit about shocks on this site and it boiled down to either stock or Bilstein. So I am trying to decide on OME shocks or I need to know what Bilstein shock to run with the OME 2" lift springs?

OH My 4Runner passes smog today WaHoo!

Last edited by RandyatBBY; 12-27-2007 at 10:46 PM.
Old 12-28-2007, 01:34 AM

Originally Posted by RandyatBBY
I have decided to go with the OME springs, bushings and greasable shackles. I read a bit about shocks on this site and it boiled down to either stock or Bilstein. So I am trying to decide on OME shocks or I need to know what Bilstein shock to run with the OME 2" lift springs?

OH My 4Runner passes smog today WaHoo!
I would go with the OME shocks. If you aren't going to hang a heavy bumper and winch off the front then go with medium springs front and rear and add the medium OME shocks. You might get a bit more than 2 inches. I did but I went heavy and medium springs. I have answered a few more questions in this thread:

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f115...t-help-131271/

Take a look and see if you have any further questions.

For what it's worth, I had Rancho 5000's and stock suspension and there is absolutely no comparison in ride quality to the OME set-up. It's like having a new 4Runner.
Old 12-28-2007, 12:39 PM

Well I bit the bullet and ordered the lift kit today from 4WheelParts Preformance Center. they matched the price on the internet and went a few bucks under. I should have the kit at the shop by end of next week.
Old 01-09-2008, 09:53 PM

Well I got my kit yesterday. Springs look good, while checking the other parts first I went to the U bolts they sent me one front and one rear , Like missing 6 U bolts. Then checked the shocks, Fromt OK But the rear have one soft and one firm??? WTF!! Looking at the shackles I did not get the Greasable bolts, 1/2 of the bushings, 1/4 of the shacke end plates.

I found a much better deal on the Greasable shackles any way. Big time
http://www.datinfab.com/index.asp?Pa...TS&Category=44
Old 01-10-2008, 06:31 AM

Definately complain to 4WP... it's not OME's fault they ordered the wrong stuff and sent it to you.... good luck...
Old 01-10-2008, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by Greg_Canada
Definately complain to 4WP... it's not OME's fault they ordered the wrong stuff and sent it to you.... good luck...
It is part of the learning curve dealing with Yota/4X4 stuff, I would have hoped that they got it right the first time, But a machanic was trying to do the sales man job, 4WP is exchanging the rear shocks and refunding the parts that I do not need sence I got the Datin shackles. The good thing is the cost savings and the shackles are 5 inch long so I get a little more lift with out going crazy.
The only thing I wonder about is the front locator bar if it needs to be longer to keep the caster correct?
Old 01-10-2008, 07:24 PM

Thanks for responding. As far as wheeling I may some day, a little. First I need to get all the Bugs worked out. This car was dead for the last 2 years and I am bringing it back to life. The horn and hazard fuse blows each time I pit in a new fuse, There is no horn and I need to figure out the short or problem. I really think will need to move the gas, it tank hangs down way too low, I will check the air pressure the is what ever the tire co set it at. I think it needs adjusting of the cluch too. and there is more. It will be a good little rig some day. I love it when I do not get shook to pices

That's a great looking runner.. Sounds like your on the right track. Can I ask how much you paid for it and where your from? Sometimes I'm shocked how different areas can be. In my area, an 85 runner that isn't totally rusted out is like finding gold. I had to pay $3,000 for mine and it's far from perfect. On here I see guys buying them for $1,000 to $1,500 in decent shape, I searched for almost a year to find mine. I found at least 20 1987's durring my search but who wants IFS..?
Old 01-10-2008, 08:27 PM

It is part of the learning curve dealing with Yota/4X4 stuff, I would have hoped that they got it right the first time, But a machanic was trying to do the sales man job, 4WP is exchanging the rear shocks and refunding the parts that I do not need sence I got the Datin shackles. The good thing is the cost savings and the shackles are 5 inch long so I get a little more lift with out going crazy.
The only thing I wonder about is the front locator bar if it needs to be longer to keep the caster correct?
Answer to this problem, is to stop dealing with 4WP, they're the AutoZone of 4x4 shops.
Old 01-10-2008, 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by Smokey74
That's a great looking runner.. Sounds like your on the right track. Can I ask how much you paid for it and where your from? Sometimes I'm shocked how different areas can be. In my area, an 85 runner that isn't totally rusted out is like finding gold. I had to pay $3,000 for mine and it's far from perfect. On here I see guys buying them for $1,000 to $1,500 in decent shape, I searched for almost a year to find mine. I found at least 20 1987's durring my search but who wants IFS..?
With the the repairs so far, the new tires, used wheels, lift kit and the purchase price of car I have about $3800. in the Truck

Quick Reply: Ride Quality?